Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire loss sanity check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
With the weather getting warmer, I'm back at the point where I can typically get in the 270ish wh/mi range for my ~67.5 mile round trip commute. That's typically the energy usage at which my rated miles on the dash just about matches the actual miles traveled as ticked off on the odometer

Today I pulled in to the driveway having averaged 272wh/mi for the day. Yet despite starting the day with 172 rated miles, and only travelling 67.4 miles, I ended up with 94 left. So I lost about 12 miles of range, despite my energy usage being at the "rated" level.

It appears that the range is vampire loss when sitting. This is verified by the Trips tab in Visible Tesla: when I parked this morning I had 136 miles of range left... when I jumped back in ~8 hours later I had 124. That's a 12 miles in 8 hours... or 1.5 miles an hour.

I have the Display energy savings set to on with "Always Connected" checked. I'm at firmware 6.2(101.36.2). This feels like a bit much for vampire loss to me.

So as a sanity check with recent firmware versions... what kind of vampire losses are folks seeing?

Back when the power savings screen was initially introduced with the "Always Connected" option, I seem to recall my vampire loss for a day being more along the lines of 4-6 miles a day.... I feel like it's crept up with the last few FW releases...

So as a sanity check with recent firmware versions... what kind of vampire losses are folks seeing?

I've always seen 8-12 miles per day with "always connected" enabled and VT running. When I contacted Tesla, they said that my mobile usage was the reason the car was exhibiting that behavior. Since, I have turned "always connected" off and I put up with having to wake the car up, and vampire loss was reduced back to the 1-3 miles per day.

So... I found the culprit: I had to go thru a few iterations of Visible Tesla when I opted to try the new "0.50 series" versions. In that process I had not realized the new version had not preserved the "Allow Sleeping" option I had previously set.[1]

As soon as I re-enabled that, my vampire loss is now back down to the previous levels I had seen: I lost 3 miles in the same ~8 hour period yesterday, as opposed to 12 miles of range loss. This is with the car's power saving enabled and "Always Connected" checked.

For those of you above who suggested that you needed to unchecked "Always Connected" to avoid double-digit vampire losses in the space of a workday, I knew there was something wrong with that, as my car had performed much better than that after the new power-savings modes were introduced.

You may want to check if you have something else keeping your car awake (such as hitting the remote access API, etc...)

[1] Although in retrospect, the remote access via phone app was awfully snappy, so I should have suspected something was up...

Ive always had my energy savings on with always connected off. Max vampire loss has always been around 3-4miles per 8 hours. However after updating to 2.4.188, it has gone up to 8miles of loss or 1mile per hour. I assume you guys have the same results?

See my post at Power drain while idle (Vampire Load) - Page 68

Over 10 days, I measured 3.7 rated miles per day on a P85D and 5.4 rated miles per day on an early P85 Sig. Both had energy savings on with always connected checked. The P85 Sig was running 6.2-101.36.2, and the P85D was running 6.2-2.4.153.

I am now driving the P85D regularly, so it's difficult to measure. I set the P85Sig with "always connected" unchecked and the Vampire use is dropping by about 20-30%, more detailed measurements to come.

TeslaMS has it as well, but if "always connected" is checked, it isn't asleep and therefore gets polled every minute, which drives vampire loss.

Hmmm... if the car is set to enable power saving, then it appears to power down a number of systems. Checking "Always Connected" enables a subset of the systems necessary to respond to remote API calls more quickly (it still takes a bit to wake up the rest of the systems). But my car is definitely not fully awake with that combo set: the phone takes 15-20 seconds to get a response rather than 5, the car has to wake screens when I get in, VT has to wake it up to get charge state, etc... I also get significantly less vampire loss, as noted above.

If "Always Connected" isn't checked, these activities take quite a bit longer...

VT is able to discern this and poll the car and determine if it is awake, without waking it up if it is not. Perhaps TeslaMS can't do this?

Ive always had my energy savings on with always connected off. Max vampire loss has always been around 3-4miles per 8 hours. However after updating to 2.4.188, it has gone up to 8miles of loss or 1mile per hour. I assume you guys have the same results?

Interestingly today I only lost 1 mile of range from "sleeping" for 12hrs. Only thing different was that I cycled the selection for energy savings and always connected from on to off. Maybe it isn't a problem.

According to VT, I'm also seeing in the range of 8-12 miles of vampire loss per day. But by using the "sequence" option, I can see that the losses seem to occur pretty consistently at the end of drives, and when charging stops. What does this mean? Am I seeing the result of the car having to cool the pack?

Also am I correct that the "Raw Data" pane within the Vampire Loss section no longer exists in the .50 versions? The only options I have are "By Time" and "Sequence."

Thanks.