Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bottle of champagne for the service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I'm scheduled to pick up my Model S in mid June, the folks at the service center have been amazing, I've been on 3 test drives and many many visits to the service center just to look at the car and decide what I wanted as far as options.

I was thinking of bringing a bottle of champagne for them when I pick up the car, is that something that's accepted in today's society?

Also while I'm asking, any recommendations on which champagne is good?
Im not a drinker so I don't know

I'm scheduled to pick up my Model S in mid June, the folks at the service center have been amazing, I've been on 3 test drives and many many visits to the service center just to look at the car and decide what I wanted as far as options.

I was thinking of bringing a bottle of champagne for them when I pick up the car, is that something that's accepted in today's society?

I think any thoughtful gifting will be appreciated, regardless.

It would make more sense to me to be something that could easily be shared and partaken during the work day. I imagine the gesture is as much value as the cost of the item. Food for thought.

I gave my two DS's gourmet chocolates from a local store. They appreciate it. I imagine they must deal with some very difficult people at times, so I wanted them to feel appreciated. And they did (do) a great job.

When I stopped off at the Service Center in Marietta (Atlanta) for a charge (before there were any Superchargers), I walked over to local lunch spot and brought back a whole host of different desserts for the crew and Sales people to share and enjoy.
Just one big happy family...

And I have dropped off candies and cakes for the crew at the local Dallas Service Center.

While the idea of wine or champagne sounds really good, it would be hard to share it, especially during working hours.

My two Australian cents, they are worth less than US cents:

1. Most employers here do not allow employees gifting by third parties, for various reasons. Employees that receive gift offers must report these offers. Employees likely to be offered gifts must go through ethics training which includes a section on gifts, acceptable and unacceptable gifts. There are very few acceptable gifts, but all gifts are reportable. In summary, offering gifts might place employees in an awkward, undesirable situation of having to deal with uninvited gift offer.

2. Most employers here do not allow alcohol on premises regardless of the alcohol origin, gift or no gift. Alcohol on employers premise, especially if consumed, creates a liability situation for an employer.

That is the situation here, might be different in US. We are called downunder for a reason, we are upside down to the rest of the world

If you really wish to express your gratitude and satisfaction, there are many great ways to do it 21st century way:

1. Express it to Tesla people face to face. If you put some thought and effort into composing a short sincere speech and outline what you appreciate about their service you may have a chance of really touching them and making their day. Most people are thrilled to hear a sincere praise of their work, especially from customers. Hearing customers satisfaction is priceless and trumps a whole carton of alcohol in my world.

2. Write a card or personal note that they can display somewhere in store.

3. Leave positive feedback on Tesla's website - does Tesla have a customer feedback facility customized for each store, similar to Apple? Most businesses do seek feedback from customers after interacting with customers. My BMW service center texts me after service asking for feedback. My broker sends me an email after any contact with customer service. Apple sends email after any store visit, etc, etc.

Put yourself in Tesla technician's shoes. If you were Tesla's employee in that Service Center, what would you choose as the best way for customers to express their satisfaction to you?

It really depends on your local customs. In my country champagne would be appreciated and not be a problem for anybody. BTW I would recommend a nice Alsacé Cremant instead, you get more "bubble for the buck" than with real champagne.

I disagree that it is a local customs issue, it is an employer policy issue. Many employers consider gifting their employees by third parties inappropriate and undesirable as gifting might lead to a conflict of interest. If there is no policy, fine, gift away.

In this case, it is Tesla's issue. I do not know what Tesla's policy is regarding gifting. OP may not know as well.

Without knowing what Tesla's policy is on gifting, there is a risk of putting Tesla's employees in an awkward undesirable situation with gifting attempts.

There is also a risk of the recipient not enjoying being on the receiving end of any gifting attempt, no matter what the gift is. Some people just do not like being given any gifts, no matter how small, in a professional settings. Awkward.

On the other side, giving specific accurate feedback for service is appropriate and unlikely to put anyone in a situation they do not wish to be in.

In this case, bringing food that can be shared by all is fine. I brought lunch one day for the same location, after calling first - mostly to ask 'how many people', but gave them the opportunity to say 'not appropriate'. It's aways appropriate to say thank you, imo.

Most employers that have the policy Auzie mentioned have guidelines. The one my company uses is the gifts' monetary value.
Could the Tesla employee accept 2 box tickets to the Stanley Cup finals. Probably not. However, if the gift is below X (use $50 or $100 ), then it is okay to accept it.

I think food is a good choice.