Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Changes in New Firmware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my P85D, on the firmware update 1 prior to .188, I noticed almost immediately that regen was MUCH less aggressive (in standard mode, always) than in all firmwares before. It's slower to come on and has far less pull-down than before. As a consequence, I'm finding myself using the brakes at most stop signs where previously I used them only under 10mph for most occasions. x.188 hasn't changed this behavior. Am I crazy or have others noticed this as well?

I did a test drive of a P85D and 70D today... regen is less aggressive in those cars than my Sig. Just to check, I had the local sales consultant drive my car (he had not driven a car with a VIN under 30k until that point), and he noted the difference as well.

They both still went to 60 kW, however in the Sig the ramp-up to 60 kW is nearly instant; in the other cars, it took a second or so before the car reached 60 kW regen.

Nothing personal but every time there's a FW update a few folks come along thinking that the regen (or acceleration) pattern has been changed. Tesla wouldn't make a change to the driving dynamics without saying so.

Best advice is to check your settings, do a full reboot and try not to overthink. If you're still feeling there's something wrong contact Tesla Service in Brandon.

Regen seems to have definitely been reduced incrementally since I got my car last May. Very noticeable to me. Perhaps the slower ramp-up to 60kWh is to preserve the drive train? I always thought that the aggressive switch-over to regen would wear on the gears. Docgarner hit the nail on the head. It's when you're going slower that it really is reduced. Maybe they need to add another setting. Low - Standard - Insane....I want Insane regen like it was when I first got the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing personal but every time there's a FW update a few folks come along thinking that the regen (or acceleration) pattern has been changed. Tesla wouldn't make a change to the driving dynamics without saying so.

I did read somewhere recently that the latest firmware had remapping of the accellerator. May have been in the release notes. I don't recall where I saw it.

Regen hasn't changed for my car, it's been consistent since the day I took delivery, aggressive on the front and tapering at about 10 mph. But there clearly is a difference between my car and the newer ones.

Firmware updates aren't changing mine, but the test drive shows newer models aren't as aggressive with it. I like the more aggressive regen personally.

Best advice is to check your settings, do a full reboot and try not to overthink. If you're still feeling there's something wrong contact Tesla Service in Brandon.

Nigel, I had a P85 Autopilot hardware loaner 2 weeks ago. When I came to my first stop sign, I noticed this instantly. It seems to have to do with all the new Autopilot enabled cars. It would jump to 30kW regen, hold for a brief second, then go up to 60. It was like a hesitation. Ran out of time to get it on video. In comparison, my Classic 60, jumps directly to 60kW regen. The P85, it just felt odd. Felt like I wasnt going to stop in time. Very bad for stop and go traffic, due to the hesitation, I ended up needing to use the standard brakes to slow down enough. I did not like it at all.

Regen hasn't changed for my car, it's been consistent since the day I took delivery, aggressive on the front and tapering at about 10 mph. But there clearly is a difference between my car and the newer ones.

Firmware updates aren't changing mine, but the test drive shows newer models aren't as aggressive with it. I like the more aggressive regen personally.

Exactly the same here.

- - - Updated - - -

Nigel, I had a P85 Autopilot hardware loaner 2 weeks ago. When I came to my first stop sign, I noticed this instantly. It seems to have to do with all the new Autopilot enabled cars. It would jump to 30kW regen, hold for a brief second, then go up to 60. It was like a hesitation. Ran out of time to get it on video. In comparison, my Classic 60, jumps directly to 60kW regen. The P85, it just felt odd. Felt like I wasnt going to stop in time. Very bad for stop and go traffic, due to the hesitation, I ended up needing to use the standard brakes to slow down enough. I did not like it at all.

For clarity I'll just state that my earlier post covered FW updates and not different car configurations. E.g. I drove a P85D a couple months back and it felt quite different to my Sig P85.

My car has always done this I thought it was normal. Most the time that jump from 30 to 60 is alarming and feels harsh.

On the topic of regen, I'd like to see a regen OFF setting for highway driving.

It takes real careful modulation of the right foot to try and dial-in zero energy while going down hills, etc... when you just want to glide.

Regen, like brakes, is less efficient than just coasting.

Same here. No difference at all.

I should clarify. For about 6 months, across a couple of firmware updates, my car would not give me full re-gen. It would max out at about 40 kW regardless of the ambient or battery temperature. After my main contactors failed and were replaced, I started getting full 60 kW again. I can't imagine how the two facts are related, but there you go. This anomaly notwithstanding, my regen characteristics have not changed in 2+ years.

It takes real careful modulation of the right foot to try and dial-in zero energy while going down hills, etc... when you just want to glide.

I like the Mercedes approach where they use the paddle shifters to switch between D- very little Regen/coasting;
D auto Regen (which is more aggressive in average and also modulates itself to traffic in front sensed by radar so your car will regen itself roughly to the same speed of the traffic ahead) and then
D+ which is very high Regen (eg in downhills, highway exits)

I know having extra controls is not as minimalist but I'm happy with the output and control.

I think what'd be even better would be an option to have regen tied to using the brake pedal, with the car modulating the actual split between brake pads and regen depending on degree of force required and speed to determine how much of each is used. That's pretty much how the Volt does it, and it surprised me that the Model S seems to treat the brake pedal as strictly a mechanical brake control. If I had to guess it's probably trickier to give the brakes a proper sporty feel when trying to combine pads/regen, but I still wouldn't mind an option to switch to that for highway driving.

Interesting. Are you sure? I thought that's what it does today. Don't own a model S so can't say. It seems the default common design in Evs & phevs.
The B-class electric does what you describe too, but you can still adjust the "baseline" regen you get with the feet off the brake w the paddles.

It's funny to think that after almost a century people are rethinking what vehicle controls "should" be and all these experiments are being done. Like we look back on the very first ICE car models and laugh at some decisions (you changed speed with a lever?) I'm sure people will chuckle at all these iterations (you had knobs and buttons for what?!)

Interesting. Are you sure? I thought that's what it does today. Don't own a model S so can't say. It seems the default common design in Evs & phevs.
The B-class electric does what you describe too, but you can still adjust the "baseline" regen you get with the feet off the brake w the paddles.

It's possible that the brake pedal has some influence over regen, but my perception after a month with my 85D is that if it does that it's very little. Anyone who knows for sure who can confirm/deny?

It's possible that the brake pedal has some influence over regen, but my perception after a month with my 85D is that if it does that it's very little. Anyone who knows for sure who can confirm/deny?

I know for sure. Regen has nothing to do with the brake pedal and is purely tied to the accelerator.

I dislike the idea of that "half-and-half" crap with the brake pedal and regen. I think the current approach is far more elegant and avoids the "jerky" response that the various cars give when implemented this way.

Just nudge the gear shift up to get neutral to glide most efficiently.