Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Pad Abort Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far much for landing 2200m offshore. Forget the recovery ship - they'll just need a jetski and tow rope to get back to the beach.

It's probably farther out than it looks - telephoto lenses tend to compress the distance visually. If you go back to the video from the Dragon itself on the way down, it looked to be a good distance offshore.

It's probably farther out than it looks - telephoto lenses tend to compress the distance visually. If you go back to the video from the Dragon itself on the way down, it looked to be a good distance offshore.

Still it only like 200-300m offshore. You can tell something is astray when their voices become much quieter when calling the distance values.

Very cool nonetheless - I especially liked the the silky smooth separation. Was that a little air-brake that popped out?

That capsule got out of there quick! I'm so used to the ponderously slow launch of a large rocket. This took off like a bat out of hell. I will be curious to find out how many G's were pulled.

After the burn was completed, one guy says that it was "lightly below nominal." Which is not nominal. So something went wrong with the trajectory possibly, since the burn certainly seemed the right length of time.

"Hang-tight everyone" is that the point when they were crapping themselves?
I was also confused by that statement. There is no one in the capsule. Who exactly needs to "hang tight"? I guess he was referring to the SpaceX personnel involved in the test.

It was pretty cool to watch, but it seemed like the capsule landed closer to shore than planned based on the distance it was outside the surf line. Couldn't have been over 200 m.

That capsule got out of there quick! I'm so used to the ponderously slow launch of a large rocket. This took off like a bat out of hell. I will be curious to find out how many G's were pulled.

After the burn was completed, one guy says that it was "lightly below nominal." Which is not nominal. So something went wrong with the trajectory possibly, since the burn certainly seemed the right length of time.

I think they said they expected 4.5 g. It's not meant to be comfortable; it's meant to save your life.

Also:

Test ended 8 seconds too early according to NSF Chris.

I assume that means the thrust ended 8 seconds earlier than expected.

There is some slow motion on the NSF website that seems to show one of the Super Draco engines shut down a bit early. A puff of smoke came out of it. The capsule then did a slight tip, and the remaining engines then shut down shortly after that. Could have been an "abort of the abort". Still, loved the video, and things more or less worked. Often times you learn more when tests go wrong than when they go right.

See post #1550 for the 16 second super slow motion:
SpaceX Dragon 2 Pad Abort Test - May 6 2015 - DISCUSSION THREAD

RT

Still it only like 200-300m offshore. You can tell something is astray when their voices become much quieter when calling the distance values.

Very cool nonetheless - I especially liked the the silky smooth separation. Was that a little air-brake that popped out?

A couple people explained what it prolly was over on NSF but I have no idea what they were talking about as usual over there.