Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S alpha to be released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
This might be posted, but I looked and couldn't find it.
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/tesla-model-s-on-track/12228/

Tesla said Tuesday that its electric sedan, dubbed the Model S, is on track for a 2012 launch. In the meantime, Tesla said it would deliver an alpha build of Model S by the end of 2010.

The Model S update came amid Tesla’s third quarter earnings report. The company reported a net loss of $34.9 million, or 38 cents a share, on revenue of $31.2 million, down from $45.5 million a year ago. Tesla said that sales of its Roadster improved from the second quarter, but it’s clear that the company will need Model S to pick up sales slack in the future. Tesla has more than 1,300 Roadster’s on the road.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said the company’s goal is to deliver the first alpha prototype of Model S by the end of the year. He added that the Model S powertrain has been tested on the road for “several weeks now.” In addition, the Model S alpha build is underway with stamping, casting and extrusion of body panels as well as assembly.

The company’s R&D spending in the third quarter jumped to $26.7 million, up from $15.4 million in the second quarter, as it prepped Model S.

Great news! Although a profit would be better, I think losses are expected with a young auto company on the bleeding edge and undergoing such extensive expansion and development. Looking forward to the pace of Model S news picking up over the remaining months until the production S hits the roadways.

BTW, can someone explain exactly what an "alpha" model is, as opposed to the prototypes they're driving now?

Tesla has a tendency to use Silicon Valley style release version names/numbers for their products.
For instance having Roadster 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5...

Alpha is another computer industry term used to mean a test release. Different companies may have different definitions of alpha & beta releases... In some cases it means for internal testing only, in other cases it means to release to selected 3rd parties for evaluation. The usual idea with an alpha is that the product is getting close to production ready... Well past a "concept" or a "demo" release. The red Model S (formerly painted gray) that we have seen driven around over the past year or so is really just a prototype/concept car not production ready nor even very close to the final design. I don't want to speculate too much what alpha might mean, but I would guess it means it is a lot closer to production intent design, and they may be building a bunch of them, not just 1. Given that the Tesla Factory (formerly NUMMI) isn't ready for production yet, I would guess that they might have contracted with a 3rd party manufacturer to make a limited run of evaluation vehicles so they can make sure the design is sound before they actually start assembling all the mass production factory equipment. One question I have about the "alpha" would be is it a fully Tesla designed chassis, or still based off of some other production car chassis like the original concept car?

Tesla has a tendency to use Silicon Valley style release version names/numbers for their products.
For instance having Roadster 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5...

Alpha is another computer industry term used to mean a test release. Different companies may have different definitions of alpha & beta releases... In some cases it means for internal testing only, in other cases it means to release to selected 3rd parties for evaluation. The usual idea with an alpha is that the product is getting close to production ready... Well past a "concept" or a "demo" release. The red Model S (formerly painted gray) that we have seen driven around over the past year or so is really just a prototype/concept car not production ready nor even very close to the final design. I don't want to speculate too much what alpha might mean, but I would guess it means it is a lot closer to production intent design, and they may be building a bunch of them, not just 1. Given that the Tesla Factory (formerly NUMMI) isn't ready for production yet, I would guess that they might have contracted with a 3rd party manufacturer to make a limited run of evaluation vehicles so they can make sure the design is sound before they actually start assembling all the mass production factory equipment. One question I have about the "alpha" would be is it a fully Tesla designed chassis, or still based off of some other production car chassis like the original concept car?

What about EP and VP from the Roadster Program? Or does alpha and beta come before the two?

That's great news! What a suprise that Tesla Motors has been able to pull off the "alpha" build of the Model S without any leaks. I look forward to seeing the first images of the "alpha" S. Way to go Tesla Motors.

P.S. Could that new Model S powertrain be the one in the test Rav 4?...Hmmmmm

Last edited:
What about EP and VP from the Roadster Program? Or does alpha and beta come before the two?

Well, that is curious. EP and VP were (as far as I know) auto industry terms that Tesla used based on their early partnership with Lotus.
Perhaps they are saying "alpha" instead of "EP" now to differentiate themselves further and say we are independent from the legacies of the traditional auto industry?

