Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's window not closing all the way - has anyone had this problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little over a week after delivery and already a problem! A bit disappointed but what could you do. My driver's side window does not close all the way. At first, I thought it may have been a seal problem with the triangular window (others have reported having this issue which I initially thought was the case), but I noticed that it's actually the driver's window itself not closing all the way. It's open enough to the point where you can hear the wind while driving but not feel the air -- real annoying actually. Anyone else have this problem? Ran a search but think I'm the only lucky one who has had this problem - well on here at least.

try to roll it down and then roll it up all the way and hold the up button for like 10 seconds or so. supposedly this resets the windows. might or might not work for your specific problem

this will fix the case where the window doesn't return up after the door closes (so every time the door is opened the window gets a little bit lower)

I have this issue. Only the drivers door window doesn't return all the way. Pulling up the switch gives it a fraction of an inch boost. I'll try the 10 second idea from this thread.

I've had this before with the drivers window. Last weekend it was the passenger rear window. What I do is get the window to go down all the way while holding the button down, and leave it held down for a few seconds. Then I hold the button up until the window goes all the way hip, and keep holding it up for a few seconds. Not sure why they keep getting hosed but this seems to fix it.

My previous Z4 had "dancing windows" as well, due to over-sensitive pinch sensors.

I had one of windows stick down in the rain. Same behavior you describe. After the usual stuff failed they had me run a reset process on the window modules. Reboot both consoles to get into a clean state. Use the "Power Off" button on the dash to completely shut down the vehicle. Exit the car and close all doors, then take the key out of range of the vehicle for 2 minutes. Return and open the door, but don't close it. Put the window all the way down, then all the way up, then get in and close the door behind you.

Seems silly, but worked for mine. That said, who knows if that's still a real process. I just called the SC directly and they walked me through it right then on the phone.

I had one of windows stick down in the rain. Same behavior you describe. After the usual stuff failed they had me run a reset process on the window modules. Reboot both consoles to get into a clean state. Use the "Power Off" button on the dash to completely shut down the vehicle. Exit the car and close all doors, then take the key out of range of the vehicle for 2 minutes. Return and open the door, but don't close it. Put the window all the way down, then all the way up, then get in and close the door behind you.

Seems silly, but worked for mine. That said, who knows if that's still a real process. I just called the SC directly and they walked me through it right then on the phone.
I'll give it a shot! Thanks

When (what firmware version do you think) did you follow this advise?

Happened to me yesterday with 7.0 (2.7.56). First time in nearly 2 years of ownership. Rolled window down at a drive-thru. Waited a bit and when I was ready to leave the window would go up about 2/3rds then reverse down to about 1/3rd. If you have ever installed a Chamberlain garage door opener my window behaved very much as if it hit a blockage and reversed to keep from hurting someone. Chamberlain door openers have a torque setting to stop and reverse if the door binds, jams, or hits someone.

Thinking it was binding I tried pulling the window up when closing. Didn't work.

Finally I re-opened the window fully. And now my driver's window closes as it should.

try to roll it down and then roll it up all the way and hold the up button for like 10 seconds or so. supposedly this resets the windows. might or might not work for your specific problem

this will fix the case where the window doesn't return up after the door closes (so every time the door is opened the window gets a little bit lower)
I stumbled on to this method and it worked for me.I held the switch about 5 secs after the window reached the top and then the bottom.

Had this problem tonight, for the first time in nearly 3 years of ownership. My front seat passenger rolled down the passenger side window, then decided to close it again. But the attempt would always cause the window to go up part way, then reverse back down to around 1/3 open. Didn't matter whether we rolled it all the way down first, or whether I used the driver side controls; the window would just not go up. So we were stuck with the window open until reaching our destination. As soon as the passenger door was opened, the window rolled up to the top normally, and now behaves correctly like it always has.

No resets, reboots, holding down the switch for 10 seconds, etc. needed... just opened the door and it started working fine again.