Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend's HellCat VS P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll call that fair. I like the amount of time he took to look at the pluses and minuses. He's a motorhead and that's OK, it's a motorhead magazine. For him to give the evaluations that close is a huge step for any car magazine compared to a few years ago.
I admit, I'd love to drive a hellcat...not before I drive a P85D, but still, it does look like a LOT of fun!

Nice show, clearly he is a muscle car guy, and given it was about the most "badass" American car the result was fair enough. Then on the other hand, turning a pair of perfectly good tires to dust is a bit obscene. The show was enjoyable throughout, gotta love his enthusiasm!

Fair. I'm like everyone else. It was a fair comparison and under the criteria of "badass" the Dodge would win, as it did. If the criteria was a badass car that you want to drive every day then I'm sure the P85D would win.

Being nit-picky, the Dodge is not an American car. It might be made in America, but Fiat owns Dodge so it is an Italian car. That is no different than saying that a Toyota is an American car when the factory is in the USA. It's a Toyota.

Why is the P85D not putting out full power at the end of the quarter mile?

This was taken right as they cross the finish line, P85D just hit 113mph i.e. no-where near the limiter, range is 198mi so the battery is pretty much at full charge, yet it seems to be doing closer to 300kW output, not 450kW+

ERWWvWP.png

The P85 also backs the power down as you approach top speed, so that is no surprise.

Probably engineering reasons - drive train components are getting hot (motor and/or power inverter), and possibly also to avoid overshooting maximum speed.

The P85 also backs the power down as you approach top speed, so that is no surprise.

Probably engineering reasons - drive train components are getting hot (motor and/or power inverter), and possibly also to avoid overshooting maximum speed.
What Doug said. If you watch carefully, you can tell that they clearly ran the race several times. I'd bet the drive train components were getting hot.

Both red white and blue?

I was under the impression these were Italian now...

Dodge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chrysler (/ˈkrslər/), officially FCA US LLC, is an American automobile manufacturer headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan and owned by Italian automaker Fiat

My 2012 Wrangler was actually a 2 door Italian convertible.

At least your Wrangler is built in the US. The Charger is Italian-owned and Canadian built. Perhaps better to say the ultimate Canadian badass?

Sadly, this video just confirms for me what we lost when they stopped building the RWD Ps.

Very entertaining and certainly fare. I would say though, these cars are for completely different purposes in my opinion. I haven't heard the fist Model S buyer who also had a HellCat on their short list.

One of the threads around here about a month ago with a vid of a Hellcat beating a P85D was posted by a guy who owned them both... he was racing his son.