Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type 2 adaptor cable for >32A charging at public stations in EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since "type 2" is the norm here in Europe (single phase is just not good enought, so it's a good thing) I was thinking about making an adaptor cable to utilize the 43kw type 2 public chargers on my Roadster. Using Neutral and L1 it is possible to charge the Roadster at 230 volt at ~60 amps.

However, realising that this is more current that I have in my entire house I came to the conclution that "rebuilding" a 32A tesla plug was just not safe enough.
So using my network of engineering friends I finaly got a company to professionaly create this custom adapter:
IMG_1600x.jpg
IMG_1598_x.jpg

(picture while testing it on a 32A charger)

The wires are 10mm2 with type 1 in one end and type 2 male in the other end, since the public "fast ac" chargers has type 2 cable attached.
Since I allready have "the can" (rated at 75A) I now have a portable adapter to bring with me on road trips.

Note that in EU the type 1 socket is only rated to max 50A, while in the US it's rated at 80A(?), so I will be monitoring it for heat the first times.

I payed NOK1500 for it (USD200)

Attachments

• IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Are you serious that nobody makes a Type 2 (male) to Type 1 connector that is rated for more than 32A? I have sold a lot of Can Jr adapters to people in EU and elsewhere and I assumed they could buy a cable rated for 63A. About USD 200 is a good price for that adapter.

Are you serious that nobody makes a Type 2 (male) to Type 1 connector that is rated for more than 32A? I have sold a lot of Can Jr adapters to people in EU and elsewhere and I assumed they could buy a cable rated for 63A. About USD 200 is a good price for that adapter.

I have not found a normal or a male type 2 to type 1 charge cable above 32A, at least not in europe.

Mark77a: Yes I've seen this, but I did not like the idea of modifiying cables on this current myself. So I got a professional company to do it instead, and the cost was really reasonable.

Tx for sharing!

Here a post to confirm that the manual Mark77a referred to, works great too. I used it some time ago to 'manhandle' a cable Henry kind enough to provide me with :) It now fits a 60A outlet perfectly and charges with no problem whatsoever. My charging habit is that I use those 60A stations only when, while traveling, some extra juice is needed fast. Therefore I haven't charged longer than 1 hour at a 60A station, adding approximately 80km/hour range. Mjummie! :)