Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered 85D on 30/3/15 from China, still not in production till 29/4/15.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a 85D and got the VIN on Mar. 30th but until yesterday, the status of my car was still "entered the production queue".

From the tracking sheet I can see a lot of cars with VIN date in Apr. already in production even since Apr. 21st.

tesla delivery.JPG

Today my DS called me and said that my car is in production, I checked my.tesla and found the status became "The Tesla factory has prepared to build your Model S", this is the exact translation of the status in Chinese. Seems quite different from the standard "The Tesla factory is building your Model S".

It seems Tesla is still not good in China, not only with the above mentioned unprofessional status expression, even the Chinese website itself is difficult to open just like google in China, and the order seems to be the lowest priority in their production queue. For the price, almost 50% higher than the price in the states.

Anyway, hopefully I can get my car in June, it's just like back in 2007 anticipating the new Iphone 3G.

The production order at Tesla is mysterious and can't be predicted accurately as they batch cars through in different order than VIN number. My car was ordered 21/3 and confirmed 25/3 and just entered production late night 27/4. Which sounds about the same time frame as yours from placing an order to starting build.

I have found communication to be very lacking as reported elsewhere on the boards as well.

Could be any manner of things. Ours was confirmed 2 days later and started production 1 day earlier. Could be because of options we each chose. We dont know how Tesla schedules manufacturing. They could do batch up certain colors to go at the same time, they could batch up similiar configurations to go at the same time. A couple day difference isnt something to be concerned about in my opinion and isnt unprofessional.

A different owner who ordered / confirmed more than a week after me got his P85D almost three weeks ahead of me - both of us on the West Coast of the US.
The options you pick clearly influence the manufacturing order, as does the delivery schedule (i.e., they know when the next boat to China will leave).
I wouldn't worry too much about this.

In 2014, China customers waited 6-10 months from order date. It is getting better. They will batch and ship certain blocks of cars together. I doubt China orders will be built until sometime later in the quarter once the majority of 70D USA orders are built. I think they need enough China orders to be shipped together in one sea-going shipment. They simply do not build cars in Vin # order.

Last year, Hong Kong orders received a Vin # in March, were built in June and arrived in HongKong in August.

From the Australia forum area, I do see a couple Australia orders which confirmed mid-March 2015, have been built and are in-transit now.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your guys comments. The estimated delivery date promised when I ordered was early June but now they told me that as the production has not completed by now then it will be mid June, who knows? My point is Tesla can and should do better in China if they want to get better sales in China.

I think only 30 days after ordering it's pretty early to jump to conclusions that Tesla is somehow favoring other countries above China in their production plans. China is a notoriously difficult place to do business for foreign companies and to expect the same level of service as their customers in easier to serve countries... well that's pretty hard to understand from my perspective.

But like everyone says, you drop $100K-$140K on a car you expect top notch service. I am also waiting for my order but it's pretty clear going in that they build to order with a 4 to 6 week lead time. Maybe more if you're outside the country. There are plenty of other car options out there in the world but only one Tesla. :) So I'm patiently waiting. Or at least trying to.

This does seem like a long wait for China.

In europe i keep seeing most of our neighbours getting their P85Ds within a couple of months.

Here in the UK i ordered a P85D in Feb and still don't even have a VIN. I too wish they would hurry up.

I thought china being RHD would be quicker for you.

I have seen 1 parked in an underground Beijing garage and 2 on Shanghai streets, probably because I was near the Tesla dealer. They are rare in China. You will have some serious bragging rights in addition to owning a really great car. Try to be patient.

March 30 to mid June with a 4 week ocean transit seems reasonable, much better than my delivery. One day you will see it go into production and 2 weeks later it will be on a boat. Hopefully you will see the status change in the next day or 2.
I actually ordered my Tesla during a trip to China. No problem with their website then. No problem today. Google and Gmail on the other hand...... :cursing:

Are you in Hangzhou? How do you plan to charge it?