Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Mode -- How much does it help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross-posting this from the Tesla Model S forum (Range Mode effect on range -- some real world numbers | Forums | Tesla Motors). Full details are available there. Here's the summary.

According to Tesla, range mode saves energy in two ways:
1. Limiting climate control power
2. Optimizing the torque distribution between the two motors

The second part seems to be referring to (more?) torque sleep. I wanted to isolate and measure that effect, so I did a controlled experiment.

I made four separate runs on the same 32-mile loop (16 miles out and back on a relatively flat, gently sloping stretch of highway). I did two runs each on two different nights. Each night, I did one run with range mode on and one with it off. Climate control was always off. Except for entering and exiting the highway, cruise was always on and set to 70 mph.

Here are the averages I got:

Range mode off -- 307 Wh/mi
Range mode on --- 297.5 Wh/mi
Savings: 9.5 Wh/mi (3.1%)

So in a D with a full charge and climate control off, range mode should be about 3% more efficient and get you an additional 8-9 miles of rated range.

That's in addition to whatever savings you get from reduced climate control power. Other posters on the TM forum have anecdotally reported range mode savings of 5.5% up to 16%. If accurate, that indicates climate control may be a bigger factor than torque optimization.

As always, YMMV. Unless you really need the heating/cooling power, I'd use range mode all the time for the 3%+ range increase. What's the downside?

There is Range Mode for AWD and Range Model for the rest. If you have an AWD car, Range Mode does more. From experience with my single motor P85, if you turn on Range Mode the estimated range shown in the instrument cluster increases by about 2-3 miles. I don't know what that figure would be for the AWD cars. Based upon that increase, I assume range mode for non-AWD cars has about a 1% impact on range.

There is Range Mode for AWD and Range Model for the rest. If you have an AWD car, Range Mode does more. From experience with my single motor P85, if you turn on Range Mode the estimated range shown in the instrument cluster increases by about 2-3 miles. I don't know what that figure would be for the AWD cars. Based upon that increase, I assume range mode for non-AWD cars has about a 1% impact on range.
That's likely close except for certain conditions such as short trips in winter. Then I believe you can get a lot more out of range mode.

I use range mode all the time. The only major difference is heating. It limits both heating power and fan speed and will take longer to get to desired temp.
Not an issue if you prewarm though.
Volt aside: An interesting note (to me at least) is that the Volt has a 'Climate' setting called ECO (vs COMFORT) that does what the above underline text says.

356353074046387200ec42e082800612.jpg

Based on a little math, and some not-well-logged experiences in a Nissan Leaf over 3 full years of different weather, I'd predict that heating savings will far exceed air conditioning savings. In other words, whatever % on a Single motor, whatever % on a Dual motor, plus some significant % if heating, or a much more trivial % if cooling.

EV Range Extenders:
Electric Socks.jpg

I will vouch for winter energy savings. For me, in Wisconsin, range mode is the difference between 350w/mile or 500+ w/mile. Especially if the pack heater kicks in, if pack heater kicks in, then i'm looking at 900w/mile for short trips, and about 600w/mile for a entire pack on a long trip.

2 major things many of those living in CA don`t experience about range mode: It nerfs the battery heater. It heats the battery only till you get about 3 kW-regen, in normal mode it uses 6 kWh untill regen is 30 kW. In cold weather this greatly improves range if you for instance charge right before driving and avoid brake pedal. Consumption with range mode can be as low as 50% less in some scenarios on shorter routes. Another thing is battery longevity: The battery thrives in cold weather sligthly over zero degrees. Many warming\cooling-rutines and overall more time at higher batterytemp and more drain from battery when not using range mode is also something you should take into account. In winter I usually heat the car with app in RM off, then turn it on when I start the car, I then typically have 15 kW-regen, which is enough for me to practice one-pedal-driving most of the time. I don`t need to charge as often and battery longevity improves :) When charging the car I always have range mode turned on in winter since it gives me some regen anyway :)

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
2 major things many of those living in CA don`t experience about range mode: It nerfs the battery heater. It heats the battery only till you get about 3 kW-regen, in normal mode it uses 6 kWh untill regen is 30 kW. In cold weather this greatly improves range if you for instance charge right before driving and avoid brake pedal.

This agrees with my experience (and other reports on TMC), and says "Range mode is BAD while charging"

When charging the car I always have range mode turned on in winter since it gives me some regen anyway :)

Is this a typo? I think you mean regen OFF.

I was intrigued by guys posting low average Wh/mi numbers (mine have been about 340, but I deal with a lot of hills to climb) so started experimenting. I found the by turning the AC compressor off, I started getting 290... About a 10% change. Will now try range mode and see what happens.

A/C is something every car is struggeling with, as it's either run via a compressor or via electricity. As such range will decrease the same amount in a gas car as it will in an electric car. Probably 5 to 10%.

The variable speed scroll compressor doesn't always run at max speed like a pulley driven one, so you can't really use "all cars" as a comparison. By controlling the temperature you can really reduce the energy used without being too hot. I'd suggest 2% is a more typical number in Texas. I could see Arizona being as high as 5%.

What I don't understand is why Tesla didn't include the reversing valve and extra plumbing so the A/C system could also run as a heat pump in winter. Depending on climate this can have a massive reduction in heating kWh over the electric resistance heater.

What I don't understand is why Tesla didn't include the reversing valve and extra plumbing so the A/C system could also run as a heat pump in winter. Depending on climate this can have a massive reduction in heating kWh over the electric resistance heater.

Bay Area thinking... For places with significant winters, being able to run the AC as a heat pump could be a big win in all but the most extreme cold.

Bay Area thinking... For places with significant winters, being able to run the AC as a heat pump could be a big win in all but the most extreme cold.

We made this suggestion to Nissan about the LEAF's heater in 2011 in a meeting with many of the lead Engineers on the LEAF present, and they took our advice and added a heat pump to the 2013 and up LEAF as an option. Maybe Tesla will see this and consider it also? =)