Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Store keeps opening on iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm having a really weird issue when browsing the forums on my iPhone 4. I also can reproduce the problem with another iPhone. Every time I open a thread, suddenly the App Store opens up displaying mostly Games. It's driving me crazy as I am unable to use the forums. It just keeps opening up the damn App Store. But this just happens when I am on WiFi (tried different networks already) I have the same issue on other sites as well, for example mashable . com. Does the hoster of this site maybe have an idea if that has anything to do with the ads presented here? I couldn't find any answer on the Apple forums.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Elliott

I think that’s related to a ‘feature’ where your teslamotors web site will send your iPhone to the app store to download the app for the website. You’ll see it for most forum web sites that are based on the platform this one is. There might be a configuration option that the administrators can toggle, but I’m not sure.

I think that’s related to a ‘feature’ where your teslamotors web site will send your iPhone to the app store to download the app for the website. You’ll see it for most forum web sites that are based on the platform this one is. There might be a configuration option that the administrators can toggle, but I’m not sure.

Hey, thanks and sorry for the late reply. I installed an alternate browser for my iPhone. It stopped redirecting but my phone gets super hot. Oh well...

This sounds like a rogue (or simply bad, but allowed to run) advertiser. Many advertisers now sneak in itunes:// and app:// urls into their adverts so that the store (or app) automatically launches. Most reputable networks frown on this.

If it is only happening at the TMC site, then I can tell you how to block advertising at TMC : make a donation.
For the amount of time I am on TMC, I figure it is a worthwhile cause.

If you get the same type of behavior going to other internet sites, then it is something else.

I've had this happen repeatedly when accessing another site from my iPhone 5S. It's the same redirect to a site that launches the app store page for a game. I think it's a malignant advertisement on the web page as someone suggested above.

If it is only happening at the TMC site, then I can tell you how to block advertising at TMC : make a donation.
For the amount of time I am on TMC, I figure it is a worthwhile cause.

If you get the same type of behavior going to other internet sites, then it is something else.

That's certainly an option (and a good one, at that), but doesn't change the fact that there's rogue ads that need to be addressed.