Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The day has finally come! Eagerly awaiting my new 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It feels like I have been thinking about a MS forever but the early versions did not work for me. 85 too expensive, 60 (let alone 40) too limited in terms of range. As soon as I saw the new 70D, I knew the stars finally aligned for me.

And it just so happens that my 2012 BMW X5d lease is coming to an end. If that is not a sign, I don't know what is.

Anyway, the order is placed, the lease is approved, Tesla here I come.

70D
White with a beautiful black roof
All options selected with the exception of the high fidelity sound. I am tone deaf :) so I am fine with standard.

It feels like I have been thinking about a MS forever but the early versions did not work for me. 85 too expensive, 60 (let alone 40) too limited in terms of range. As soon as I saw the new 70D, I knew the stars finally aligned for me.

And it just so happens that my 2012 BMW X5d lease is coming to an end. If that is not a sign, I don't know what is.

Anyway, the order is placed, the lease is approved, Tesla here I come.

70D
White with a beautiful black roof
All options selected with the exception of the high fidelity sound. I am tone deaf :) so I am fine with standard.

Fantastic, congrats!

I did. In fact I went to the tesla store yesterday with the intention of deciding between the 70D and 85. The price difference between the two is minimal.

That being said they actually talked me out of it. My previous car was a RWD 5 series and while it was fine, I do like the 4WD of my current X5. The car handles better with it.

The range difference between the two is only 25 miles so not worth the $5k and loosing the second motor. They seemed to imply that in the long run there will be more software updates that take advantage of the second motor.

Anyway, my order is finalized as of last night at 70D.

I test drove it yesterday and it is insanely fast :) with the 4WD causing it to stick to the road. Probably not the same thing as the insane mode on the p85D but a much more reasonable price (for me). I can afford the P version but the extra acceleration is not worth it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Loved the tesla store experience btw. A welcome change from a traditional dealership where the salespeople try to push you to spend more.

These se guys talked me out of spending more :).

I did. In fact I went to the tesla store yesterday with the intention of deciding between the 70D and 85. The price difference between the two is minimal.

That being said they actually talked me out of it. My previous car was a RWD 5 series and while it was fine, I do like the 4WD of my current X5. The car handles better with it.

The range difference between the two is only 25 miles so not worth the $5k and loosing the second motor. They seemed to imply that in the long run there will be more software updates that take advantage of the second motor.

I test drove it yesterday and it is insanely fast :) with the 4WD causing it to stick to the road. Probably not the same thing as the insane mode on the p85D but a much more reasonable price (for me). I can afford the P version but the extra acceleration is not worth it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Loved the tesla store experience btw. A welcome change from a traditional dealership where the salespeople try to push you to spend more.

That sounds exactly like the experience I had!

That sounds exactly like the experience I had!

I completely agree with the direction you're heading. There will most certainly be more software upgrades to the D models. I think I'll order a 70D and then try to find an 85D within the wife's price range. If I don't find one, then I'll just have to live with the 70D and I think that will be just fine!

You made a great choice. Uber excited for you! Post pics!

I made one last change at the very last second before the order was finalized. I changed the color to Titanium Metallic. Prior to this I was going for a black and white theme with a white body and a black roof, black seats and white alcantara headliner but saw the Tiatanium up close and it is gorgeous!

Now how do I forget about the purchase until it's closer to the delivery date? Thinking so much about one thing cannot be healthy :)

Congrats!! White & pano roof, that was my 70D build as well! I didn't go with hi-fi sound either. I had been thinking about it for months and finally pounced on April 8th, I figured the announcement was my sign.

- - - Updated - - -

I made one last change at the very last second before the order was finalized. I changed the color to Titanium Metallic. Prior to this I was going for a black and white theme with a white body and a black roof, black seats and white alcantara headliner but saw the Tiatanium up close and it is gorgeous!

Now how do I forget about the purchase until it's closer to the delivery date? Thinking so much about one thing cannot be healthy :)

Ah, just saw the color change -- that is a very nice color, was a close second for me. Again, congrats!

I would like to add that my Tesla person also talked me out of a more expensive car and into the 70D.

I placed an order for a 70D, and then took a test drive with an Owner Advisor before the order was confirmed; during the test drive the Owner Advisor convinced me to choose fewer options. It's pretty crazy, I've certainly never had a dealer try to tell me to spend less money. So far, I've been very happy with the experience of ordering/purchasing a Tesla.

As for the car, it's still in the production queue.

I placed an order for a 70D, and then took a test drive with an Owner Advisor before the order was confirmed; during the test drive the Owner Advisor convinced me to choose fewer options. It's pretty crazy, I've certainly never had a dealer try to tell me to spend less money. So far, I've been very happy with the experience of ordering/purchasing a Tesla.

As for the car, it's still in the production queue.

Same here :).

Placed the order first, took a test drive later. I feel like I know the car already considering how long I have been following it and it did not disappoint.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting this as I'm in a similar place in my thought process (but a bit behind you in being ready to pull the trigger.) I was thinking 85 for the additional range, and watching Björn Nyland driving in Norway winters convinced me the RWD would be fine.

I suspect the research and contemplation period for buying a MS is considerably longer than the average car. Not solely because of the price, but because I think a lot of us need to achieve a base knowledge and level of comfort before we're ready to go for it.

Anyway, congrats and here's hoping the summer flies by for you!

Thanks for posting this as I'm in a similar place in my thought process (but a bit behind you in being ready to pull the trigger.) I was thinking 85 for the additional range, and watching Björn Nyland driving in Norway winters convinced me the RWD would be fine.

I suspect the research and contemplation period for buying a MS is considerably longer than the average car. Not solely because of the price, but because I think a lot of us need to achieve a base knowledge and level of comfort before we're ready to go for it.

Oh, the RWD is definitely fine. I used to drive a 5 series with RWD and I am in NYC so we get a fair amount of snow. The problem is that RWD seems on its way out and the last updates as well as what the CSRs at the tesla store implied seem to indicate more improvements via software updates specifically designed for AWD.

Just wanted to add, that for ME, I am not sure the additional 25 miles of range is worth 1) extra $5k 2) slower acceleration 3) the loss of the AWD (even if it's not needed 99% of the time) 4) and even more importantly the incompatibility with future updates geared towards the dual motor cars..