Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Subwoofer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a difficult time justifying the $2500 for the Ultra High Fidelity system. Has anyone installed a subwoofer and is there a stock connection/port somewhere? There has to be right?

Thanks for your help. I'll take this $2500 and put it towards the 85D if I can swing it!

I just had the NVX set up installed and I have premium sound. It completely changes the dynamics of the sound in the car - great improvement and Im REALLY surprised how much kick is in that small set up. Two things to note. First, it now comes with a speaker cover and it looks much better as a result. Second is you want to add an accessible gain control close by to adjust up and down if you listen to a variety of music types....it can overpower if its not tuned right....MORE than enough power.

Nice work NVX!

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37729-Subwoofer-Installation-in-Model-S

This was the standard sound package with an added 10" JBL with NVX 300watt Class D Mono amp. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty with a custom box build (fiberglass/MDF construction), this is by far the most bang for the buck you can get. The NVX amp/sub package and the Reus package are just too much money IMO, when all you really need is that low-end.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37729-Subwoofer-Installation-in-Model-S

This was the standard sound package with an added 10" JBL with NVX 300watt Class D Mono amp. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty with a custom box build (fiberglass/MDF construction), this is by far the most bang for the buck you can get. The NVX amp/sub package and the Reus package are just too much money IMO, when all you really need is that low-end.

Great for those that have the added 4 to 6 hours of time to spare and want to do their own install. That said, I got my entire NVX kit for 990.00 (you mention 700.00 for the box alone - thats not accurate). Yours was 600.00 and even as a rate of 50.00/hour its almost a wash in terms of pricing equality.

Great for those that have the added 4 to 6 hours of time to spare and want to do their own install. That said, I got my entire NVX kit for 990.00 (you mention 700.00 for the box alone - thats not accurate). Yours was 600.00 and even as a rate of 50.00/hour its almost a wash in terms of pricing equality.

Prices may have changed, the nvx sub and enclosure alone was 700 at the time I was deciding. And yes, there was my labor involved, but the secret subsidy to the cost was love.

Also talk to Reus. They seem to be the best with MS.

Reus.com

They are in CA!? I'm in Florida. I'm sure there's someone in Tampa or Miami that can compete with the Reus system.

- - - Updated - - -

Prices may have changed, the nvx sub and enclosure alone was 700 at the time I was deciding. And yes, there was my labor involved, but the secret subsidy to the cost was love.

You da man Supra! Loving your box! Nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Cyclone. I'm very aware of this and I think it'll be my back-up. I am looking more at Supra's 10" JL instead of the 8" NVX as the larger woofer will provide deeper bass. I listen to a lot of 80s electronica stuff - which my son now actually likes. Weird bass grooves in there ...

Thanks for sharing though! I'll let you know what I decide, but I think I'm deciding to go standard audio and add later (so I can afford the SAS!) cs

- - - Updated - - -

Skilly & jepicken,

You both had the premium and yet felt you needed to add the NVX sub. Can I ask why? Knowing what you know now, would you have ordered the standard system and then added the NVX sub? Would it be about the same? Thanks for your feedback.

Skilly & jepicken,

You both had the premium and yet felt you needed to add the NVX sub. Can I ask why? Knowing what you know now, would you have ordered the standard system and then added the NVX sub? Would it be about the same? Thanks for your feedback.

I think you've confused me with someone else. I have standard audio, and I'm looking to add a sub to fill in the low end, but haven't done anything yet. I'm considering the NVX kit just because it's custom made for the Model S and reasonably priced, but it seems like overkill - I don't want super loud, thumping bass that people can hear from 100 feet away. I'm also thinking about building a box myself, similar to Subwoofer Installation in Model S. Finding 6 hours to do the work will be a challenge though...

I think you've confused me with someone else. I have standard audio, and I'm looking to add a sub to fill in the low end, but haven't done anything yet. I'm considering the NVX kit just because it's custom made for the Model S and reasonably priced, but it seems like overkill - I don't want super loud, thumping bass that people can hear from 100 feet away. I'm also thinking about building a box myself, similar to Subwoofer Installation in Model S. Finding 6 hours to do the work will be a challenge though...

jepicken, from what I understand, you can dial the volume of the subwoofer to match your liking/taste for your music. If you don't want to hear it a mile away, you won't. But, if you want it loud for something else, just dial it up. And I think I read somewhere you can have that dial mounted up near your driver's seat - it doesn't have to be in the trunk. My family has chosen a couple specific songs and we've got a test drive tomorrow (to compare air and coils) that we're bringing our thumb drive to. We'll listen to the SAME songs in both the standard and the premium to see the difference. I'm not sure we have the budget to get both the air suspension AND the premium audio, but we'll see how badly the wife (CFO) wants the premium sound! Otherwise, I'll be in your boat.

Maybe we need to see how many people want the enclosure for a sub. If you're making 1, you might as well make 10 or 20 once you have the mold/template to go by, right?! If I go this route, I'll let you know and I'll at least make more than 1!

Getting mine installed in a week. I am interested in what you set the following to on the amp:

Subsonic
Phase
Boost frequency
Bass boost
LPF

Thanks

Hello,

Would like to know if there is a difference between the premium sound package and UHF (is this just Tesla changing their terminology?). I have the latter on my P85 and would like to look at some audio tweaks. First thing to mind would be updating the existing sub/sub amp. I can see moving to a 10" sub with a better amp. Seems like some folks are keeping the stock sub and adding something like the NVX to the left cubby hole. Two subs fighting for the same low frequencies (doesn't seem ideal to me). Especially when you can dial in a nice JL 10" with a Class D sub amp....

Thx.

Last edited:
I emailed JL and they responded that they have no plans to build a Stealth box for the Tesla. One option may be to put a box in the back trunk well. I like the look of the nice clean install of the NVX.

The premium sound has not changed. Tesla changed the name and raised the price from $1,000 to $2,500.

I emailed JL and they responded that they have no plans to build a Stealth box for the Tesla. One option may be to put a box in the back trunk well. I like the look of the nice clean install of the NVX.

The premium sound has not changed. Tesla changed the name and raised the price from $1,000 to $2,500.

Bummer. I think with the number of MSs now on the road, I would think that JL could justify a custom build.

Need to search the forum to see if the OEM sub enclosure can be modified to accept a larger driver. Assuming we can replace the sub amp with something a little more robust.

Since I'm now closer to 50 than 25, I can't distinguish the higher frequencies.... :frown:. Although, I still crave an audio system that is able to provide imaging, soundstage and articulating mid/sub bass. Sound quality over SPL!

Since I'm now closer to 50 than 25, I can't distinguish the higher frequencies.... :frown:. Although, I still crave an audio system that is able to provide imaging, soundstage and articulating mid/sub bass. Sound quality over SPL!

Amen to that. I'm only 43, but much prefer the deep bass to the higher trebles. I will need the NVX solution at a minimum. I would prefer a 12" woofer, but not sure it will fit (well).