Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM manufacturers for the parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wonder whether the major parts of Model S such as suspension and electric motors are in fact manufactured by OEM suppliers. Taking my previous Mercedes as example, the suspension system is manufactured by Bilstein and the 12V battery is from Vatra. How is the case for the Model S?

The drive motor is of Tesla design and manufacture you can look up YouTube for documentary made by discovery channel about their factory. Chassis as it's made for EV to hold the battery pack is of Tesla design, I heard that air suspension is OEM (same as that for Mercedes) bought in item.

To my curiosity, are the DC/AC Invertor and the 17" control panel manufactured by Tesla in US? The invertor has to be very tough to stand against heat and RFI (radio frequency interference). A good invertor could be very expensive.

I don't think Tesla manufactures all the electronics themselves, they must have designed them e.g. the UI and the 17" touch panel and the hardware that goes with it. There simply weren't anything close in the market 4/5 years ago that Tesla could have bought off the shelf. Another more important consideration is about intellectual property rights and the need to be in stealth mode when they put the design together. It's like Apple designing an iPhone or Watch.

Checked with some Electronics colleagues, DC/AC invertor technology is now very mature. The cost of a good invertor under the production scale of Tesla will not be expensive. Manufacturers in Taiwan can handle that in a very competent manner.

I don't think Tesla manufactures all the electronics themselves, they must have designed them e.g. the UI and the 17" touch panel and the hardware that goes with it. There simply weren't anything close in the market 4/5 years ago that Tesla could have bought off the shelf. Another more important consideration is about intellectual property rights and the need to be in stealth mode when they put the design together. It's like Apple designing an iPhone or Watch.

Most of the teardowns show Tesla logos on those circuit boards. The 17" is most likely an nvidia reference design.

I think many parts on Tesla are from Mercedes OEM.
The rear seats on MS are OEM of some company but don't know which company.
Seating final assembly is done in the Fremont factory by Tesla. They may only be fitting the padding and upholstery to the frames received complete from a vendor. This probably drastically reduces inventory and lead time of all permutations of custom configuration.