Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Bend Oregon to the Mt. Shasta Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV Trip Planner allows you to play with this... it seems to think that even with some rather aggressive assumptions (speed 1.2, 600lbs load, hot day, P85D 21" tires) this is doable on a 100% charge with reasonable margin (239 RM used).
I wouldn't try this with a 60 (speed 1.0, 600lbs, hot day, 60/19") even though that is just within range of a 100% charge (207 RM used) - but that would be way too close for comfort.

But to answer your actual question :)rolleyes:): no, I haven't done this, yet...

I've driven that route; but I stopped overnight at a campground at Crater Lake, so I can't tell you how I did charge-wise.

Whether you will make it or not depends on speed and weather. If the weather is bad, you could always slow down, though that can be aggravating. I personally wouldn't take a trip that long without a backup charging plan. Fortunately, a backup plan is pretty easy as there is a KOA in Klamath Falls that I've used in the past; you should have a pretty good idea by then if you are going to need a charge or not. I think there was also a campground in Weed in case you just fall short, though I haven't used that one.

Have fun...

I've done it in both directions in spring. No problem if you keep the speed below 65. Speed limit is 55, but, no one goes this slow. Biggest problem I had were the hateful looks I got as people passed me while I was going a mere 10 mph over the speed limit. It is also important to pay attention to the wind.

We are taking delivery of an 85D later this month. We live about 15 miles North of Bend making the run to Mt Shasta SC 236 miles. Has anyone used the Klamath Falls KOA charger? A bit of last minute range anxiety. THANKS!!

Camped there once on the way to crater lake. They have a NEMA 14-50 that is dedicated for vehicle charging and not in a hook-up site. It was no charge (cost, it charged fine) when we stayed there. I am sure that they would let you charge there. Call them to confirm and for cost.

I've done it in both directions in spring. No problem if you keep the speed below 65. Speed limit is 55, but, no one goes this slow. Biggest problem I had were the hateful looks I got as people passed me while I was going a mere 10 mph over the speed limit. It is also important to pay attention to the wind.

Uh, I just came down from Bend to Shasta a week ago. There were LOTS of trucks, and quite a few slower cars, campers, pickups, etc. doing (gasp!) the SPEED LIMIT. Some were doing 5 over. I never noticed anyone giving me or anyone else "hateful looks", and I wonder if that is a fig of the imaginewton based on some sort of guilt. You do not have to do as everyone else does, as your mother used to tell you. Our system of driving allows for some to go slower than others. And it allows those who feel guilt, or guilty pleasure of going 10, 15, 20 or 25 miles over the speed limit, to pass, as long as they are not caught on radar. In my experience, I have seen people pulled over for doing 5 over in Oregon.

Doing 60 in Oregon, and 65 to 70 in California, I easily made the trip from Bend to Shasta, picking up an additional 20 miles of buffer (started the 220 mile trip with 240 rated miles on the Batt, ended with 40 miles at Shasta). 'Tweren't any big deal.