Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing my own P85 with a P85 loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my P85 is at the Rockville SC for it's annual service I've been driving a P85 loaner for the past two days. This has given me a great opportunity to compare my modified car with the loaner. Several things stand out.

First, the sound deadening I did on my car makes it more more quiet on the road. Rear end and tire noise on the loaner is much more noticeable. I also hear the whine from the electric motor as I accelerate in the loaner. In my car I don't hear the motor at all. Bumps also transmit fewer resonant sounds into the car.

Second, the stock sound system compared to the Reus is much more harsh, with less tonal range, presence, and clarity. The bass has no depth or punch. To make the comparison fair I plugged my USB drive into the loaner and listened to some tracks I know well: Brahams 3rd and 4th, Chicago I and II, and a few others. The differences in symphonic music, which has a richer array of tonal subtleties than any other type of music, are striking. For example just the difference in the sound of an oboe or piccolo are like night and day. The Reus system is fabulous for capturing these subtleties. To be fair, I don't know if the loaner has the premium sound system, which might account for some of the difference. But it makes me feel very good about the investment I made in the Reus system.

I'm very much looking forward to getting my car back tomorrow with all of its goodies:)

BTW, I'm taking a bunch of the SC guys to lunch tomorrow when I pick up my car. Just a small way for showing my gratitude for the great service and care they have provided for the past two years.

Does the loaner have the factory sub? It's located in the fender well on the right when you open the hatch. If you don't have it, both left and right are open. If you do have it, the right side well will be blocked off which reduces storage a little.

Links to sound deadening thread(s) you might have started, please?

After 20000 km rear motor drive electronics are starting to become audible (whining), whereas was mute before, all except for a very narrow range of speed ~73 km/h.

I have been driving the 2015 P85 and 85 models and really dislike the front vents' reflections/coil suspensions/ half -ass alcantara wrapped dashboard and leather's quality. :cursing:

Also the ODO's animation is very laggy, even skipping sometimes (green re-gen bar) <<< BIGGEST NO NO.

One reget: autopilot. I love it! Also the speed limit sign and sound alert! :thumb up:love:s

What's your VIN vs. the loaner's VIN? Later P85's also had improved rear suspension. I noticed that difference when I got a P85 loaner recently. It was probably one of the last ones built.

It was older than my car: 4330. But it had only about 14,000 miles on it. The guys told me at lunch that it's been used as a loaner for quite some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Trivia: Of the 12 movements in Brahms 4 Symphonies, in which ones do the trombones play?

Very good question. Brahams typically used three trombones and kind of standardized the trombone trio in symphonies. He used trombones in all 4 symphonies and I'd guess in every movement, but I'd have to listen again to confirm. He wrote for the alto trombone but never actually used it.