Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer tires in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
This post is for the flipside of the winter tires in summer thread.

If a Roadster with summer tires (AD07 front, AD08 rear) happens to get caught in a little snow (for example, the roads might have been clear the night before but there was an unexpected light snowstorm overnight), how well does it do?

This post is for the flipside of the winter tires in summer thread.

If a Roadster with summer tires (AD07 front, AD08 rear) happens to get caught in a little snow (for example, the roads might have been clear the night before but there was an unexpected light snowstorm overnight), how well does it do?

I had this happen once this past winter. It was very cold out and the roads had not been treated. I ran out for an errand on a clear afternoon. While I was gone, a dusting of snow came in...and the car was practically undriveable! It was all over the road. Doing under 5 MPH, I could feel the back end just sliding all over the place. Scary stuff.

I once took the Roadster out briefly on AD07's in some fresh snow, just to see how well it drove. I was amazed - pretty good.

Of course it is not uncommon for Roadster owners to be surprised at how little rear tread they have left... If you didn't have much left then you'd be all over the place.