Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird how two nav screens are always so different

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one in the driver's screen is faster, it updates routes quickly if you deviate from the route. Sometimes the large screen will take another 15+ seconds to show the same updated route. That's odd enough, but today the driver's screen showed the destination as a left turn, and the large screen showed a right turn. And the spot I was going to was like 200 ft from the street I was on - but they figured it differently (and the large screen was wrong). Weird!

The Navigon map database is not updated frequently.

I've had my P85 for over 2 years - and have only received one map update.

While the Google maps being displayed on the touchscreen are kept up-to-date - and navigation destination searches appear to be done using a Google database, the actual driving directions are generated with the much older Navigon database - causing problems whenever there have been recent road changes.

Unfortunately even when the Navigon database is updated - it's still relatively old. I live in a new house that was constructed last year - on a street that's been here for at least 5 years - and in a new development that's added through streets in the last two years connecting to the area's major highways. While the Google maps show everything correctly, the Navigon database doesn't have the recent (within last 2 years) changes - so all routes to/from my house are incorrect. And the Navigon routes all stop short of my house - because that database doesn't know there's a house at my address...

Either Tesla should shift to using the Google map data entirely or at least update the Navigon data more frequently (once a quarter?).

Well, a qualified "yes".

That thread was started 8 months ago and some folks reported getting updates. I never have... and it seemed like only a (small?) subset of folks ever did get an update.

Hmmm.. maybe time for a poll...

Is your car never connected to wifi ?

A quick google search gets me this: map updates! - Page 3
So, no definitive answer, but it could explain why some don't seem to get the navigon map update.

One thing I noticed last week for the first time is the map next to the speedometer is usually in schematic form, like the 17" screen, but occasionally comes a pictorial of the road. Any rhyme or reason for that?

I suspect what you are seeing is the "lane guidance" feature: if you are coming up to a road split, or exit where multiple lanes head off one direction, etc... the dash map will overlay an image of all the lanes and shade the ones you need to keep in to make the upcoming turns, etc... they pop up and then go away once you've completed the maneuver..

This was from before the map updates.

IMG_2122.jpg

Notice how the map in the touch screen shows a left turn from where I am and the dash map shows I should go straight.