Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on color matching door handle and paint armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry if this has been posted. I tried to do a search.

For those who color matched their door handles to the car color, what did you do? Did you get them painted? All the ones I've seen that match are from a complete car wrap.

If you color matched the door handle did you do just the part before the handle pops out?

Also, what is the "paint armor" that is listed on the cars?

I found out what the paint armor is.

Also I see many wrap the door handles. Wanted to get some advice on what to do with the handles on a white car. I don't think the wrap comes in a white that matches the car. Am I wrong? What have others done?

@1Ton

Paint Armor is something Tesla offered for paint protection from the factory, we’d recommend going with XPEL Ultimate, its a self-healing paint protection film that will help protect your car from rock chips, scratches, swirl marks, etc. If its something that came on a car that you bought pre-owned it can be removed professionally and have another paint protection film installed.

We’re sponsoring TMC Connect in July, if possible come see us at our booth for more options and information: TMC CONNECT

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out or PM us...in the mean time check out our recent install on a Tesla: HERE

Benjamin Kenney
Brand Ambassador
XPEL TECHNOLOGIES Corp.

Can I bring this topic back to life?

I couldn't color match the Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint when I attempted to wrap the handles. Now I'm looking to painting them. Any guidance here would be huge!

To paint them properly, you'd want to get the door handle assemblies removed from the car, the "chrome" portion of the handle can be dismantled from the entire handle assembly once the entire unit is removed from the car and the sent off to the body shop of your choice. Otherwise you are going to be dealing with masking, and painting the car with at least one door (or hatch) open so they don't retract on you.

To remove the handle modules involves removing the door panels, window trims, and for the fronts, removing the glass to get access to the handle assembly.

Thanks so much for the response, Cricket88. Indeed, I talked to a guy that said he would paint (and not guarantee) the handles. He walked through the process you mented above to the letter. It would be in the $1K-2K range to get it done. Once he started saying he was going to pull the doors apart, I lost interest in a hurry. I'm back to attempting to wrap them and I'm sure we'll find something close enough to make me happy. . .