Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV Sticker Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Volt, I placed all 4 stickers according to the instructions...

However, after driving in the HOV lane for 100 miles / day during the work week the past 3 years, I've noticed that many cars have less than 4 stickers--some only have the one small one on the rear bumper!

Just curious what people have done on their Teslas and, if it's fewer than the prescribed 4 stickers, if you've ever gotten hassled or pulled over.

Thanks.

I would venture to say that the vast majority of California Tesla owners place the small sticker low on the right side rear of the car. Never heard of anyone getting hassled over it. Drove my previous Tesla like that for almost 2 years.

Last edited:
I would venture to say that the vast majority of California Tesla owners place the small sticker low on the ride side rear of the car. Never heard of anyone getting hassled over it. Drove my previous Tesla like that for almost 2 years.

Good to know! In that case, I'll start with the small rear sticker... ;)

As you can tell, going a bit stir crazy during the wait for delivery!

I would venture to say that the vast majority of California Tesla owners place the small sticker low on the right side rear of the car. Never heard of anyone getting hassled over it. Drove my previous Tesla like that for almost 2 years.

I've seen that once or twice, but I would say the vast majority of Tesla's I've seen have all three stickers, at least in Northern California.

I just have the small sticker on the lower bumper like the pic below (pic from AEDennis in this thread). Never been hassled and will NEVER put the giant stickers on the quarter panels.

14046181968_538a8acb37_z.jpg

I just have the small sticker on the lower bumper like the pic below (pic from AEDennis in this thread). Never been hassled and will NEVER put the giant stickers on the quarter panels.

View attachment 80390

Good to hear. I'm in SoCal too and wanted to see if I could get away with just the 1 small sticker. I figure law enforcement all know that the Model S is an all electric vehicle at this point.

Good to hear. I'm in SoCal too and wanted to see if I could get away with just the 1 small sticker. I figure law enforcement all know that the Model S is an all electric vehicle at this point.
They do, but they will ticket you for having no stickers so it is wise to put on at least the 1 small sticker as you say. Haven't heard of anyone with at least 1 sticker getting ticketed for less than 3 stickers.

Being happily retired I don't have the daily slog on a freeway. So I keep the two small decals in the glovebox and tape then on the small rear seat windows when I know I'll need them. No problem so far. But I've yet to see the CHP pull over anyone for lane violation.

Good feedback from @GoBlue
I also have placed the small sticker on the right rear lower panel. That's it. (California) Don't need to put the big stickers on the sides until I am told I need them. On a previous thread, the state statute says we only need to display one sticker and have the HOV registration in the glove compartment.

Didn't want to put a decal on my paint so I stuck the decal on a piece of Xpel wrap and onto a thin piece of plastic. The plastic slides into a small pouch attached to the back of the license plate.
I slide it in and out as needed, since I don't use the carpool lanes all the time.
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3516.JPG

Last edited:

i go commando and have been driving SD, OC mainly... stickers safely tucked away in glove compartment