Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall selling spectacularly already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
"Tesla CEO says demand for energy storage systems has been overwhelming, after 38,000 Powerwall units ordered since product was announced"

there may be some doubters, but there sure are $100m+ of early adopters already.

Respect to Elon.

inaccurate quote. they have 38,000 reservations from the energy page. there are no orders yet. let anyone who has an order signed and accepted by tesla or their providers say so here!

its really disappointing to see how this is being handled. respect for the idea maybe, not the roll out.

I made a reservation just out of curiosity, to get more information. The reservation is not binding, all you do is pust the button, fill in name, country and email, and you're on the list. Not even received a confirmation email.

I was really considering also but I've been hearing that the Powerwall can only backup a few circuits not all the circuits of a home. It makes sense though that it wouldn't be able to handle the amperage for everything. But now we would have to choose which outlet remains powered and which ones off.

I'm going to wait until there is a fully integrated installation option from Solar City... in Austin TX where Solar City is banned at the moment. (the local power company has a city-granted monopoly, that's another story)

Then I will get solar panels + a battery for the house.

Email != sale. There's not even a cash reservation. I signed up. Then canceled when solarcity called me and wanted to sell to me at double the cost $7k/unit. Screw that. I'll get it from one of the other confirmed vendors who already said they'll sell it at its actual retail price of $3000.

I'm going to wait until there is a fully integrated installation option from Solar City... in Austin TX where Solar City is banned at the moment. (the local power company has a city-granted monopoly, that's another story)

Then I will get solar panels + a battery for the house.
Sounds like you are in the same situation as the Hawaiian Islands. This is going to be a big wake up call to these utility monopolies when they see their revenue drop as more people add solar and an integrated battery system and only use minimal power from the grid.

Email != sale. There's not even a cash reservation. I signed up. Then canceled when solarcity called me and wanted to sell to me at double the cost $7k/unit. Screw that. I'll get it from one of the other confirmed vendors who already said they'll sell it at its actual retail price of $3000.

I was contacted by SolarCity as well after I signed up at Tesla Energy. I was a past SolarCity customer at my previous house. Yes, they only offer the 10 kWh unit at around $7k and that's only the backup battery. I really don't care for backup but am interested in the 7 kWh daily cycling one to draw from during the peak ToU hours in the evenings. They are not going to offer that anytime soon but, I've opted to let them give a PV system estimate anyway.

I tried to place an order the night of the announcement but there was no website feedback initially and eventually a response page saying they would let me know when there was a rollout in my area. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email on May 29 confirming my reservation with this text: "Powerwall deliveries will begin this August in select cities and nationwide by October. When your Powerwall is available, a certified installer will contact you to schedule an installation appointment. "

I got an email this weekend simply thanking me for "reserving" and to expect more info later.

Thank You
Your Powerwall Reservation is Confirmed
Compact, simple to install and maintenance free, the Tesla home battery offers independence from fossil fuels and the security of an emergency backup.

Arriving this Summer
Powerwall deliveries will begin this August in select cities and nationwide by October. When your Powerwall is available, a certified installer will contact you to schedule an installation appointment.

Questions?
Visit our website for answers to common questions.

Just finished my SolarCity consultation for a smallish, 3.5 kW PV system. As mentioned above, the rep indicated that the daily cycling Powerwall battery will not be available through SolarCity till sometime next year; it's not very clear if it could be easily integrated then into an existing PV installation.

Yup, got the same confirmation email from Tesla Energy. It's going to be yet another long wait for a Tesla product ;)

Just finished my SolarCity consultation for a smallish, 3.5 kW PV system. As mentioned above, the rep indicated that the daily cycling Powerwall battery will not be available through SolarCity till sometime next year; it's not very clear if it could be easily integrated then into an existing PV installation.

Yup, got the same confirmation email from Tesla Energy. It's going to be yet another long wait for a Tesla product ;)

I haven't received a confirmation email. I submitted the form the day of the product announcement. Should I have received a note?

I have my eye on something very similar: 3 kW PV /10 kWhr PW mostly as a grid backup system. I also received the same confirmation email but no call from SC; I don't even think they operate in my area. Any more details from your SC contact on system design/performance/cost?

Will be sure to share once I get the formal PDF.

I haven't received a confirmation email. I submitted the form the day of the product announcement. Should I have received a note?

Probably. But, it's all a tossup with Tesla as we know all too well :)