Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 month storage question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to leave my winter home for about 4 months. I'm not sure what I should do about charging my P85D. Leave it plugged in at a percentage charge? Don't leave it plugged in? Change a setting ?

Please advise

If leaving it plugged in is an option, then by all means leave it plugged in and set the charge level to the lowest (50%) setting. A shame to leave it...why not take it home with you...or drive it home?

Like efusco said. Plugged in, at 50% target. It will charge back any lost range everyday or so. As the owner manual says, you don't want to leave it unplugged for so long as it could get bellow 0% and damage the battery.

User manual: https://my.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/model_s_owners_manual_touchscreen_6.2_das_na_r20150326_en_us.pdf

Relevant info:

Leave plugged 1.png
Leave plugged 2.png
Leave plugged 3.png

I would leave it plugged in with the charge threshold set at 50% as others have said.

In addition, make sure that you can access the car from a phone app, Visible Tesla, etc to verify that charging is still happening. With the App and notifications on, you will see that the Vampire is being fed every few days which is a good reassurance that all is well. If for some reason the charging stops, then the Vampire will drain the battery. If you can leave a key and access with someone there, they can restart charging (unplug and replug is usually all that is needed) or take other measures to get charging started again.

To minimize the Vampire drain, in Settings, under "Display", turn "energy savings" on, and uncheck "always connected."

Last edited:
Very helpful thread. I just picked up my S last week and was not sure about what would happen if I have the car for a couple of days where I can not charge. If I'm understanding the above correctly it is ok to stay unplugged for even several days provided the battery has lots of charge to start. Y'all please correct me on my understanding if Ive got that wrong.

Very helpful thread. I just picked up my S last week and was not sure about what would happen if I have the car for a couple of days where I can not charge. If I'm understanding the above correctly it is ok to stay unplugged for even several days provided the battery has lots of charge to start. Y'all please correct me on my understanding if Ive got that wrong.

Sure, a few days, even a week or so is OK. In a pinch you could likely go several weeks if the car is set up properly to minimize vampire drain. But, ideally, you want to plug in daily.

I would leave it plugged in with the charge threshold set at 50% as others have said.

In addition, make sure that you can access the car from a phone app, Visible Tesla, etc to verify that charging is still happening. With the App and notifications on, you will see that the Vampire is being fed every few days which is a good reassurance that all is well. If for some reason the charging stops, then the Vampire will drain the battery. If you can leave a key and access with someone there, they can restart charging (unplug and replug is usually all that is needed) or take other measures to get charging started again.

To minimize the Vampire drain, in Settings, under "Display", turn "energy savings" on, and uncheck "always connected."

be careful about the always connected part... If you do that, it will be hard to check on the car from the app

Not to worry, just leave me the keys and I will GLADLY charge it for you every single night. I will also drive it during the day just to make sure the charging station works as expected. I won't even charge you for the service :)
I'll second the offer and keep it between 40-60% SOC for the best battery life.:cool:[video]https://youtu.be/ugGyoGtPMbA[/video]

I have an unused 14-50 in my garage if you want to keep your car there charged. Ill make sure it stays clean and pretty. I am just on the other side of the mountain.