Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs. 85 ( 2014 model ) mid speed and high speed acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 model S 85, i just test drove the P85D, thinking about upgrading my car due to the significant acceleration claims.
From 0-60, the P85D is SIGNIFICANTLY faster, it is day and night compare to my 85. But most of my driving is from 50-70mph or 70-90mph when the traffic is light, i feel the P85D is only slightly quicker at that speed. Is my senses off ? Please chime in, is there any data out there at show the time both the vehicle accelerates at the rolling 50-70 or 70-90 times between the P85D and the standard 85 model ? After deprecition, there is a $50k difference between the 2 cars.

I'm not sure we have repeatable/comparable 30-50 and 50-70 numbers for the AWD variants yet. Before the D launch, the P85 was about 10% faster 50-70 than the regular 85 even though it was something 30% faster at launch. All models so far converge as speed increases due to gearing.

These were the approximate times prior to the D launch: 0-30 times for various Model S configurations ? | Forums | Tesla Motors

In conclusion, the P85D will absolutely pull 70-90 faster than the regular 85. From that number you quote, $50k faster? That's up to you. Ask Tesla to drive them back-to-back and decide.

if you're more concerned about 50-70 and 70-90 acceleration you'll probably get waaaaaayyyyy better value for your dollar with a preowned P85 than a P85D. the acceleration post-60mph is basically the same.

I understand why you say this but we don't have raw data yet do we?

And from that video posted above which is a 35mph rolling start the gap he pulls doesn't stabilise he keeps pulling away when the speed must be well into the 80mph range. In fact I think he keeps pulling away until over 100mph.

I'm just thinking that people who experience the insane p85d launches and feel all that torque don't get the same feeling at higher speeds. It's the torque that we interpret as being fast. When it's not as brutal at higher speeds I think people are assuming it's not as fast anymore and even the same as a p85.

I think the video shows an ever increasing gap, but I think from the very nature of its gearing, the faster you go the smaller the difference in acceleration between models, I just think it happens much later than 50mph.

But this will be put to bed when we get some raw data. I don't know either. Pure guess work

I understand why you say this but we don't have raw data yet do we?

There's some. See this post: 0-60/30-50/50-70 comparitive times for 70D/85D/P85D

Compare that to the numbers we have for the P85 above you'll find the P85D's advantage:
30-50 is 1.15s to 1.4s (18%)
50-70 is 1.65s to 1.9s (14%)
70-90 is 2.5s to 2.7s (7%)

A normal untrained person is usually able to notice a 10% decrease in acceleration times without difficulty. Less than that and it'll vary. So up to about 70 essentially everyone will recognize the P85D as being faster (and substantially so at lower speeds). After 70, it becomes less and less likely as the vehicles converge.

For reference, the Insane Mode improvement 0-60 from the P85D to the old P85 is 3.05s to 3.9s (22%). That should help give a frame of reference for the 30-50 and 50-70 numbers.

Last edited: