Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any fast chargers from Concord NH to to Montreal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any fast chargers from Concord NH to Montreal?

Hey Guys,

We are getting ready for a trip to Montreal from Concord NH. There are no superchargers going north once you leave Concord-Hooksett area.
Just bought a Chademo adapter to help with this trip (don't want to wait 2h to get less than 40mi via L2)
I would appreciate if anyone shares experience with some fast chargers on this route.

Many thanks.
Omega

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

We are getting ready for a trip to Montreal from Concord NH. There are no superchargers going north once you leave Concord-Hooksett area.
Just bought a Chademo adapter to help with this trip (don't want to wait 2h to get less than 40mi via L2)
I would appreciate if anyone shares experience with some fast chargers on this route.

Many thanks.
Omega
Check plugshare. Lots of Chademo's in Barre through Burlington. Also see Sun Country Highway Map - if you have dual chargers, there are some high current (72/80 amp) J1772's north of the boarder, including 72A in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, Québec (off A35). Even if you only have one charger, you can still get 40A

I was in Lebanon today; no signs of activity at the proposed Leb supercharger site.

Once near Montreal if you're tight on range we have two owners in Candiac with 80A HPWC on 240V (60mi/h charge) and also one 80A HPWC at the Alt Hotel (underground garage, freely accessible) at the Dix30 outlets (Highway 10 and 30 crossing point)

Links to owners on plugshare (there are many more): Here and Here

Link to the Alt Hotel: Plugshare Link

Then depending on your destination you can then Supercharge at the Montreal Service Center faster.

The ChaDeMo charger are all listed on PlugShare but from the US Border to Montreal there are none really useful going to Montreal.

There a many CHAdeMO options on route, whether in White River Junction, Montepelier, or Burlington. However, please note that most are either 22 kW by design, or are 43 kW Nissan units where most Model S are restricted to 25 kW (about 125 km per hour).

Currently, you need the Chargepoint card or app for the majority of the stations, even though they are mostly free. The exception is the pair in WRJ that require no card for the time-being, but are slated to go on the evGo network very soon.

Hey Guys,

Many thanks.
Omega
Are you going to Montreal or around the Montreal area?

If you are going up north, there is a 50kW CHAdeMO station near exit 28 on hwy 15. Its on AZRA network (smartphone app operated). My HPWC(40amps outside, 80amps inside garage) is also available on PlugShare, I'm right next to exit 25.

Let me know.

Check plugshare. Lots of Chademo's in Barre through Burlington. Also see Sun Country Highway Map - if you have dual chargers, there are some high current (72/80 amp) J1772's north of the boarder, including 72A in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, Québec (off A35). Even if you only have one charger, you can still get 40A

I was in Lebanon today; no signs of activity at the proposed Leb supercharger site.

thank you. I checked plugshare but once in Canada it shows nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Once near Montreal if you're tight on range we have two owners in Candiac with 80A HPWC on 240V (60mi/h charge) and also one 80A HPWC at the Alt Hotel (underground garage, freely accessible) at the Dix30 outlets (Highway 10 and 30 crossing point)

Links to owners on plugshare (there are many more): Here and Here

Link to the Alt Hotel: Plugshare Link

Then depending on your destination you can then Supercharge at the Montreal Service Center faster.

The ChaDeMo charger are all listed on PlugShare but from the US Border to Montreal there are none really useful going to Montreal.

Thank you so much. I'm going to Carignan a bit south of Montreal, yes I will be for sure tight. I'm a bit puzzled on home listed chargers, incl. the ones you mentioned. How can I pay there?

- - - Updated - - -

There a many CHAdeMO options on route, whether in White River Junction, Montepelier, or Burlington. However, please note that most are either 22 kW by design, or are 43 kW Nissan units where most Model S are restricted to 25 kW (about 125 km per hour).

Currently, you need the Chargepoint card or app for the majority of the stations, even though they are mostly free. The exception is the pair in WRJ that require no card for the time-being, but are slated to go on the evGo network very soon.

thank you got the chargepoint card already and before we leave on Friday i should get the chademo also.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you going to Montreal or around the Montreal area?

If you are going up north, there is a 50kW CHAdeMO station near exit 28 on hwy 15. Its on AZRA network (smartphone app operated). My HPWC(40amps outside, 80amps inside garage) is also available on PlugShare, I'm right next to exit 25.

Let me know.

many thanks for your kindness. I'm going to Carignan. Is that far from you?

Can you post a trip report when you get back, with charging stops, etc?

My brother lives in Montreal, so I'm interested in how the trip works for you prior to the West Leb and Burlington Superchargers (both up and back).

I'm really interested to hear how this goes as well. I'm a new Model S owner, and I plan on making the trip from Boston to Montreal about once a month. I haven't yet had the chance to take the MS, but I'm pretty excited to give it a shot. I've just received the CHAdeMO adapter, which seems like it should make the trip possible.

And when the West Lebanon and/or northern Vermont superchargers come online, that should make this trip downright easy.

@RiverBrick, are you saying that the WRJ CHAdeMO stations are both free, and require no network membership? They are marked as NRG in PlugShare.

Can you post a trip report when you get back, with charging stops, etc?

My brother lives in Montreal, so I'm interested in how the trip works for you prior to the West Leb and Burlington Superchargers (both up and back).

Cool I will, that's where my brother is also.
Where are you located in MA?

Last edited:
@RiverBrick, are you saying that the WRJ CHAdeMO stations are both free, and require no network membership? They are marked as NRG in PlugShare.

According to user comments, the NRG evGO networking of the units hasn't yet gone live, so for now charging is free. evGo customer support isn't even aware of the stations yet. One plugshare user wrote that he tried to sign up for a card and the representative thought Vermont wasn't in the USA.

Green Mountain Power is apparently behind the project. I would suggest emailing them. Last year, I had a question about their CHAdeMO in Montpelier and they got right back to me.

We travel every month or two from Boston to just outside Montreal but have never tried doing the trip in the Model S. Curious to know if/how it would work so please update. Can't wait for a Supercharger in VT.
So I just plugged Hooksett and Montreal into evtripplanner.com. Using sort of worst case numbers (P85D, 1.1 speed, 600lb load), I get 89.3kWh/298 rated miles in either direction (despite the mountains in VT, there's only 100 ft net elevation change). Slow down (10% under speed limit; 0.9 speed multiplier), and it drops to 238 rated miles.

With either a CHAdeMO adapter or dual chargers, it should be manageable with a charge stop on the way. Options for 80A charging in the middle of the trip seem limited; there are 72A chargers north of the boarder (Sun Country Highway in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC), which may be to close to the end to be of much use (and it doesn't look like there's much to do in the area). A Model S owner in Hanover has generously listed his 80A HPWC on plugshare.

If it were me, I'd plan a stop in Hanover, NH and use either the 30A chargepoints in the town garage, or the HPWC on plugshare (if available). My worst-case numbers for Hanover to Montreal are 220 rated miles. Worst case, 2 hours in the garage while you have dinner should do it. Maybe an hour in Burlington just to be safe. I did the Lake Champlain dinner cruise once; that's a fun way to kill some charge time.

Spend some time exploring plugshare, sun country highway, and evtripplanner:
PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!
Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway
EV Trip Planner

Hey Llavalle - where is this at? I don't see exits #28 and #25 on Canada highway 15 North of the U.S. border...?

Would like to know as I'll be going back that way next time (need to stop at border station to do NEXUS stuff ;-) )

thx! Rob

Hey Llavalle - where is this at? I don't see exits #28 and #25 on Canada highway 15 North of the U.S. border...?

Would like to know as I'll be going back that way next time (need to stop at border station to do NEXUS stuff ;-) )

thx! Rob

Sorry if that was not clear. I was referring to "Highway 15 North".. in other words, North of Montreal. It's actual name is "Autoroute des Laurentides".. or Laurentian Autoroute in english. Highway 15 is made of 3 distinct sections :

Southern Section : From I-87 (US) to the Champlain Bridge that goes over the St-Lawrence into montreal
Central Section : From the Champlain Bridge to the HWY 40, called "Decarie Highway" - that's where the Montreal Supercharger + Service Center are located.
Northern Section : From the HWY40 (a bit to the east) up to route 117, called Laurentian Autoroute.

Quebec Autoroute 15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are all Highway number 15 but the exits number recount from zero from the 40 and up. Exit 0 to 68 on the central and south part, then continuing north, 0 up to 89. And keep in mind that since we use the metric system, Exit 25 is around 25km north of the 40.

Here are direct links
The CHAdeMO Station : AZRA - Halte de la Cité | Mirabel, QC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
My home charger : | Blainville, QC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Tesla SC : Montréal Ferrier Supercharger | Montréal, QC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Coming from the us, they are not really helping you get to Montreal but if you're travelling up north (north of Montreal), feel free to drop by.

