Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Busted] Model X configuring in July 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, they told us this wouldn't happen until they were ready to build production cars or possibly delivering the first cars, so it sounds like that will happen in July, too. :)

I'd suggest an initial dribble in September, followed by a greater ramp beginning in October that'll hit a brick wall, pushing full ramp into 2016Q1. (I think their 55k target is way too optimistic. I hope I'm wrong.)

I'd suggest an initial dribble in September, followed by a greater ramp beginning in October that'll hit a brick wall, pushing full ramp into 2016Q1. (I think their 55k target is way too optimistic. I hope I'm wrong.)
Optimistic or not, they are standing by their projection and better hit it or else the market won't respond well. They also seem to have retreated off their stance that Model S alone will be able to cover the entire 55,000 number and are now counting on Model X to make up the remainder over what will be only a slight increase in second half Model S production. They are going to need at least 5,000 Model X deliveries to do that.

Optimistic or not, they are standing by their projection and better hit it or else the market won't respond well. They also seem to have retreated off their stance that Model S alone will be able to cover the entire 55,000 number and are now counting on Model X to make up the remainder over what will be only a slight increase in second half Model S production. They are going to need at least 5,000 Model X deliveries to do that.

If memory serves, I believe EM in last night's conference call said that they would attempt to half the time between MX first deliveries and high volume deliveries as compared to the MS roll out. He said the MS volume deliveries took 6 months from initial deliveries, so they would aim to do volume deliveries closer to 3 or 4 months from initial deliveries. With first deliveries in late q3 (sept) that puts volume deliveries in December 2015 to January 2016. But with the Model X, I have learned to tone down any expectations based on EM predictions for sanity sake.

http://insideevs.com/tesla-reports-q1-2015-earnings/

Despite only weeks away from the most recent promise date for the Model X, Tesla disclosed it really isn’t all that close yet by pushing the much-delayed electric SUV’s release to the back end of estimates.

“In 2015, we have already expanded our product portfolio with exciting new products and features while continuing to execute on our long-term plans. We ramped the manufacturing and availability of All-Wheel Drive Model S 85D, introduced 70D, and are building release candidate prototypes of Model X.”

So if you have an early reservation deposit on an X, it is started to looking more like a Christmas present for yourself, over a summer splurge.
More specifically Tesla states this when it comes to Model X deliveries:

“We are now building and testing release candidate Model X prototypes with increasing design maturity, and are pleased with the progress of this program. These developments, along with our maturing production capabilities, boost our confidence in the launch and production ramp of Model X, which is on track for start of deliveries in late Q3.”

Previous quarter verbiage for the SUV that was originally scheduled for “late 2013″ was that it would simply arrive in Q3. Today, “late Q3″ sounds more like a target of September at best – making the vehicle a clean 2 years late.

From the earnings call after the report:
Elon Musk says that depending on how Model X ramp goes, the volume essentially doubles in Q4. Expects to see significant ramp in fourth quarter for the X, as much as 2x other quarters. Demand no issue – “huge” advance orders for the Model X.

Musk:
development of the Model X took longer than expected. Notes that he drove latest prototype today, and is “by far the best SUV.” Model X configurator online probably in July.

He also mentioned that configurations would be very similar to the S, and not to expect anything too out of line with what's already available. He did confirm there would be a "P" edition of the X as well. Not sure if this means I should just buckle down and place a S order now, or wait and see if the CPO market floods with D models when the X finally comes out.

Model X configuring in July 2015

Some of us will likely be making final decisions prior to driving. I can live with that.

You and me both Bonnie. :)

Usually I'd say this is imprudent, but Elon himself said yesterday that he drove a Model X Release Candidate that morning and he thought it was pretty awesome, so I have pretty high confidence that it will deliver 100% and then some.

Plenty of people bought a Roadster without knowing if there would still be a Tesla or ever be a Roadster, much less test driving one in advance. Many Model S owners configured and confirmed purchase prior to test drive events. Those of us now taking delivery on an X have the option to test drive a car that uses the same drivetrain.

Really an easy decision compared to decisions of the past.