Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cquartz and zaino

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been hearing great things about cquartz and I'm considering getting it done. I still have a ton of Zaino products (all I have been using for years). My question is...is it that much better than Zaino? Or can I, should I, apply Zaino on top of cquartz? I have heard using Z8 on top of the cquartz but what about Z2? Or should I just do the cquartz and the reload?

I'm so used to Zaino and I love how slick it feels. I see applying Zaino as therapy so it is a little hard to let go.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I have been hearing great things about cquartz and I'm considering getting it done. I still have a ton of Zaino products (all I have been using for years). My question is...is it that much better than Zaino? Or can I, should I, apply Zaino on top of cquartz? I have heard using Z8 on top of the cquartz but what about Z2? Or should I just do the cquartz and the reload?

I'm so used to Zaino and I love how slick it feels. I see applying Zaino as therapy so it is a little hard to let go.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Which cquartz are you referring to?

Thing to remember is that the paint correction needs to be spot on for the cquartz to perform and look great. Depending on which cquartz you get, they all will outperform zaino in durability as they are nano in nature and zaino is a synthetic wax.

So, maintenance and scratch resistance becomes the value proposition of nano coating.

You can get the same slick feel once you nano and use CarPro Reload to maintain.

You don't, shouldn't, apply anything on top of nano coatings...it will clog up the nano matrix structure. We've had to shift our thinking and care of cars protection and appearance since nano...sign of the times ;)

Hope this helps.

I highly recommend CQuartz. Had it done on my previous vehicle and was completely satisfied. If done properly (i.e. car prep - clay, Iron X, Erasure, cquartz (x2) and then Reload) should give you coating/protection/glass look for quite some time. Does a great job on wheels also. Brake dust is removed with just a quick spray.

I have found that CQuartz works/looks best on darker finishes. I should say it is much more obvious on darker finishes. Although, my last couple of cars have been silver. Love the black look, but once of out the garage, well you know.......

Last edited:
I originally used Zaino (Z2 with ZFX because I have no patience). While it was slick and kept my car looking cleaner longer, it had to be reapplied after 6 or 7 months. And of course it did nothing for the swirl marks and scratches. So instead of reapplying, I took my car to a professional for paint correction and coating. He recommended cquartz finest, so we went with that.

It'll last at least twice as long, offers greater protection, and is definitely more hydrophobic. Having an almost black car, some kind of quality coating is a must IMO. I don't want to wash it only to have it look filthy the next day. I've not regretted having a pro make my car look it's best, and he gave me very detailed advice on how to wash it, along with a list of products he uses to wash a coated car with (and I found it interesting that these were not expensive products at all). He recommended washing with Reset which I assume is similar to Reload. I've followed his advice to the letter, because he's the professional, not me!

1ton, where in FL are you?

Thanks for the detailed info. If you don't mind me asking, how much were you charged? I have a person that I know who owes a detail shop that wants to do it to my car. My hesitation is that I'm very detailed (very ocd) about my car and I just can't imagine someone else doing a better job detailing my car.

I'm in Orlando. You said you're in Seminole - I'm near Seminole county. Does that count?

I originally used Zaino (Z2 with ZFX because I have no patience). While it was slick and kept my car looking cleaner longer, it had to be reapplied after 6 or 7 months. And of course it did nothing for the swirl marks and scratches. So instead of reapplying, I took my car to a professional for paint correction and coating. He recommended cquartz finest, so we went with that.

It'll last at least twice as long, offers greater protection, and is definitely more hydrophobic. Having an almost black car, some kind of quality coating is a must IMO. I don't want to wash it only to have it look filthy the next day. I've not regretted having a pro make my car look it's best, and he gave me very detailed advice on how to wash it, along with a list of products he uses to wash a coated car with (and I found it interesting that these were not expensive products at all). He recommended washing with Reset which I assume is similar to Reload. I've followed his advice to the letter, because he's the professional, not me!

1ton, where in FL are you?

Thanks for the detailed info. If you don't mind me asking, how much were you charged? I have a person that I know who owes a detail shop that wants to do it to my car. My hesitation is that I'm very detailed (very ocd) about my car and I just can't imagine someone else doing a better job detailing my car.

