Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey: Headlight fogging

Icon5 Survey: Headlight fogging

Just curious but only my left (driver-side) head light fogs. I'm wondering if this problem is related to where "things" are located up front and how they may affect water drainage. Do you have one-sided fogging, and if so, which side?
    Model S #5253 - Black 85kWh

both my headlights fog. Doesn't bother me, but I will have it fixed with my first annual service.

Both of my headlights fog. It goes away when they're in use, so it's not a concern to me.

Fogging has been a problem from car one. There is no sure fix offered by Tesla.
    The world loves to be deceived.

Blog Entries
    Mine were just fixed (time will tell) by venting them and heating them gently with a heat gun. The tech said it was the worst he'd seen in a newer Roadster. The venting trick should take care of it. I'll check in later either way.
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Now that it's cooling off and getting dark earlier, when I leave work I run my headlights the 25 miles home. When I get home there is some fogging in both lights in the bottom 2 inches or so. Over a couple hours of sitting in the garage the fogging goes away. I'm planning to install HID bulbs this wkend so we'll see if that makes a difference one way or the other.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Blog Entries
    Interesting. And you have a new enough Roadster that those should be heated...
    Installing the HIDs while it's dry out and equalizing the humidity of the headlight compartment with the outside (and making sure all condensation is gone) should help. The tech cut half of one of the two covers off to vent mine (the assumption is that it's TOO sealed).
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Blog Entries
    Neither of my lights fog up. They used to in the first few months but they seem to have dried up... Hmm, cinergi... it did seem to co-incide with my hid upgrade.

WARNING: Danger of Electric Shock! Vehicle may accelerate quicker than anticipated.

Blog Entries
    Upon delivery my left headlight fogged up frequently. Humid day, light drizzle, washing the car... all of those would fog the headlamp. A visit from the service tech sorted it out.

Only afterwards did I realize that my right headlight also fogs once in a while; it's just a lot less susceptible. I should have had him fix that one too.

Yeah, at all other times it's perfectly clear. So that's making me think that the heating with the bulb may actually be causing the fogging and that perhaps the HIds will actually help since they generate less heat? I haven't actually thought any of this through WRT hot/cold, condensation, etc. Weather looks nice and dry for this wkend so hopefully that will work in my favor.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Thread Information