Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from S85 to 85D - now I need to sell my old car - any advice on how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am very excited as I just ordered by 85D after a test drive yesterday. While I loved Insane mode on the P85D, I am perfectly happy with the very quick speed of the 85D and it is noticeably faster than my, already fast enough, 2.5 year old S85.

Now, I need to sell my beloved old car. I was wondering if people on here have any advice around the best way to sell it. I have got a trade in quote from Tesla and will do that as a back up however, I think I can get $5k more at least, based on other prices I have seen similar cars sold for recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am very excited as I just ordered by 85D after a test drive yesterday.
By "ordered", I get the impression you mean you used the website to configure a vehicle (vs. getting an demo/loaner inventory vehicle or CPO). Assuming you're getting your car on or after July 1 (when the "no sales tax on EVs for WA state" expires)...

My understanding is that for trade-ins you pay tax on the delta (new - old) rather than the full price of the new vehicle. If that understanding is correct, then Tesla's offer might have that additional benefit vs. a 3rd party sale.

I think the key aspect of selling your Model S is pricing it correctly. Just since Hank's CPO tracker went live just about a week ago about 100 Model S vehicles have already been sold so the market is there.

If you share what trade in offer you got from Tesla forum members can advise you on whether it is best to take that or what you might be able to get in the used car market if you sell on your own. Unfortunately the CPO program has likely introduced a downward trend for private party vehicle sales. Already there are two S85s for sale just on this forum's "For Sale" section for around the late 50s.

I ordered the car on Wednesday

By "ordered", I get the impression you mean you used the website to configure a vehicle (vs. getting an demo/loaner inventory vehicle or CPO). Assuming you're getting your car on or after July 1 (when the "no sales tax on EVs for WA state" expires)...

My understanding is that for trade-ins you pay tax on the delta (new - old) rather than the full price of the new vehicle. If that understanding is correct, then Tesla's offer might have that additional benefit vs. a 3rd party sale.

Part of my reasoning was to get in under the wire before the sales tax holiday ends in WA on July 1st (saving over $9k). Based on what you have said, selling privately is the way to go.

I was offered $49k by Tesla - s85, leather, tech, air suspension, great condition - 35k miles but I got a brand new D battery pack at 21k. Looking online, I think I could get closer to $57-59k privately. Like most people, I love the car but the all wheel drive and safety features of the D are too good to pass up.

Dolphin grey - it also has a pano roof

Hmm... You might sell it right here and now. :) Mind posting the rest of the relevant details? (paint color, interior options, etc.)

My other car doesn't come for another 6 weeks so I was going to start getting serious about selling in towards the end of May. We can take this offline if you are seriously interested. I will probably be looking for something close to $56-57k. [email protected]

Part of my reasoning was to get in under the wire before the sales tax holiday ends in WA on July 1st (saving over $9k). Based on what you have said, selling privately is the way to go.

I was offered $49k by Tesla - s85, leather, tech, air suspension, great condition - 35k miles but I got a brand new D battery pack at 21k. Looking online, I think I could get closer to $57-59k privately. Like most people, I love the car but the all wheel drive and safety features of the D are too good to pass up.

I just went through this exact same issue. My car was like yours except half the mileage but no tech package, mine was in great condition. They really are counting mileage as affecting the value a lot. They offered me 50k on the trade-in, and I saw afterward they were selling mine for 55k. That difference between trade-in price and sale price made me feel like the trade in was worth my time. I tried several seattle area luxury used car dealers and they all said that they couldn't offer me more than low 50s - their only idea was try to sell it on consignment for high 50s, but I had to pay a $750 or something marketing and cleanup fee.

This is really useful info - thanks!

I just went through this exact same issue. My car was like yours except half the mileage but no tech package, mine was in great condition. They really are counting mileage as affecting the value a lot. They offered me 50k on the trade-in, and I saw afterward they were selling mine for 55k. That difference between trade-in price and sale price made me feel like the trade in was worth my time. I tried several seattle area luxury used car dealers and they all said that they couldn't offer me more than low 50s - their only idea was try to sell it on consignment for high 50s, but I had to pay a $750 or something marketing and cleanup fee.

My plan is to advertise closer to the time I get my car. If no takers around $56-58k then I will take the $49k on offer from Tesla.

Last edited: