Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to remove dual charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are at least three possibilities:

1) Your car and your buddy's car will "notice" the charger has entered/exited the CAN network and do everything right.

Personally, I doubt this. I only mention it because at least one data point exists to support it. There is a Tesla in the wild that did not come from the factory with a charge port that could close the door... and it was later replaced with one that could... and the center console "noticed" it and offered the buttons to open and close. In other words, everything worked correctly simply because the car saw the new port on the CAN bus, and had already had "over the air" firmware updates.

2) Configuration changes will be needed. Only Tesla can do this.

3) Firmware updates will be needed. Only Tesla can do this.

the costs will surely outweigh the benefits, IMHO. if you have not seen the value so far, don't underestimate what happens with time, new circumstances and an expanding HAL2 network. it only takes being stuck a time or two at a 20kW charging station and only being able to draw 10 kW's for your perspective to suddenly change. with a car full of family and or friends who don't give a hoot that you have a cool car but instead just want to get home several hours earlier, perspective can flip, just like that.

In any event, the charger won't work in a different car unless the Service Centre can be talked into mating the charger with the car. And yours will have to be told it doesn't have one anymore. This is not a DIY project. I'd guess they would charge two hours per car at $175/hour. Not good value for money.

While only indirectly related to the OP's question, this brings up an interesting scenario.

Dual chargers used to be a factory-installed option that was ordered with the vehicle. But not anymore -- now the dual chargers are accessories that you buy separately, and the price includes installation.

Well, I have a leased 85D that I just got, and dual chargers were no longer available as a factory installed option when I got it, so I ordered the 2nd charger as an accessory (still waiting on it to come in and have it installed). I own that 2nd charger, correct? I did pay cash for it, it's not part of the lease. At the end of the lease, doesn't Tesla owe me the removal of the charger from the car before I turn the vehicle in? Will I be able to put it in a newer Model S? Since the price included installation, what will I have to pay for installation in the new Model S? If Tesla can't remove it and it must stay with the car, do I get credit for turning the car in with a 2nd charger?

Many questions here.

While only indirectly related to the OP's question, this brings up an interesting scenario.

Dual chargers used to be a factory-installed option that was ordered with the vehicle. But not anymore -- now the dual chargers are accessories that you buy separately, and the price includes installation.

Well, I have a leased 85D that I just got, and dual chargers were no longer available as a factory installed option when I got it, so I ordered the 2nd charger as an accessory (still waiting on it to come in and have it installed). I own that 2nd charger, correct? I did pay cash for it, it's not part of the lease. At the end of the lease, doesn't Tesla owe me the removal of the charger from the car before I turn the vehicle in? Will I be able to put it in a newer Model S? Since the price included installation, what will I have to pay for installation in the new Model S? If Tesla can't remove it and it must stay with the car, do I get credit for turning the car in with a 2nd charger?

Many questions here.
Interesting questions, but I don't think of any practical importance. If you modify a leased vehicle I believe it's like modifying a leased apartment-- either you return it to its original state or the improvements stay with the apartment. Sure you could take the 2nd charger back, but the cost to you to have it uninstalled would probably be more than it's worth. That cost would not be on Tesla.

Well, I have a leased 85D that I just got, and dual chargers were no longer available as a factory installed option when I got it, so I ordered the 2nd charger as an accessory (still waiting on it to come in and have it installed). I own that 2nd charger, correct? I did pay cash for it, it's not part of the lease.

I have bought or leased vehicles in the past with dealer-installed options (things like trailer hitches, roof racks and such) and they were always factored in to the purchase or lease price. Having to pay separately certainly does introduce a wrinkle. Wonder why Tesla can't just lump in stuff like this into the price so that it can be included in financing (for outright purchase) or into the lease???