Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

top speed tuning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody,

someone knows how to increase top speed?

Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: which particular model are you talking about? The 70D and S85 are limited to 225kmh, and the 85D and P85D are limited to 250kmh. High speed isn't really this car's forté, at least not yet; even the high-end models only allow 250kmh for brief "overtake" stints before limiting at a lower speed (230kmh? Can't remember). What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with a higher top speed? I'll be pretty happy with 250kmh, though I hope sometime in my life to beat 330kmh in an electric car. :)

^ Yea, I wouldn't actually recommend doing it. But it is the only control we have on the car to change the top speed. If someone really wanted to got faster than 250 kph they could trim the fender liner, keep the suspension on high and stuff larger tires in there.

Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: which particular model are you talking about? The 70D and S85 are limited to 225kmh, and the 85D and P85D are limited to 250kmh. High speed isn't really this car's forté, at least not yet; even the high-end models only allow 250kmh for brief "overtake" stints before limiting at a lower speed (230kmh? Can't remember). What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with a higher top speed? I'll be pretty happy with 250kmh, though I hope sometime in my life to beat 330kmh in an electric car. :)
I'm talking about old models to set their top speed as new models (you said S85 is limited to 225kmh but it was 200kmh (S60 to 190kmh and S85P to 210) but go over 250kmh for new model is for me interesting too.
Really there is not a software way to increase top speed?

Unless a service advisor gives you a code and its entered (like there is a problem and they have you do something remotely) your warranty would immediately be void and for those that think we'll I'm over my 50k warranty it also voids the 8 year battery and DU warranty.

I've asked this question to. I have a P85 and would love to get to 155mph or even 140mph. I know my car can do it..it hits 134 now easily and my guess in that eventually we'll be able to at least be u locked to 140. Now in my 18 months of ownership how many times have I ever NEEDED to go that fast? 0 how many times have I just because I can. A few.

Saleen's FourSixteen lowers the drive ratio to improve acceleration off the line by sacrificing top speed. Perhaps they can do the reverse and sacrifice acceleration. I'm pretty sure the D's already have a taller gearing in the rear compared to non D's.

Maybe you could deactivate the ABS (speed-sensors) so the car dosen't know how fast it's going. If the car uses onboard GPS as backup, you could just get an GPS-jammer to block that out aswell.

A little crazy, has anyone tried something like this?

No.

Viewing diagnostic data cannot void your warranty in the US. To do so would be contrary to at least two Federal laws. However, I really don't want this thread to turn into a discussion of warranty and what Tesla will/won't can/can't do. Instead, I want to nail down whether the maintenance screen code is known to Tesla owners, or not. Assume I'm willing to take the risk, and make the legal challenge.

So, again, what/where is the code?

+1 Danal
I get so tired of people reflexively saying "It will void your warranty" to every discussion of modification when they have no idea what they are talking about. Sure, it setting and driving the car at a higher top speed was shown to have overheated the motor/inverter/whatever (if Tesla could prove this), that may be true for that part but you are not going to lose your warranty for simply accessing the code and making a simple change.

You are correct, accessing and viewing won't void anything. But if you change settings and subsequently have drivetrain issue, tesla will have definitive proof via logging, and you'll be paying for your repair. If you still want to go ahead, then please do via PM, not on open forum where people with either no judgement or no sense might make uninformed costly decision. Also, please understand it will not be on tesla to prove causality. They'll deny repair claim and you will have to sue them.