Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSW Nurburgring 20" as All-Season Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read that several people have chosen 20" wheels as a good balance between the 19" and 21" options offered by Tesla. I ordered my 85D with the stock 19" wheels because I didn't want to deal with pothole issues in Chicago and didn't want to swap out the wheels every winter.

Can any owners of the Nurburgrings (or really any 20" wheels) help me with these questions:

1. I am thinking of going with 20x9 for all four wheels so I can rotate them and get better life out of the tires. The staggered setup looks great, but I would prefer longer tire life. Have others done this with the TSW wheels?
  2. Is there a recommended all-season tire for these 20x9 wheels? Has anyone used the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 year round and in snow? Would it work in a cold Chicago winter climate?
  3. Do you choose the 19" or 21" wheel setting on the Tesla for TPMS purposes? What PSI is required to avoid TPMS alerts with this setup?
  4. I understand that a 35mm offset seems to be recommended for these wheels. Is there anything else I need to know about different lug setups or anything?
  5. Would anyone who went this route now recommend against it? Has tire life been as expected? How about ride quality?

Thanks!

1- Your logic is the same as mine, and I'm in Cleveland Ohio. We have the same quality of roads. So yes, I went 20x9 all around for easy rotation, longer tire life, and a good happy medium of style and size.

2- I'm running that EXACT tire and love it thus far. I've not seen snow, and since my car is na 85D and AWD, and I've had Quattro Audi vehicles w/snow tires that are unstoppable, I'll spend the money for a dedicated winter setup. Hence I cannot speak to the winter capabilities of these tires, nor will I be in the future.

3- I'm fairly certain the tire pressure settings the car looks for is now the same across all size wheels, but that is something your service center could answer. They installed my wheels/tires for me, and set my tire pressures, and I've never had issues or lights come on. Not sure what pressure they have them set to, sorry.

4- Make sure the wheels you buy are 5x120 bolt pattern. You'll need to also make sure you have hub centric rings that work for the car. I ordered my entire setup from Discount Tire Direct and it came with the needed wheel lug nuts you'll need (conical type for aftermarket wheels) as well as the required plastic hub centricity rings. Basically turn key, ready to go, nothing else needed.

5- Although I loved my TSW wheels, nice strong light weight, I got black ones and decided to go with a more flashy silver wheel. But from ride quality, happiness of wheel quality, etc-- this setup was PERFECT and I'd definitely vote FOR you getting it. You won't be disappointed. Hope this info helps... if you have any other specific questions feel free to PM me.... or reply here, tho I don't read the forums but on occasion and might miss it... cheers!

View attachment 77239

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Thanks for all the info. My local tire shop told me that 245/40-20 tires are too small for 20" wheels. I assume that is not correct because I have heard several people using this tire size. Are others using larger sizes for more sidewall/protection? Does that cause rubbing on the wheel well at full turn?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Thanks for all the info. My local tire shop told me that 245/40-20 tires are too small for 20" wheels. I assume that is not correct because I have heard several people using this tire size. Are others using larger sizes for more sidewall/protection? Does that cause rubbing on the wheel well at full turn?[/COLOR]

@scruzloose33,
245/40R20 is the closest match to rolling circumference to the stock 245/45R19. I've seen a couple reports on using 255/40R20 but it is a tight fit for the front and very sensitive to offset and tire choice to avoid rubbing, and the rolling circumference will have >1% error. My writeup is here and there is a rolling circumference calculator linked in that thread: Musterion's New Staggered Ride (20 wheels + XPEL wrap + Opticoat + Alignment)

I have gotten bad info from tire shops more often than good info. 245/40-20 is precisely the front size you want. In terms of overall diameter/revs per mile and width, that size is effectively identical to stock. And you can run them all around with 20*9" 35ET Nurburgrings. I will be running that size in front and 285/30-20 on the rear with 20*10s, also ET35. I have the wheels; just need the dang car! Delivery in 4 days!

I have gotten bad info from tire shops more often than good info. 245/40-20 is precisely the front size you want. In terms of overall diameter/revs per mile and width, that size is effectively identical to stock. And you can run them all around with 20*9" 35ET Nurburgrings. I will be running that size in front and 285/30-20 on the rear with 20*10s, also ET35. I have the wheels; just need the dang car! Delivery in 4 days!
Hope you fitted 285/35-20 in the rear. /30 is way too small.

Thanks for the info. I definitely will find a different tire shop.

Has anyone seen the Nurburgring wheels on a Midnight Silver Metallic Model S? I am trying to decide between the matte gunmetal and the mirrored face options. I am curious how closely the gunmetal matches the Tesla gray and whether the "mirrored face" it actually mirrored or if it is just a machined face. Unfortunately, I can't find a local store that has either in stock.

Has anyone seen the Nurburgring wheels on a Midnight Silver Metallic Model S? I am trying to decide between the matte gunmetal and the mirrored face options. I am curious how closely the gunmetal matches the Tesla gray and whether the "mirrored face" it actually mirrored or if it is just a machined face. Unfortunately, I can't find a local store that has either in stock.

Did you end up pulling the trigger on the Gunmetal Nurburgring wheels? I'm looking at this exact same setup.

If so, what tire shop did you end up using to install? Also, please post a pic! :)

IMG_7605.JPG
IMG_7807.JPG
IMG_7808.JPG
IMG_9068.JPG

20" TSW nurburgring wheels with mirror cut finish. Got them from Jason and getyourwheels.com and they came fully mounted, balanced, sensors etc (just had to inflate tires a bit as they deflate for shipping purposes). Swapped wheels no problem. Fashioned my own centercaps. If you want more pics or details feel free to PM me. Cheers

View attachment 107657View attachment 107658View attachment 107659View attachment 107660

20" TSW nurburgring wheels with mirror cut finish. Got them from Jason and getyourwheels.com and they came fully mounted, balanced, sensors etc (just had to inflate tires a bit as they deflate for shipping purposes). Swapped wheels no problem. Fashioned my own centercaps. If you want more pics or details feel free to PM me. Cheers
Do you have spacers too? Those wheels really do look gorgeous. I’m looking at the package you have from the link, it looks like 2200 all set and done.

I didn’t use spacers with mine. You can see it on the TSW website on the Nürburgring page: it’s the blue old-style S with the gunmetal wheels and custom matching Tesla ‘T’ center caps. The rear fitment is about as aggro as you could go and not hit the fender. I no longer use these and I’d sell them. One has a bad scrape but the other 3 are perfect and all 4 are straight.