Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sheetz Chademo chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
anyone use the Sheetz chargers?

it looks like they only have them in PA so far:
STORE #STREET ADDRESSCITYSTATEZIPPHONE
1221781 N Atherton StState CollegePA16803814-237-0192
187400 E Plank RdAltoonaPA16602814-944-6094
498610 Route 22 Hwy WBlairsvillePA15717724-459-4870
5186054 Carlisle PikeMechanicsburgPA17050717-691-1003
5234001 Union Deposit RdHarrisburgPA17109717-558-8750
Capture.GIF

Mechanicsburg worked fine for me. (with the normal CHAdeMO caveats regarding being careful there's a good connection, etc.)

Going from the Somerset to New York, it allowed me to skip the detour South thru Hagerstown. I don't like to count on sole CHAdeMO units, but having another one in Harrisburg as a backup let me exit the turnpike with confidence.

Bad luck this weekend using the sheetz chargers. Harrisburg and mechanicsburg were both out of order on Thursday and the managers at the stores had no idea what to do.

I'm at the state college charger now and it was out of order when I got here. The manager here knew exactly what to do though and had me charging in about five minutes.

I'm located in Cleveland, Ohio. Thinking about picking up a CHAdeMO adapter for a future spatter of trips (NJ, NYC, etc). All of those trips would be better via I-80 ... has anyone taken this trip? It seems like I could use the State College location somehow to make this work. My car is an 85D (270 rated miles).... just trying to figure out if I'll really save much time. It seems like I could save more than an hour CLE to NYC ... but some of that time would be spent charging slower (CHAdeMO = 150 mph charge?) ... thoughts?

Bad luck this weekend using the sheetz chargers. Harrisburg and mechanicsburg were both out of order on Thursday and the managers at the stores had no idea what to do.

I'm at the state college charger now and it was out of order when I got here. The manager here knew exactly what to do though and had me charging in about five minutes.

Hey Matt -- it's the other Matt from Cars and Coffee--

Glad to read you were able to charge okay at the State College Sheetz. Any idea what the manager did to fix the problem and did you get any followup from the Harrisburg area stores after notifying them of the failures?

Hey Matt -- it's the other Matt from Cars and Coffee--

Glad to read you were able to charge okay at the State College Sheetz. Any idea what the manager did to fix the problem and did you get any followup from the Harrisburg area stores after notifying them of the failures?

Hi again. Thanks for the warm welcome in Pittsburgh. :)

She shut off the main circuit breaker feeding the charger. Then she opened the front panel with a key, and shut off what looked like a breaker inside. Turned on the main breaker again, then switched on the switch inside. Then she closed it up and waited for me to get the charge started.

I got a message back from sheetz on Twitter saying they are sending a maintenance person to the stores in Harrisburg to look at the chargers there. I don't expect to hear anything back, but hopefully they are up and running again.

I may be back in Pittsburgh June 6th, not definite though. May see you then.

I'm located in Cleveland, Ohio. Thinking about picking up a CHAdeMO adapter for a future spatter of trips (NJ, NYC, etc). All of those trips would be better via I-80 ... has anyone taken this trip? It seems like I could use the State College location somehow to make this work. My car is an 85D (270 rated miles).... just trying to figure out if I'll really save much time. It seems like I could save more than an hour CLE to NYC ... but some of that time would be spent charging slower (CHAdeMO = 150 mph charge?) ... thoughts?

It's doable. Just did it in my 85D today. Pittsburgh to state college is easy. State college to Newburgh will require a full charge. Alternatively you can stay on 80 down to budd lake there is a chademo charger at a holiday inn down there (green lots). A quick charge there will get you to Paramus or the nj turnpike easily.

The issue with the Eaton Chademo chargers is most often the Emergency Stop was pressed by someone. If this is the case, the Emergency Stop mushroom switch must be rotated to release it. Then someone with a key must open the charger cabinet to reset the main 3-phase AC circuit breaker. This breaker is a shunt trip breaker that is tripped when the Emergency Stop is pushed. Therefore, anytime someone pushes the Emergency Stop button, someone must open the charger and reset the breaker. Without the key to open it, there is nothing you can do. The charger will just say "OUT OF SERVICE" if the breaker is tripped. It won't say anything about the Emergency Stop or the breaker being tripped.

The issue with the Eaton Chademo chargers is most often the Emergency Stop was pressed by someone. If this is the case, the Emergency Stop mushroom switch must be rotated to release it. Then someone with a key must open the charger cabinet to reset the main 3-phase AC circuit breaker. This breaker is a shunt trip breaker that is tripped when the Emergency Stop is pushed. Therefore, anytime someone pushes the Emergency Stop button, someone must open the charger and reset the breaker. Without the key to open it, there is nothing you can do. The charger will just say "OUT OF SERVICE" if the breaker is tripped. It won't say anything about the Emergency Stop or the breaker being tripped.
That's a terrible design. The E-Stop can be pressed by anyone, so it should be able to be reset by anyone.

OMG. I was trying to use a Chademo charger last night in central NJ. I pushed the emergency stop button to try out of frustration because I couldn't get the dang thing to work with my Model S. Such a terrible design.