Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preparing for my baby - HPWC Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, today my son and I dug the trench and installed the conduit and wiring for the HPWC. I haven't even ordered MS yet! :wink:

I'm only setting a 50 amp breaker, thus will order only a single charger. So, we went to Home Depot to get the #6 wire and the #4 wire was only a penny more per LF, so I got that. Beefy stuff! 1" conduit, flexible conduit, fittings, glue, all cost about $250 to go the 90 feet from breaker to the location of the future HPWC. Now, getting really excited.

You might see the existing Volt 3/4" conduit in the trench. We've already installed the other line for my son when he gets the Volt in 7 months! We'll relocate the Voltec Charger for him then.

Ordering MS in 14 days - on my birthday!

Tesla Trench 2.jpg
Tesla Trench 1.jpg

If you put in #4 wire and have the panel capacity, go ahead and put in an 80 Amp breaker and set the HPWC appropriately. Some day you may put in the dual charger and can then charge at 64 Amps at home or a dual charger car may visit and use the 64 Amps.

If you put in #4 wire and have the panel capacity, go ahead and put in an 80 Amp breaker and set the HPWC appropriately. Some day you may put in the dual charger and can then charge at 64 Amps at home or a dual charger car may visit and use the 64 Amps.

My service is only a 150 and I've got the Volt charging too. I think the 50 will do just fine for my needs.

It would be pretty dumb to order this car and take delivery sooner than when my son starts driving the Volt in December. I've got to be patient and just sit tight. I may find an inventory vehicle (85D) that meets the specs - that's why I thought ordering early and then postponing delivery until November seems right. We'll see. Regardless, I'll be ready to take an inventory vehicle early if it fits now with my charger! :)

My service is only a 150 and I've got the Volt charging too. I think the 50 will do just fine for my needs.

Even with a dual charger, I don't want to allocate more than 50 amps of my 200 amp panel to charging (NEMA 14-50). After charging my Volt at Level 2 16 amps (3.3 kW), going to nearly 10 kW that will seem like a lot. In fact, I plan to use the Voltec charger mostly for Model S and just the NEMA 14-50 if I need to go a bit faster or have a second car charging at the same time.

I may find an inventory vehicle (85D) that meets the specs - that's why I thought ordering early and then postponing delivery until November seems right. We'll see. Regardless, I'll be ready to take an inventory vehicle early if it fits now with my charger! :)

Smart move. My Owner Advisor was asking me to consider doing this myself. I was sure I wanted a Tesla, so he talked about locking in a price and delaying the delivery for months out, so that I could then shift my deposit over to an inventory car when the right one came by. The perk was I locked in pricing at that point. So if you find the config as new to be a good price/package, that is an option. Note, it cuts both ways. While typically the price increases, sometimes it decreases (introduction of 70D vs. 85D). So if you think the packages or prices might change (for instance, a larger battery coming out by November), then locking in now means paying a $500 change fee.

Smart move. My Owner Advisor was asking me to consider doing this myself. I was sure I wanted a Tesla, so he talked about locking in a price and delaying the delivery for months out, so that I could then shift my deposit over to an inventory car when the right one came by. The perk was I locked in pricing at that point. So if you find the config as new to be a good price/package, that is an option. Note, it cuts both ways. While typically the price increases, sometimes it decreases (introduction of 70D vs. 85D). So if you think the packages or prices might change (for instance, a larger battery coming out by November), then locking in now means paying a $500 change fee.

I'm ok if there's a larger battery later this year. Florida is covered with SCs and the 240 range of the 70D will be plenty for me. I've gone over 100 miles all electric with my Volt on numerous occasions - I'm really good at charging/topping off during the day. I had my office install a NEMA 14-50 for me near a parking space so I could plug in my portable clipper creek! I've got juice everywhere!

But, just in case the right inventory car comes around, or my wife lets me take delivery early, I wanted everything at home ready. Plus, I really didn't want to dig this 80 foot trench in the heat of August!