Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the conference call Elon said that only approx 3000 Model S' have been reserved. He said their expectation was to have 20k reserved by the time the car was ready to be shipped.

I highly doubt that reservations are going to jump to 20k by the time the car starts shipping but I wonder if there are a large # of buyers who are waiting to reserve their car till the shipping date gets closer? $5k is a lot of money and I think there will be a significant jump in reservations once the shipping/sale date is nailed down.

So have you already reserved your Model S and if not do you plan on doing so?

I havent and depending on my financial situation I might do it sometime next year.

I have put down the money for P270 Europe.

So far I've seen P332 for Europe, but that has been some time ago. I imagine there are a few more now.

More recent I've seen p2667 for the US and P107 for Canada, both reserved last week.

So without the r and s numbers that's already over 3100 reservation.

I think many people are waiting for something more concrete to come from Tesla. All we've seen so far is a prototype body on a Mercedes chassis with a Roadster running gear. Once they start producing complete cars (engineering prototypes or whatever) deposits will start coming in. I've been pushing a friend of mine to put in his deposit ($5000 is chump change for him) but he is in no hurry. He figures putting in his deposit now instead of late 2011 won't change his delivery date all that much.

I agree Paul...my Roadster is hopefully within 5 weeks of delivery...I've spoken to many people who have absolutely no idea what a Tesla is...I'd be willing to bet that if you conducted a street poll in Southern Ontario on electric cars, 99% of the participants couldn't name 4 electric car models / manufacturers.

I think that we are bleeding edge...the early adopters will come out en force once the demo cars start hitting the TM stores, the lights will come on for many folks...seeing is believing...

I reserved mine Nov. 8th. No sequence # yet. I was going to wait to reserve, but after reading that only 7k units were going to be produced in 2012.......

I completely disagree with the comment that you can wait until just before production to reserve one and still get one in 2012.
The Leaf, which isn't even half the car as a Tesla, sold out 20 k units in how long? I realize the price is a bit more for the Model S, but you have to realize how many buyers of 50k+ luxury cars there are. Once Tesla starts to advertise, I bet the first two years will sell out very fast.

I agree qwk...there is simply no way anyone reserving in 2012 will get a Model S in 2012...the target market for the Model S is the Audi / BMW / MB group...plenty of them in North America to actually see a demo Model S (once they're produced) either at a TM store, Auto Show or Green event of some sort.

I'd be willing to bet that even if you reserved by the end of the 2cnd quarter of 2011, you won't get your unit in 2012...reservations will have increased that much...

On a side note, I wonder why the 1k model s order from the country of Iceland is not reflected in the reservations? This news is another reason that I think the orders are going to go through the roof soon.

The Leaf, which isn't even half the car as a Tesla, sold out 20 k units in how long?
The Leaf is nearly half the price of the Model S and is from a well known global munufacturer with multiple dealers per city. Tesla has a total of 14 dealers yet Nissan has about 8 in New-York city. I don't think you can compare the two.

the target market for the Model S is the Audi / BMW / MB group...plenty of them in North America
Agree, but again, how many Audi / BMW / MB dealers are there???

I agree that waiting too late into 2011 might mean not getting a Model S in 2012. BUT, only once Tesla starts to actually show and let people drive a production spec Model S will the reservations start to climb rapidly. One still has plenty of time to put a reservation in and get a 2012 Model S.

Wife and I reserved ours when we picked up our Roadster on 11/2. Literally just received our number - R199. I'm torn about doing it now as we want the S soon (need another 4-door vehicle) but would also like a 300-mile pack. Curious to see as it gets closer how long the delay will be for a 300-mile pack.

The Leaf is nearly half the price of the Model S and is from a well known global munufacturer with multiple dealers per city. Tesla has a total of 14 dealers yet Nissan has about 8 in New-York city. I don't think you can compare the two.

While the leaf is in a totally diferent market segment, I would by far trust a Tesla electric vehicle over a Nissan. Sure Nissan has been around far longer than Tesla, but technology wise Tesla is light years ahead of any EV manufacturer.

Then you add looks into the equation, and it's a no brainer.

Nissan advertised quite a bit, while Tesla has not advertised, yet still managed to get 3000+ deposits that are 50X the amount for a car that is two years away.

Wife and I reserved ours when we picked up our Roadster on 11/2. Literally just received our number - R199. I'm torn about doing it now as we want the S soon (need another 4-door vehicle) but would also like a 300-mile pack. Curious to see as it gets closer how long the delay will be for a 300-mile pack.

Now that the car has been delayed to mid to late 2012, I imagine the 300 mile pack might be there for launch (just a guess of course).

Also keep in mind us European customers are ordering even more blind than the US ones. I don't even have a base price. Of course until I get a fairly accurate option list the total price is still unknown. I'm one of the few price sensitive customers that want an EV first and preferably a Tesla. So if they add too much to the European price I will cancel, but I figured I had the $5000 and since I would get it essentially all back the cost of ordering was low. I've got 2-3 friends that are interested and might order when they know the price and some more details.

