Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50,000 Mile Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I now have over 50k miles on my Tesla. My Dog Transport.

Funny thing about this milestone: I had planned on slowing down, stopping at exactly 50k, and taking a picture of the dash display. Today I realized that not only did I hit 50k, but I'm not even sure which day it happened! Sometime between and including Saturday & today is all I know for sure.

Fun..

50K at 1 year and a week, last month. (apologies in advance if this sucky UI turns my pic on it's side)

IMG_6356.JPG

Funny thing about this milestone: I had planned on slowing down, stopping at exactly 50k, and taking a picture of the dash display. Today I realized that not only did I hit 50k, but I'm not even sure which day it happened! Sometime between and including Saturday & today is all I know for sure.

Congrats on the milestone.

What has been your actual maintenance experience on the car to date? I imagine brakes and tires, but anything else?

yeah I just rolled over 66666 miles last week. wanted to take a pic of the devil's number but I rolled right past it too and now at 67k miles lol

Thanks, all!

mgdurand, that is exactly the sort of picture I had in mind! Ah well...

Congrats! Your passengers may be the most well-travelled four-legged Tesla ambassadors.
They've been with me for about 40k miles. I sure miss them when they aren't with me!

What has been your actual maintenance experience on the car to date? I imagine brakes and tires, but anything else?
No brake or tire replacements! I switched over to winter tires for about 3 or 5 thousand miles, but my original all season tires still have (barely) legal tread depth.

I need to gather my records before I can completely answer, but here is the maintenance I remember off the top of my head:
- Cooling pump (1 of 3) failed. I was able to keep operating my car, and drove to the shop a few days later for the repair.
- 12V Battery was dying. I was able to drive to the shop for the replacement.
- Sticking charging port cover
- Sticking sun roof
- Noises fixed by the repair centers: AC, steering rack, drive train, sun roof, right front tire
Two problems not resolved by the repair centers:
- Intermittent failure of my rear camera. I replaced the camera myself. It turned out that the camera's gasket was failing, letting moisture into the electronics.
- Moisture behind the rear hatch appliqué. When I install artsci's lighted appliqué, I plan to add calking.

Congrats on the milestone.

Datapoint: We're now at 55K; the stock Michelins were just barely legal at 38K though tires notoriously wear quickly where I live b/c of the heat. Brakes make a lot of dust considering how little they are used. I've had various things fixed under warranty but mostly just noises - the only distance-related thing was the drive unit. And it's sounding like I'm about ready for my third, though that is covered under the unlimited warranty thankfully.

Besides the drive unit it's been a pretty reliable and maintenance-free car for how much I drive. You know, with most cars I would have had to change the oil 11 times by now, that's like every month! Ugh.

Last edited:

VIN 5785 is in the 50,000 mile club as well- 54,674 miles as of today. About 15,000 miles were on supercharger-powered road trips and the rest was commuting and local driving. We hit 50,000 on a recent road trip somewhere in Wyoming or South Dakota when the weather was nasty so I didn't notice exactly when it happened. I'll pay more attention when we hit 100,000 :)

At 2400 I will be a long time joining you people, but it makes me very happy to see your comments, especially how few problems you seem to have had.

DavidB: I'd say you've gotten a lot more than your $$ worth out of those tires. The rest of the items sound more like manufacturing defects than maintenance items in that none of those items should fail within 50k miles. Did you really need winter tires here in our relatively mild Maryland climate? Did you get any benefit from them?
Several of the problems stemmed from water intrusion--camera, charging port door, hatch appliqué, and possibly the sun roof track. I no longer use car washes.

Last year I was traveling in Ohio in January. Yes, I needed the winter tires--the handling differences in snow is quite dramatic. This year I was in Florida and skipped the snow. :)

I think a gas station near you went out of business when you bought your model s.
that is a lot of miles in a short amount of time!

I've actually tamed it down a lot. I was doing 4500+/month but now I'm doing less than half of that. Maybe 1500/month for the last 6 months or so. So a lot of people are catching up to me now. I'm no longer the king of mileage lol. I'm still the king of speed demons though haha