I'm in Orlando. You said you're in Seminole - I'm near Seminole county. Does that count?
nope, two different things, I once got married at the Seminole County courthouse... The day the space shuttle Challenger blew up actually... I was living in Altamonte Springs at the time, but I digress.

I got a real deal, but it would have been about $800. And trust me, I've met several of these professional guys and there is NO one with worse OCD and attention to detail. These guys use microscopes to check how deep a scratch is to know how to proceed.

I took mine to Masterwork Detail in Tampa, but I don't think Aaron Bodle there travels. His good buddy and also a true pro, Pete Borras at First Impression in Sarasota does. If you're really thinking about doing any coating i would highly recommend you contact either of them. If they can't do it they can probably recommend someone in your area (these guys have a pretty tight community and the really good ones all seem to know each other well).

While not cheap, you really do get what you pay for. To me, it's worth every penny to walk out a week or longer after I've washed my nearly black car, and still see a shiny, beautiful vehicle!

So Seminole is near Tampa? I haven't heard of it as a city.

My friend was only going to charge me $350. Yeah super cheap. Makes me a little worried. Lol. I have seen pictures of his work but that's not really saying much. I love detailing my car. Im like a closet car nerd that no one knows about. I applied 3 coats of z2 and a coat of z8 over the weekend. Its my stress reliever. Doing something where you see instant results and you get to bond with your car.

nope, two different things, I once got married at the Seminole County courthouse... The day the space shuttle Challenger blew up actually... I was living in Altamonte Springs at the time, but I digress.

I got a real deal, but it would have been about $800. And trust me, I've met several of these professional guys and there is NO one with worse OCD and attention to detail. These guys use microscopes to check how deep a scratch is to know how to proceed.

I took mine to Masterwork Detail in Tampa, but I don't think Aaron Bodle there travels. His good buddy and also a true pro, Pete Borras at First Impression in Sarasota does. If you're really thinking about doing any coating i would highly recommend you contact either of them. If they can't do it they can probably recommend someone in your area (these guys have a pretty tight community and the really good ones all seem to know each other well).

While not cheap, you really do get what you pay for. To me, it's worth every penny to walk out a week or longer after I've washed my nearly black car, and still see a shiny, beautiful vehicle!

So Seminole is near Tampa? I haven't heard of it as a city.

It's a bit northwest of St. Petersburg.

Google Maps

I'll second the recommendation of a nano-coating. FIPete did mine with Opticoat and instructed me on how to keep it slick with C2V3. The good guys like Pete and Aaron will talk to you about the color of your car the characteristics of the various coatings before making a recommendation. $350 sounds like a screaming deal but, as you said, your friend may not really know this stuff as well as he should. Ask around in the community before handing the car over.

Sounds good. PM me the contact information. My car is white. Would love to see some results of white cars with the stuff on it and compare to mine.

It's a bit northwest of St. Petersburg.

Google Maps

I'll second the recommendation of a nano-coating. FIPete did mine with Opticoat and instructed me on how to keep it slick with C2V3. The good guys like Pete and Aaron will talk to you about the color of your car the characteristics of the various coatings before making a recommendation. $350 sounds like a screaming deal but, as you said, your friend may not really know this stuff as well as he should. Ask around in the community before handing the car over.

...I took mine to Masterwork Detail in Tampa, but I don't think Aaron Bodle there travels. His good buddy and also a true pro, Pete Borras at First Impression in Sarasota does. ...

Sounds good. PM me the contact information. My car is white. Would love to see some results of white cars with the stuff on it and compare to mine.

Here, let me get those links for you.

https://www.facebook.com/MasterworkDetail

First Impression Premier Auto Detail - Sarasota

Is cQuartz like Opti-coat, in that if its improperly applied it can leave permanent "haze" spots on the car? That's what happened to my first Model S.

Not a lot of products out there are "permanent" as claimed by manufacturer. So, even a poorly installed coating, usually is polished away using proper technique. CQuartz is nano and opti-coat is not. Two different technologies and each has its strength and weakness.

LoL Rick; said:

I've heard nothing but great things about Pete with First Impressions as well. I'm in Sarasota and can't wait for him to Opti-Coat mine. First I have to order it (8 days) and then take delivery (170 days) . . . guh.

Last edited: