Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what year did the mirror start to fold in ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what option do you need to get for that ?

If the car lacks something like the tech package, chances are there will be bigger concerns than whether the mirrors fold in. Pinning these things down to a specific date can prove to be difficult or impossible. I'm in a similar situation with autopilot and am reasonably certain that I know what the first date was that cars entered production and ended up with it. But since delivery dates had other factors, such as shipping, there's no definitive date of sale that would tell you anything. VIN won't tell you anything, and whether or not a person ordered a specific package won't tell you anything.

All I can say is that the mirrors folded all along, as my son proved in a different car when his girlfriend totaled it...but I assume you mean automatically. For that, the closest you might come is knowing a time frame when the feature definitely didn't exist, one where it would have been on a car with the tech package, and one in between that might depend on where a person picked the car up, what country it went to, etc.

what option do you need to get for that ?

I ordered (Sep 2013) and it wasn't available but it was included in my build when the car delivered (early Dec 2013) without a change to my purchase price.
I've lived with it as my dirty little secret. :redface:
And frankly, I'm very glad because the garage spacing turned out to be tight so I don't know what I'd be doing without them. :smile:

Also, if you are looking for a used Model S and it does not have Auto-Folding Mirrors, then those can be added for an additional cost. I have an early Model S manufactured in Dec-2012 (VIN 03218) with tech. package and was able to have the electric folding mirror added a year later.