Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding Dryer Plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have seen several posts to this question but still haven't quite found the answer I am looking for. I will accept delivery of my Model S in 2 weeks and I currently don't have any charging options at my home. I am currently renting a house that has a detachable car port with no plugs outside. However I do have a an old dryer outlet inside the house about 40ft away. I've confirmed with the plug and adapter that I will need the NEMA 10-30 Adapter.

I've read several people have been able to use an extension cord successfully to charge on a NEMA 10-30 Outlet. Which extension Cord will I need and is it safe? Also would I just plus in my Tesla Charger into the extension cord to charge? What would be the recommended time of charge and amps used for a safe charge?

Now I wouldn't do this every day as I drive be Fremont everyday to work so I can always SC. Just would use this to charge at home on days I don't want to leave 20-45mins earlier for work.

Thank you advance for your help as I am still learning on how to successfully charge a car. It seems more difficult then it should but thats only because my current home is making it that way.

A well-made extension cord isn't a problem, in general, but trailing it out a door or window to get outside would be. I wouldn't want to use one that way unless I was around to supervise it. I wouldn't leave it unattended overnight, for example. In addition, you will probably have to make it yourself since AFAIK, nobody sells such a thing. The 10-30 is obsolete...it can't be installed on a new circuit. That's because it's ungrounded. That's why you can't find an extension cord for one. When we use it for EV charging we end up repurposing the neutral as a ground since we know the car will not use it as a neutral, and 99% of all 10-30 receptacles are the only receptacle on the circuit, so we know that no other appliance on the circuit will use it as a neutral, either. The car will charge at 24a rather then the max of 40a the UMC can charge at. Fast enough to charge the car in most normal circumstances.

The other way to go would be to buy a 14-50 extension cord and use an adapter to 10-30. This has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that a 14-50 cord is readily available as a commercial item, so it will be better made than one you slap together at home. The disadvantages are that it will be much heavier since it must use heavier wire, and you will have to manually dial the current down to 24a in the car. If you forget to do so, you will blow the breaker (if you're lucky), or cause a fire (if you're not).

Now for the unsolicited advice... I wouldn't personally do this. I would instead talk to the landlord and get him to agree to allow me to install a 14-50 outlet in the carport. I would assure him that the job would be done by a professional, following all local permitting requirements, and I would foot the bill for it. If I was planning on moving out in a couple of months and could use it only sporadically, when I could keep tabs on it, I might consider trying the extension cord route, but if you're just trying to save money...it's very much penny-wise and pound-foolish.

A well-made extension cord isn't a problem, in general, but trailing it out a door or window to get outside would be. I wouldn't want to use one that way unless I was around to supervise it. I wouldn't leave it unattended overnight, for example. In addition, you will probably have to make it yourself since AFAIK, nobody sells such a thing. The 10-30 is obsolete...it can't be installed on a new circuit. That's because it's ungrounded. That's why you can't find an extension cord for one. When we use it for EV charging we end up repurposing the neutral as a ground since we know the car will not use it as a neutral, and 99% of all 10-30 receptacles are the only receptacle on the circuit, so we know that no other appliance on the circuit will use it as a neutral, either. The car will charge at 24a rather then the max of 40a the UMC can charge at. Fast enough to charge the car in most normal circumstances.

The other way to go would be to buy a 14-50 extension cord and use an adapter to 10-30. This has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that a 14-50 cord is readily available as a commercial item, so it will be better made than one you slap together at home. The disadvantages are that it will be much heavier since it must use heavier wire, and you will have to manually dial the current down to 24a in the car. If you forget to do so, you will blow the breaker (if you're lucky), or cause a fire (if you're not).

Now for the unsolicited advice... I wouldn't personally do this. I would instead talk to the landlord and get him to agree to allow me to install a 14-50 outlet in the carport. I would assure him that the job would be done by a professional, following all local permitting requirements, and I would foot the bill for it. If I was planning on moving out in a couple of months and could use it only sporadically, when I could keep tabs on it, I might consider trying the extension cord route, but if you're just trying to save money...it's very much penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Thank you for your detailed answer. Its not that I am trying to save money its that I know we will be purchasing a new house early next year and didn't want to pay for the installation on the house we currently don't own. After reading your answer I will more than likely just charge on my way to work but was looking for an alternative at home.

Thank you for your help!

This is the 14-50 extension cord I carry with me for trips: Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive You would need an adapter. No way it would overheat for a 30A circuit (esp at 80% of the 30A...)

As others have said above, the 10-30 is not an ideal connector; I'd use it for a one-off charge at a vacation house, but if you were LIVING there, I'd get a 14-50 in a watertight case installed outside. It is the right thing to do for daily usage. You aren't running a desk lamp, this is a respectable amount of power.

