Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO error tracking thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I grabbed a CHAdeMO adapter to get from Boston to Montreal (Supercharging doesn't quite cover it yet ;-) ) - and stopped in Burlington VT to give it the first field test. Few issues:
1) First ChargePoint unit (Marketplace Garage) - was down... make sure to check your ChargePoint app first! :p
2) The second ChargePoint unit (Burlington Electric) - gave me a VE122 error despite multiple attempts to follow instructions and reset the unit.
3) Finally ended up at the Nissan dealer - which was a bonus as their charger put out 37.5 kW (as opposed to the 25kW the Fuji Electric units from ChargePoint were rated at).

Other data:
- I'm running the 6.2 software (but I'm pretty sure that doesn't affect the charging electronics software).

So questions:
- anyone else gotten VE122 with a Fuji Electric CHAdeMO unit?
- I can't find "Vehicle error" troubleshooting anywhere...?

thx! Rob

You should have stopped by to charge at our place. NEMA14-50 outlet and easy to route off highway through Jericho and back. We are on plug share!

DJ

So I grabbed a CHAdeMO adapter to get from Boston to Montreal (Supercharging doesn't quite cover it yet ;-) ) - and stopped in Burlington VT to give it the first field test. Few issues:
1) First ChargePoint unit (Marketplace Garage) - was down... make sure to check your ChargePoint app first! :p
2) The second ChargePoint unit (Burlington Electric) - gave me a VE122 error despite multiple attempts to follow instructions and reset the unit.
3) Finally ended up at the Nissan dealer - which was a bonus as their charger put out 37.5 kW (as opposed to the 25kW the Fuji Electric units from ChargePoint were rated at).

Other data:
- I'm running the 6.2 software (but I'm pretty sure that doesn't affect the charging electronics software).

So questions:
- anyone else gotten VE122 with a Fuji Electric CHAdeMO unit?
- I can't find "Vehicle error" troubleshooting anywhere...?

thx! Rob

I confirmed the problem appears to be communication - tried a SECOND Fuji Electric / ChargePoint / CHAdeMO in Burlington on the way home and had the same problem (VE122 error)... so I ended up back at the Nissan dealer (pulling 37.5kW at least B-) )

Thanks for the offer DJ - was in a bit of a hurry this trip - but next time I head up that way I'd love to stop by and meet!

My local service center manager escalated issue to Tesla CHAdeMO team, and I'm going to ping ChargePoint on it too... will see what we turn up (my guess is simple software/communication issue - as that's so common in EVs and all this "new" interoperability stuff)... and will also ping ChargePoint - I couldn't find any reference material for VExxx codes anywhere... so maybe there's no "standard"?

Rob

I picked up the CHAdeMO adapter for exactly the same reason as snooprob - getting between Boston and Montreal. Referring to PlugShare, I figured this would be a great temporary solution until at least one other supercharger gets built out. I am now fairly nervous about making the trip this weekend, which will also be my first real trip with the Model S.

For another data point, I was able to successfully get a Chademo charge at the So Cal San Juan Capistrano Fuji 25 kW unit...I get out of the car, close the doors, lock the car with the fob (power down), connect the adapter and charge cable, and start the charge session...

Randy,

Did you have to do exactly this, and only this, to get it to work or, did you just happen to do this and it worked on your first try?

Peter

For another data point, I was able to successfully get a Chademo charge at the So Cal San Juan Capistrano Fuji 25 kW unit...I get out of the car, close the doors, lock the car with the fob (power down), connect the adapter and charge cable, and start the charge session...

Yea - interesting data point - as that is *NOT* what I did... the car door was open in one case, and in another it was closed, but there were people in the car and it wasn't locked... I still think we've got a software issue - but I don't have any way to tell what version(s) of software were on the chargers (would probably need ChargePoint to tell me that).

For future reference - here's what the error codes mean (from the 25kW ChargePoint Fuji unit at the Burlington Electric Company):

CHAdeMO-errors.jpg

Chris - when I was trying to get the ChargePoint Fuji 25kW unit working in Burlington VT in the central garage, I flipped the main (electric) breaker a few times to "reboot" the unit, and got that message displayed on the ChargePoint (green-white LED screen) as a scrolling message... is that what you saw?

If so - I think that's indicating a fault between the ChargePoint control electronics, and the Fuji charger electronics (I.E. the "smarts" in the ChargePoint authorization/metering bit can't see the on/off bits in the Fuji electronics) - make sense?

Where (what ChargePoint station location) were you seeing that error - ? I reported the problem with the Burlington one to ChargePoint (no response yet) - if it was another unit, I would start by calling or emailing ChargePoint :)

FWIW - your mileage may vary on the repairs... I've put in tickets with ChargePoint and come back 3-6 months later to a (still) broken unit... they're no where near as effective as Tesla on the SuperChargers (and even that can lag a bit - days to weeks) :-\

Rob

Do all chargepoint units require a card swipe, even if they are free? I apologize for the newbie question....

Yes, afaik all CP stations require a swipe or activation by the CP mobile app, even if they're free.

There have been strange bugs where certain locations only work with a card and not the app or vice-versa. Some people have submitted their CC info and had credit balances are their account, but still received "acct not authorized for pay" messages when trying to use stations as well.

For even more fun, the mobile app will only allow you to start a session if your GPS puts you very close to the station. Unfortunately, the coordinates CP has on file can be wrong. For example, thinking the station is at the entrance to a parking lot when it's actually deep in the back.

After a little CHAdeMO party we had recently when I got my adapter, we struggled with errors and not being to get it to charge. This was a greenlots charger, where you just needed the app on your phone and had to scan the QR code to unlock the box.

After much frustration, LolRick finally hit upon this sequence to get it to charge, and has now done so with success on multiple occasions:

Open charge port
Connect adapter to car
Authenticate on the box
Connect charger to adapter
Let the charger hang and LEAVE IT ALONE
It will start/stop/check plug and eventually start charging

I have found that if I make all the physical connections,CHAdeMO plug to adapter and adapter to car, before trying to authorize and start charging on the CHAdeMO, it works best. I believe that is what the Tesla instruction card that comes with the adapter, written in "Iconish" says. (BTW, I really dislike instructions written in Iconish.)

Longmont Tesla Iconish.JPG

If go to the URL on that card, and then go to the CHAdeMO Adapter Owners Manual in English, on Page 2, the instructions say just that:
CHAdeMO Manual-2.jpg

One issue people have is that it often isn't just "pushing until it snaps into place". Some Chademo handles have this lever that you must counter-intuitively squeeze as you are pressing the adapter and Chademo handle together (yes, this takes three hands). Unless you squeeze the lever as you push, it won't snap into place.

One issue people have is that it often isn't just "pushing until it snaps into place". Some Chademo handles have this lever that you must counter-intuitively squeeze as you are pressing the adapter and Chademo handle together (yes, this takes three hands). Unless you squeeze the lever as you push, it won't snap into place.

Those "squeeze to engage" CHAdeMO connectors are very counter-intuitive. The "Iconish" instructions don't help much either...

Longmont Iconish-1.JPG