Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventing audio auto-play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've hesitated to post this because I feel I must be missing something obvious. But after asking a few friends, and spending some quality time with both my car and the manual, I've come up blank, so here goes.

How do I keep the audio system from auto-playing when I return to the car? As far as I can tell there is no distinguished "off" setting for the audio system as there is on – dare I say – any normal car. If I stop the audio by pausing it, the pause doesn't stick when I return to the car after having been away from it. Of course I can reduce the volume to zero, but that's an ugly kludge.

Surely there must be some way to do this. What am I missing?

Thanks, all. It sounds like there's consensus that it's a bug – upside, I'm not crazy, downside, there's no fix. I guess I need to figure out how to file a bug report with Tesla.
Hold down the voice command button (right side of the steering wheel) and say "BUG REPORT ... " followed by your report. Try to keep your messages less than 30 seconds, as it seems to be more reliable (in my experience).

I haven't seen this problem, perhaps because I have the "sleep mode" disabled, except when I need to use it for minimizing discharge when the car is parked for an extended period (like at the airport). The audio software seems to have problem when resuming from sleep mode - such as the auto-play feature mentioned here, or in losing the position or file of files being played.

Unfortunately, the one mode that is guaranteed to always be turned off when entering the car is when playback was from a Bluetooth device. When re-entering the car, I always have to re-select my smartphone to playback from it. Wish they would fix that obvious problem - and retain the Bluetooth selection, if the same device is present when the car is restarted.

Unfortunately, the one mode that is guaranteed to always be turned off when entering the car is when playback was from a Bluetooth device. When re-entering the car, I always have to re-select my smartphone to playback from it. Wish they would fix that obvious problem - and retain the Bluetooth selection, if the same device is present when the car is restarted.
Can I get an Amen! And now that sending feedback to [email protected] is pointless, I guess this is our only voice.

- - - Updated - - -

I almost added all of my bluetooth gripes here, but decided a new thread was in order:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/46905-List-of-bluetooth-features-lacking-%28my-vw-jetta-handles-bluetooth-better%29?referrerid=9907

Pretty sure this started with 6.2. It annoys me as well and I do have energy save turned on (but also set to Always Connected).

As an aside, I started having a possibly related issue that I didn't see until the .188 release. Has happened twice now. Basically when getting into the car while on a phone call, it looks like the bluetooth connects to the car but the radio also starts playing on its own, but because it's in bluetooth mode, the pause/play control is greyed out so you can't stop the music (which shouldn't be playing when on a bluetooth call anyway) and it overrides the bluetooth audio, so you can't actually have a conversation.

I have this problem but I think it is a problem with iPhone automatically playing not the car?

Our 2011 Lexus will start playing music from the iPhone. The last Camry I rented did not, but the Altima a couple weeks earlier did. It's hit or miss on head units sending the play signal to the iPhone. My aftermarket Bluetooth in my 4Runner does NOT auto-play, but it also does not auto-pause. If it was playing when I turn on the car, it will transfer the audio to the car and keep going automatically.

I haven't seen this problem, perhaps because I have the "sleep mode" disabled, except when I need to use it for minimizing discharge when the car is parked for an extended period (like at the airport). The audio software seems to have problem when resuming from sleep mode - such as the auto-play feature mentioned here, or in losing the position or file of files being played.

So... some people here are annoyed that audio plays automatically and others are annoyed that it doesn't.

The other way to prevent the audio from playing is to turn down the volume to 0 (don't mute it). I do that everytime I leave the car. (mostly habit from when I was parking in a small garage. I wanted to hear if I hit anything. )

When I get back in my tesla, I can't hear the radio unless I turn up the volume.