This is the 14-50 extension cord I carry with me for trips: Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive You would need an adapter. No way it would overheat for a 30A circuit (esp at 80% of the 30A...)

As others have said above, the 10-30 is not an ideal connector; I'd use it for a one-off charge at a vacation house, but if you were LIVING there, I'd get a 14-50 in a watertight case installed outside. It is the right thing to do for daily usage. You aren't running a desk lamp, this is a respectable amount of power.
Agreed. I have that exact extension, and while FlasherZ is pretty adamant against its use, I think it might be helpful in a pinch when paired with a wide array of adaptors. However, I'm quite positive that I would not use it for everyday charging at my home. If you're in a rental, and absolutely cannot install any type of outlet near where you park, running a high-gauge 5-15 (plain, normal outlet) extension is about as adventurous as I'd possibly get, and even that carries risks.

I had an existing 10-30 plug moved from my laundry room about 30 feet to the middle of my garage. I have a Tesla 10-30 adapter and use a UMC. It works great, stays cool, and charges at about 16 MPH. 27000 miles. I don't think the adapter is available from Tesla anymore.

I had an existing 10-30 plug moved from my laundry room about 30 feet to the middle of my garage. I have a Tesla 10-30 adapter and use a UMC. It works great, stays cool, and charges at about 16 MPH. 27000 miles. I don't think the adapter is available from Tesla anymore.

The 10-30 adapter is still available on Tesla's web page: Tesla Gear Shop NEMA 10-30

The 14-30 is not; that is unfortunate because the 10-30 cannot go into a new install, but the 14-30 can.

Agreed. I have that exact extension, and while FlasherZ is pretty adamant against its use, I think it might be helpful in a pinch when paired with a wide array of adaptors. However, I'm quite positive that I would not use it for everyday charging at my home. If you're in a rental, and absolutely cannot install any type of outlet near where you park, running a high-gauge 5-15 (plain, normal outlet) extension is about as adventurous as I'd possibly get, and even that carries risks.

For what it's worth, I'm not adamant against the use of a 50A extension cord - I made a 75' one that weighs about 3 tons and has been used... once. I point out that it's against code (required that you follow manufacturer's instructions - art. 110) and that tends to carry liability and/or insurance concerns if you are knowingly doing so. I am adamant against using adapters for anything other than emergency, fully-supervised use.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a public service announcement, that's against code. You are not permitted to install new 10-30 receptacles in new locations; you may only use them in like-for-like replacement since NEC 1996.

I bought this wire:

6 3 SOOW So Cord 25 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay

And these ends:

Camco 55353 50 Amp Female Replacement Receptacle Free Shipping New | eBay

Camco 55255 RV 50 Amp Electrical Cord Male Replacement Plug End w Handle | eBay

And made my own (after buying and not liking the heavy, bulky Amazon one with an extra wire that is not used by Tesla). I removed one pin from the male end of the Camco plug so it fits in both my dryer and stove outlets. Then I dialed down the amps in my car to 30 when using my dryer outlet. I have been using this for a year at my lakehouse until I build a garage and put in a HPWC.

But I am not recommending this anyone. I am just saying what I did, and what works for me. FlasherZ provides advice you should follow. I have no electrical experience at all. I followed this thread and made some changes to suit my needs better:

How to build a lightweight 50A extension cord

Ahem.........are you pulling 100% continuos (or is this some kinda Canadian only spec wire "thing") ?

None of it is to code or proper. But yes, I pull 30 amps continuous from my dryer outlet which has a 40 amp breaker. My range outlet has a 50 amp breaker (it's a regular 14-50 outlet) and I draw 40 amps continuous but I can't use that if we want to cook. If I have lots of time, or if I'm going to bed when it's charging and I'm not watching it, I'll dial it down to 20 amps or lower. I kept an eye on it like a hawk, and checked it for heat, etc. for the first few times I used it.

AGAIN NOT RECOMMENDED. But it works for me:

Post A Picture Of Your Car Charging - Page 37

Last edited:
None of it is to code or proper. But yes, I pull 30 amps continuous from my dryer outlet which has a 40 amp breaker.

Got it. Nice pic. Thanks.

I too, am truly an extension cord junky as this ability to charge ANYwhere (which I pretty much have, never worriying about ext. cords thru windows or doors but solely focusing on safe current carrying capacity of branch circuits and extension cords, constantly monitoring charging equipment/connections for excessive heat) was one of the appealing/EV adoption aspects of ordering an S (PO3351) long before i was aware of any PlugShare type apps or Supercharging network.

Last edited: