Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NextGen Roadster in 2018?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
The wikipedia page for the Roadster says:

Tesla stopped taking orders for the Roadster in the U.S. market in August 2011.[SUP][27][/SUP][SUP][28][/SUP] The next generation is expected to be introduced by 2018 and will not be based on the Lotus gliders but instead on a shortened version of the architecture developed for the Tesla Model S
Is this still in Tesla's long term plans? Is there to be a new generation of the Roadster?

If you own a Roadster how can you say that you have never met anyone who works at Tesla? Have you never been to an SC? Let us know what you have heard.

Actually, I bought my Roadster used. I had the pre-purchase inspection done by Tesla (but arranged through the used car dealership where I bought the car - wasn't local). And the only service I've had done it it...they picked it up from my house, and dropped it off in my driveway (I wasn't home) when they were done.

...and my original post was meant to be a joke. Sorry.

Hahaha...very good! :wink::biggrin:

I think there is an old quote around somewhere ...Elon saying a new Roadster before 2020...the quote would be at least 2-4 years old fwiw...

Hope you're right about 2018 though...:wink:

As someone who's never met anyone who's met anyone who works at Tesla, I can confirm that this is 100% true, and is on schedule for a release in the first week of April, 2018.

You can quote me!

I agree - I am not starting any rumours I am just wondering if anyone else had heard about this. I didn't make it up - go to Wikipedia and read the article on the Tesla Roadster.

I personally haven't heard anything other than Model X later this year and then the Model 3 news, especially with EM saying that the Model 3 will be introduced in 10 months and start shipping in H2 of 2017. By 2018 the Model S will be due for a refresh but it would be nice to see an updated Sports car from Tesla.

NextGen Raodster in 2018?

That information in Wikipedia about when the next generation Tesla Roadster will be launched is pure speculation and should be removed. Note the citations supporting it are weak.

I think even the Model 3 platform is likely too big for the next Roadster. It needs to be a smaller chassis. Not just 20% smaller than the S, more like 30% smaller.

I think even the Model 3 platform is likely too big for the next Roadster. It needs to be a smaller chassis. Not just 20% smaller than the S, more like 30% smaller.
Agreed. I'm sure Tesla would love to remake the roadster using modern batteries, motors, tech etc.. I'm also sure it's probably below even a Model S redesign in priority for the company right now. I'd say based on hard facts and science that we will see a new Roadster released for pre-order on May 1st, 2023.

I dunno - have you seen the Jaguar F? It's pretty big and can still be considered "Roadster-esque". The next-gen roadster doesent necessarily need to be the same form factor.
Jaguar-F-Type-coupe-official-image-1.jpg