Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE plans giant EV order to "jump start" the industry

GE plans giant EV order to "jump start" the industry

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...stry-step.html
    ...GE, whose power-generation equipment provides a third of the world’s electricity, will order “tens of thousands” of the vehicles in about a week, Immelt said yesterday in a speech in London, without giving a total or identifying a manufacturer...

The leaf is about the only car that fits the "tens of thousands" criteria at this time.

Automakers preparing to sell vehicles powered solely by batteries in the next 18 months include Nissan Motor Co., which starts delivering Leaf hatchbacks late this year; Ford Motor Co., readying electric versions of its Transit Connect delivery van and Focus compact car; and Toyota Motor Corp., which will sell a rechargeable RAV4 sport-utility vehicle.
    I've noticed Tesla is often left out of articles describing auto manufacturers and their plans to sell EVs. Certainly, many of the 22500 GE sales force driving EVs would prefer a 300-mile range Model S over other offerings.

Saving for a Model E
    Quote Originally Posted by Iz View Post
    I've noticed Tesla is often left out of articles describing auto manufacturers and their plans to sell EVs.
    It makes me mad when Tesla is left out of articles discussing EV manufacturers. I realize this is kind of "preaching to the choir" but Tesla was the reason all of the other automakers pulled their heads out of the sand and started planning/showing soon-to-be-released EVs!

It's also bothersome that Tesla doesn't get a mention when they talk about the RAV4 EV which, as we know, is going to be powered by Tesla technology.
    CJ Barlow

"Until we see every car on the road being electric, we will not stop." - Elon Musk

Nerd
    Hopefully they'll buy vehicles across different brands. A rising tide and all that. This could help a number of companies really get started off nicely.

I agree, but I doubt they'd be buying many Tesla Roadsters... maybe for their executives.
    Model S #5253 - Black 85kWh

Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post
    I agree, but I doubt they'd be buying many Tesla Roadsters... maybe for their executives.
    They could actually leave deposits now on several hundred or even, several thousand, Model S reservations. Electric utility companies are also potential customers.

You guys are forgetting Coda. I think all of their efforts are going after fleet sales. I mean com'on, what else is a boring car perfect for?

It's genius really.
    Last edited by vfx; 2010-11-01 at 02:22 PM. Reason: ,

Items for Sale
    True, but could you imagine being a GE tech supplied with a company EV...you get a Coda...a different tech doing the same job as you gets a Roadster or a Model S ???...talk about the definition of being pissed...

Quote Originally Posted by Iz View Post
    They could actually leave deposits now on several hundred or even, several thousand, Model S reservations. Electric utility companies are also potential customers.
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    True, but could you imagine being a GE tech supplied with a company EV...you get a Coda...a different tech doing the same job as you gets a Roadster or a Model S ???...talk about the definition of being pissed.
    They could bundle the various models into their sales force incentive program. Start 'em out with a Tango and work up to a Tesla.

Thread Information