Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA % of Your Portfolio

What percentage of your total portfolio is invested in TSLA?

• 0%

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • 1% to 5%

Votes: 24 11.9%
  • 6% to 10%

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • 11% to 20%

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • 21% to 30%

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • 31% to 40%

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • 41% to 50%

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 51% to 60%

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • 61% to 70%

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • 71% to 80%

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • 81% to 90%

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • 91% to 95%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 96% to 100%

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • 100%+ (leveraged)

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poll is anonymous.

As I battle with my own desire to just sock every dollar away in TSLA, I am often curious how others' portfolios are weighted.

The goal is to understand the % of investable wealth held in TSLA.

Included:
Stocks
Bonds
Cash
Rental Properties
Peer Lending

Excluded:
Personal Home
Depreciating Assets

I am not sure how to account for margin here? I suppose the best way to do it is to use only non-margin dollars on your base and include margin dollars on your total. And then I would think options should just be counted at the current value despite the leverage. If someone else has a better or more clear explanation, please let me know.

If I missed something else in the explanation, let me know.

Feel free to add any commentary.

Last edited:
To clarify your intent, is the % of total wealth, liquid wealth, or something else?

Perhaps someone can help me define more clearly. Percentage of investable wealth is my goal. It is tricky because people have different definitions. I do not view a personal house as part of invested wealth, just as an asset to me. Whereas a rental property is clearly an investment. Maybe someone can expound on my list, I am sure I am missing plenty of things.

Included:
Stocks
Bonds
Cash
Rental Properties
Peer Lending

Excluded:
Personal Home
Depreciating Assets

I can see there isn't a lot of belief in modern portfolio theory here.
Certainly not universally held. I'm merely overweight in TSLA, and I justify that because I have substantially better information about the company than the market, thanks in large part to our collective insights here. MPT assumes no private information, and that assumption does not hold with TSLA.

Reactions: TrendTrader007

Well, I feel that I have a good reason for doing it myself. It's money that I don't care if it drops substantially (retirement savings are elsewhere and not involved in Tesla). The only other place to put that money is into a mortgage I'll have paid off in 5 years anyways. I don't spend a lot of money and I save a good amount. Unless I lose my job, I'm not worried and would rather have this huge-risk play to kick-start a very strong investments egg as realistically I don't forsee my regular income ever hitting a substantial number.

I'm eventually aiming to diversify my portfolio to supplement my regular income, but that could take 20-30 years without a high risk play. This could very well shorten that timeframe down to 5-10 years.

I call it millennial investing :biggrin:

Diversification is great if all potential investments are known to be roughly equal. As the known disparity between potential investments increases, diversification becomes increasingly unfavorable. I'm ~60% TSLA.

For a great book on risk and reward see "Risk and Reward" by Lara Buchak, a young prof. at Berkeley, imo she brings to a close the questions posed by Rawls.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Isn't MPT the equivalent of covering a lot of numbers on a roulette wheel because the odds of any number hitting are the same and you can't predict the outcome? I believe we have something special with Tesla that most people still don't understand. I feel like I'm cheating by betting big on a company that I know is going to win big because I've experienced the superior product, and I understand their growth strategy.

Way too much for a healthy, well balanced diet, with a dash of Solarcity for garnish too. :tongue: I think together they will rapidly grow into a select group of companies with a clear path to success in a mid-term future that will not bode well for those who are unable to quickly adapt. I would prefer to blaze the trail with the shiniest red robots and the smartest engineers. Plus to quote Marge Simpson, Tesla is probably my best 'aholic' ever!

The majority of my investments are in index funds, because I'm more concerned with long term progress and not having to watch things daily. I'll buy a few individual stocks as more of a "play investment" than anything else. If I lose in them, then it angers me, but it really doesn't effect my retirement savings.

Years ago, my father told me "pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered", which has been investment advice that's served me pretty well.

All that said, I'm still very much a fan of Musk & Tesla, and remain bullish on TSLA long term.

I Agree.

I find the risk related to being exposed to few companies is mitigated by the greater level of control I can acquire by knowing them intimately.

Plus blind faith :p
I thought this way too and got sucked into the GTAT debacle last year. I was spending 2+ hours a day for several months reading everything I could on the company, like I did when I first got into TSLA. My biggest failing other than putting too much money into that stock was trusting the CEO when he painted rosy pictures of the future of the company. I was in it for the long haul and was ok with any huge drops in the stock as long as the company recovered. I never thought they would unexpectedly declare bankruptcy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can know a company extremely well and still get hit by black swan events. That's why my 401K and HSA are mostly index funds. With that said, the majority of my non-retirement funds are in TSLA as I feel having Elon as CEO is almost kryptonite to many "blackswan events" that you may encounter for other companies thanks to his insight into potential problems and perseverance in working through encountered problems. He isn't magic though; he won't be able to stop earthquakes in Freemont or his own death. He is mortal just like the rest of us.

I thought this way too and got sucked into the GTAT debacle last year. I was spending 2+ hours a day for several months reading everything I could on the company, like I did when I first got into TSLA. My biggest failing other than putting too much money into that stock was trusting the CEO when he painted rosy pictures of the future of the company. I was in it for the long haul and was ok with any huge drops in the stock as long as the company recovered. I never thought they would unexpectedly declare bankruptcy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can know a company extremely well and still get hit by black swan events. That's why my 401K and HSA are mostly index funds. With that said, the majority of my non-retirement funds are in TSLA as I feel having Elon as CEO is almost kryptonite to many "blackswan events" that you may encounter for other companies thanks to his insight into potential problems and perseverance in working through encountered problems. He isn't magic though; he won't be able to stop earthquakes in Freemont or his own death. He is mortal just like the rest of us.

Forgive me for being ignorant since I never followed gtat. But what was the result of your research on GTAT's CEO?