Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Proximity Sensor Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was driving today over a bridge and someone changed lanes to fall in behind me VERY close. A loud beeping started and it sounded like it came from the back of the car. I'm assuming that the driver behind me was close enough to trigger the proximity warning - no contact occurred though. The odd thing was, the beeping didn't stop until about 2-3 minutes later after I pulled into a parking garage where the front proximity sensors were triggered by the posts at the entrance to the garage.

Anyone else had a sensor go off while driving at 25+ mph? Do these things normally keep beeping even after the cars spread apart?

Was driving today over a bridge and someone changed lanes to fall in behind me VERY close. A loud beeping started and it sounded like it came from the back of the car. I'm assuming that the driver behind me was close enough to trigger the proximity warning - no contact occurred though. The odd thing was, the beeping didn't stop until about 2-3 minutes later after I pulled into a parking garage where the front proximity sensors were triggered by the posts at the entrance to the garage.

Anyone else had a sensor go off while driving at 25+ mph? Do these things normally keep beeping even after the cars spread apart?

I'm surprised no one has answered you.

I can't help much, but can tell you I've never experienced anything like this. I have no idea why the sensors would keep sounding an alert for two to three minutes. Something sounds wrong.

You may want to report this to Tesla, and have them check the logs.

Good luck!

funny you posted this -- today i was driving on the freeway normally, enjoying some music, when i noticed this beeping sound. i thought i was going crazy or that maybe it was the music; then i muted it and it was still there. i pulled over into a parking plaza and as soon as the parking sensors came on, i guess that triggered the beeping to stop. no idea why that beeping went off - especially at 80 mph (i was on the freeway while it happened). i recorded a video just in case. i'll see how it came out before i upload it. though i know recording while driving is probably not the smartest thing, but i couldnt resist.