I dunno. Maybe "alpha" is already used in the auto industry, and I just didn't know that.

Actually doing a bit of Google search, I find that it is part of the "Six Sigma" lingo which spans a lot of industries.
"Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development By Kai Yang, Basem S. EI-Haik, Basem El-Haik"
1.Experimental prototypes...
2.Alpha prototypes. These are used in production functional performance validation. An experimental prototype made in the lab or a concept car model is one such example. Usually an alpha prototype can deliver all the intended functions of a product. The materials and components used in alpha prototypes are similar to what will be used in actual production. However, they are made in a prototype process, not by the mass-production-based manufacturing process.
3.Beta prototypes...
4.Preproduction prototypes...

So, if you view the original concept as an "Experimental Prototype", and the Alpha as a "performance validation prototype", then we may still be looking forward to "beta prototypes" later, and then some pre-production prototypes after that.

By the way, the Nissan Leaf cars being driven around on the test drive tour are pre-production prototypes...

Software prototype terms from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype :
Concept = Idea
Proof of Concept = Possible ways to show that the theory behind the concept is functional. May not even work at all, but just show whether or not it is possible to create.
Alpha = First version of product meant for showreels and testing purposes ONLY. Also here it might not work as a program or unit, but it is to give the visual presentation of a possibly real product.
Work In Progress = Several different stages of development.
Beta = Software that is almost complete, but still needs some fixing, but in general a testing product that is to be treated as not done. Feedback on the product is often gathered from a random selection of people (or people who specifically signed up as beta testers).
Release candidate = Release candidates are often used by Microsoft as a stage in the development of a new operating system (for example, Windows Longhorn (Vista) and Windows Blackcomb (Seven)) to show the masses that the product is within the final stages of development.
Final Product = Product that has been tested both within closed test groups and open test groups. May still contain a few small issues, but in general it is a complete working product that will work as it is made for the majority of the users. Measures like "patches" and "bug fixes" are created to fix software products, and "repair", "swaps" and/or "recall and destruction" of hardware is set in motion to save the reputation of the companies.
Loosely trying to relate these terms to what Tesla has made, I would stretch to say:
The white foam model S we saw first at Space-X and now in the Autodesk museum could be called a "Concept".
The drivable model S we have seen in gray then red could be called a "Proof of concept".
Tesla plans to have an Alpha version soon.
We might see some "Work in Progress" versions next year which could be Alpha versions with retrofit improvements.
Then we might see some Beta versions which I might equate to "Evaluation Prototypes"
Then the "Release Candidate" which I might equate to "Validation Prototypes".
Then we have Final Product which goes into production.

Yet another way to look at it, is I bet the Alpha versions may only get driven by VIPs at press events and some very controlled testing.
The eventual Beta versions or "Evaluation Prototypes" probably get a lot of miles put on them by test engineers working out reliability and drive-train issues.
The "Release Candidate" or "Validation Prototypes" might be the first that actually get used for customer test drives, and are used to provide feedback through marketing for fit-and-finish and interior tweaks.

But I am just making a lot of speculation here, and trying to read a bunch into some vague terminology. "Alpha" could really mean all sorts of things. And I really don't know how many more iterations will happen between "Alpha" and "FCS" (First Customer Shipment).

Last edited:
Great news! Although a profit would be better, I think losses are expected with a young auto company on the bleeding edge and undergoing such extensive expansion and development.

This is pure speculation on my part but knowing that a Alpha Model S is coming might have been part of the reason for the nearly-20-percent stock jump today.

As cool as a profitable quarter would be the lack of one is not hindering their stock at all for now. Wall street seems to "get" that Tesla is heading into bigger, better things with Model S and the new RAV4 EV. Tesla is also planning, according to this thread and the "Model X" video, to show an alpha Model S and RAV4 EV by the end of the year.

The cool thing, to me, is that news of an Alpha Model S (and RAV4 EV) gives Tesla more ammunition against the "Vaporware" crowd.