At the Oslo Motor show the Tesla representative hinted that Tesla would officially release the Model S in Europe at the Geneva Motor Show 2011, which should give pricing and hopefully option pricing as well. If the pricing in Norway is good they can sell a lot here.

The MiEV has sold over 300 units this month at $41 500 in a country with total yearly car sales of around 100 000. (2010 bestselling car is the VW Golf at 6700 units), so the Model S has a pretty big potential.

Cobos

Last edited:
The Leaf, which isn't even half the car as a Tesla, sold out 20 k units in how long?

The other thing to consider with the Leaf is that it only costs $99 to reserve one. If Nissan was charging $3500, or about the same cost, as a percentage, as Tesla for a Model S reservation, they'd probably have a lot less reservations.

The three things going for Nissan over Tesla (when it comes to Leaf vs Model S) are:

1) Low reservation price

2) Nissan already has a big dealer network, PaulM mentioned that Nissan has 8 dealers in NYC alone. At the moment Tesla has ~15 open stores worldwide.

3) Brand-name recognition, Tesla does get a lot of press due to the Roadster but outside of car-enthusiasts Tesla is still relatively unknown.

The other thing to consider with the Leaf is that it only costs $99 to reserve one. If Nissan was charging $3500, or about the same cost, as a percentage, as Tesla for a Model S reservation, they'd probably have a lot less reservations.

The three things going for Nissan over Tesla (when it comes to Leaf vs Model S) are:

1) Low reservation price

2) Nissan already has a big dealer network, PaulM mentioned that Nissan has 8 dealers in NYC alone. At the moment Tesla has ~15 open stores worldwide.

3) Brand-name recognition, Tesla does get a lot of press due to the Roadster but outside of car-enthusiasts Tesla is still relatively unknown.

I don't think that these points matter much.

Tesla has approximatelly $19 million in deposits for a car that is 2 years away.

Nissan has about $2 million in deposits for a car that is almost here.

There is a higher possibility for a $99 depositor to flake out than a $5k depositor. People who put down 5k probably have the cash to buy the model s. Anybody can put down $99.

I myself have NEVER even thought about buying a brand new car, until Tesla came along. This I think speaks volumes about their products. Tesla is going the way of Apple.

I myself have NEVER even thought about buying a brand new car, until Tesla came along.
I am the same but unfortunately being a lowly civil servant, the Model S is out of my price range. I don't particularly like the look of the Leaf nor do I find the 100 mile range quite up to snuff. I keep my cars for a looong time so its range will most likely be down to 60 miles by the time I'm done with it. I'm still hoping I can one day get a Model S. Maybe I'll buy my friend's since he changes his cars as soon as they are out of warranty. That's why I keep pushing him to put in his deposit. The sooner he gets it, the sooner I'll have the chance at buying it off of him.

Several months ago he went to the Tesla web site to put in his deposit using his credit card but being in Canada, it didn't let him. It sorta turned him off and since there is no dealer in Ottawa, he hasn't bothered following through. He does say he will definitely buy one, he just isn't in a hurry to put his deposit in. When he does, I'll let you all know what number he gets.

In my opinion, it's not about the number of dealers Paul, it's about the number of units that Audi / BMW / MB have on the road in North America...there are tens of thousands of these vehicles on the road here ergo thousands of potential Model S customers.

If the alpha Model S will be complete by the end of 2010, it should be hitting the auto shows for 2011...time is in fact short to get a Model S in 2012.

If you build it, ...:wink::biggrin:

Agree, but again, how many Audi / BMW / MB dealers are there???

I agree that waiting too late into 2011 might mean not getting a Model S in 2012. BUT, only once Tesla starts to actually show and let people drive a production spec Model S will the reservations start to climb rapidly. One still has plenty of time to put a reservation in and get a 2012 Model S.

Yeah, I know...this bugs me when it happens to me too.

However, as there are no substitutes, I went to the bank & secured a draft to snail mail to TM and get on the list...

Several months ago he went to the Tesla web site to put in his deposit using his credit card but being in Canada, it didn't let him. It sorta turned him off and since there is no dealer in Ottawa, he hasn't bothered following through. He does say he will definitely buy one, he just isn't in a hurry to put his deposit in. When he does, I'll let you all know what number he gets.[/QUOTE]

Several months ago he went to the Tesla web site to put in his deposit using his credit card but being in Canada, it didn't let him. It sorta turned him off and since there is no dealer in Ottawa, he hasn't bothered following through. He does say he will definitely buy one, he just isn't in a hurry to put his deposit in. When he does, I'll let you all know what number he gets.

Tell him to call Hans at the Toronto store. I'm sure he'll get that sorted.

If you see a red Roadster roaming around town, that'll be me. :biggrin:

I am waiting until I get my PhD (on optimal Vehicle-to-Grid coordination) to put down my deposit. I have the cash in savings, but the income of a grad student who is married with a baby doesn't give a lot of breathing room financially. Since I graduate in June '11, I figure that I will still be able to get in on the first year or so.