Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat red paint match help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some help finding a good auto paint shop to match up my bumper to the rest of the car, here's the story...

IMG_20150320_180709.jpg

Following to closely (dumb..), ended up with the above... appropriate tears shed for a dream car with 2000 km on it

Sent it to Excellence through TD insurance, great communication all along, $7000 for parts, $6000 for labour, delivered to my door the night it was finished!

IMG_4484.jpg
IMG_4489.jpg

Unfortunately the daylight revealed the paint didn't match at all, no problem, Excellence sent their driver immediately to collect it, returned later the same week, again right to my door, great service.

IMG_4505.jpg
IMG_20150424_140037.jpg

Damaged side was flawless, the other side of the new bumper not so much. I drove the car myself back to Excellence, they agreed to try to match the bumper again, left with a rental. Car done that very day! I went back to pick it up, improved but not ideal, was told because the bumper is plastic they couldn't match it any better, I thanked them, sent them an Edible Arrangement for stellar service (not so much the paint job but I think they really tried their best)

post accident 3rd attempt
IMG_20150430_133319.jpg

pre accident
IMG_4237.JPG

So I'm left with the above, not so bad in low light but noticeable in the daytime compared to the bottom one taken before the accident.

Does anyone know a specialty auto paint 'fixer' in the GTA that might take this on? I went to Tesla service and they essentially said Excellence was it and I could try others if I wanted.

Or will it just get worse and I should forget about it?

Thanks

Last edited:
When we replace the bumper on a multicoat (three stage) finish, we always blend all the adjacent panels. That's the only way to guarantee a match. The multicoat red can be very difficult. We found on that color it pays to use the same product the factory uses. (Glasurit). When we had problems, BASF helped us further with a special tint formula.