Last edited:
The cool thing, to me, is that news of an Alpha Model S (and RAV4 EV) gives Tesla more ammunition against the "Vaporware" crowd.

I would say this is the real reason for the rush to put out an "Alpha" Model S at this time.

To hear some tell it, you would think Tesla invented the electric car. Yet here they are being beat to market by the majors (and at least one start up) in their efforts to release a fully electric sedan, by nearly two full years in some cases.

To me this seems like an attempt by Tesla to gain back a bit of its thunder that everyone else is stealing right now. The vast majority of the public isn't even aware of Telsa's existence; only the harcore industry followers know of the plans for the Model S.

Roadster production is set to end sometime in 2011, and Model S production now isn't scheduled until late 2012. Regardless of how the Model S might stack up against whatever else is on the market by then, it might be too late to matter.

I would say this is the real reason for the rush to put out an "Alpha" Model S at this time.

To hear some tell it, you would think Tesla invented the electric car. Yet here they are being beat to market by the majors (and at least one start up) in their efforts to release a fully electric sedan, by nearly two full years in some cases.

To me this seems like an attempt by Tesla to gain back a bit of its thunder that everyone else is stealing right now. The vast majority of the public isn't even aware of Telsa's existence; only the harcore industry followers know of the plans for the Model S.

Roadster production is set to end sometime in 2011, and Model S production now isn't scheduled until late 2012. Regardless of how the Model S might stack up against whatever else is on the market by then, it might be too late to matter.

You make some good points but I think there still won't be anything like the Model S when it launches in 2012. All of the upcoming or planned EVs in 2011 or 2012 are smaller, limited range cars like the Nissan Leaf, Ford Focus and others. As far as I know, BMW or Audi isn't launching an EV with a 160-300 mile range before or around the Model S launch.

I think Tesla can still survive as a smaller automaker. Much in the sense Apple did with it's brand recognition, loyal following, and great industrial design. Not an exact comparison of course but the could survive as a premium automaker.

Matt, TM was not beaten to the market for a high performance EV...they are the high performance EV market to date.

Yes, the majors have beaten TM to the entry level EV market, but remember TM's marketing strategy is top (quality & performance) down, not bottom (entry level) up with respect to their product development.
If TM had built an entry level EV rather than the Roadster, they would have been first...regardless, it is a moot point as TM is a niche marketer at this point.

You speak of TM's defense of "thunder stealing" on the EV stage as if it's a bad thing...on the contrary, it is smart PR & marketing by TM.

Last edited:

Huh? If we exclude the Leaf and the MiEV for a moment, what other major carmaker will beat Tesla to the market by 2012? The Focus EV supposedly comes in 2012, the Renault cars will be more generally available in 2012 and still not in the US. The Karma, Volt, BMW whatsitsname are all hybrids and not EVs and none of those will be generally available until late 2011 or 2012 anyway.

Also keen in mind the Leaf will f.inst. only be available in Norway in summer 2011, and that's an extremely favourable market for the Leaf. So I can't see what EVs you are talking about that will beat the Model S? If you are talking Bluestar the you've got a point when that one comes in 2014 or 2015 the market will be crowded.

Cobos

Points taken, but for the record the Focus EV is due in late 2011 as a 2012 model; the Model S is due in late 2012, I assume as a 2013?

And as far as the general populace is concerned, the Volt and Karma are electric cars. I still talk to people in the business who refer to the Prius as "one of them electric cars".

But the Ford Focus is still entry level Matt.

I would agree with you that even though the Volt & the Karma are not true EV's the overwhelming majority of the general public percieves them as such...because of this, the Karma will be legitmate competition for the Model S...I'm not sure I would put the volt in the Model S / Karma league though...

Points taken, but for the record the Focus EV is due in late 2011 as a 2012 model; the Model S is due in late 2012, I assume as a 2013?

And as far as the general populace is concerned, the Volt and Karma are electric cars. I still talk to people in the business who refer to the Prius as "one of them electric cars".