I just finished my first road trip ever from Boston to Montreal and back. I won't lie, I was pretty nervous, particularly after reading about what a horrible experience omega had the week prior.

Boston to Montreal:
Charged up at hookset. Proceeded to the Nissan CHAdeMO unit at Hampton Inn, WRJ. I called up eVgo the day before, and they confirmed to me over the phone that the unit wasn't yet in for-pay mode, so I would be able to charge for free. First ever use of the CHAdeMO adapter, managed to connect everything and.... nothing. Unit's display had the eVgo logo, and a small "101" printed. No matter what I did, nothing changed. Called eVgo, and they said they were not able to communicate with the unit and it would need service. Stress level rising. We still had plenty of juice, though, so we proceeded to Vermont State Employees Credit Union's Fuji CHAdeMO. ICE'd when we first pulled in, but the driver returned and moved within 1 minute of us arriving. This one was easy. Authorized, plugged in, and boom, 30kW charging. The session ended after an 1 hour, but that was enough to get us all the way to Montreal with 35% left.

Montreal to Boston:
Used the Montreal Supercharger twice over the weekend. Pretty interesting setup, with two SC stalls and three HPWCs. Charged up the night before, to leave early this morning. Started off in the rain, which had a surprisingly large effect on efficiency. I was getting slightly nervous about that, but I'm still really inexperienced and I do know that weather makes all the difference. Rain let up, and I pulled into Freedom Nissan in South Burlington. I really struggled to get this CHAdeMO connector mated to the adapter. It took me like 5 tries - just enough for me to start worrying it wasn't going to happen. But, in the end, 40kW for about an hour. The guys at the dealership were super cool. I stole an idea from another poster and brough them some donuts :) One thing that was weird, was this unit was on ChargePoint and claimed to cost $2 per session. I authorized successfully, but the ChargePoint app didn't show anything and I haven't been charged. Made it 40% Hookset. Easy as pie.

This weekend was kind of huge for me. My wife and I travel between Boston and Montreal about once a month, and this trip was really going to be the deciding factor on wether this car will work for us. It worked out wonderfully, but I can't help but think I might have gotten a little lucky. I cannot wait for more Superchargers along this route. As another said - range anxiety isn't really thing, but charger anxiety is. And I felt that for sure.

I'm looking forward to the day when the CHAdeMO adapter is only there in the trunk as a backup, but for now, it seems to do (with a little luck on your side).

I'm looking forward to the day when the CHAdeMO adapter is only there in the trunk as a backup, but for now, it seems to do (with a little luck on your side).
Here you pick up the core of the matter. The greatest weakness of CHAdeMO isn't its low charging rate (relative to a SpC), but the fact that they are almost always singletons. Even if a SpC or two are unavailable (electrically or physically), there are always more at the site.

I just finished my first road trip ever from Boston to Montreal and back. I won't lie, I was pretty nervous, particularly after reading about what a horrible experience omega had the week prior.

Boston to Montreal:
Charged up at hookset. Proceeded to the Nissan CHAdeMO unit at Hampton Inn, WRJ. I called up eVgo the day before, and they confirmed to me over the phone that the unit wasn't yet in for-pay mode, so I would be able to charge for free. First ever use of the CHAdeMO adapter, managed to connect everything and.... nothing. Unit's display had the eVgo logo, and a small "101" printed. No matter what I did, nothing changed. Called eVgo, and they said they were not able to communicate with the unit and it would need service. Stress level rising. We still had plenty of juice, though, so we proceeded to Vermont State Employees Credit Union's Fuji CHAdeMO. ICE'd when we first pulled in, but the driver returned and moved within 1 minute of us arriving. This one was easy. Authorized, plugged in, and boom, 30kW charging. The session ended after an 1 hour, but that was enough to get us all the way to Montreal with 35% left.

Montreal to Boston:
Used the Montreal Supercharger twice over the weekend. Pretty interesting setup, with two SC stalls and three HPWCs. Charged up the night before, to leave early this morning. Started off in the rain, which had a surprisingly large effect on efficiency. I was getting slightly nervous about that, but I'm still really inexperienced and I do know that weather makes all the difference. Rain let up, and I pulled into Freedom Nissan in South Burlington. I really struggled to get this CHAdeMO connector mated to the adapter. It took me like 5 tries - just enough for me to start worrying it wasn't going to happen. But, in the end, 40kW for about an hour. The guys at the dealership were super cool. I stole an idea from another poster and brough them some donuts :) One thing that was weird, was this unit was on ChargePoint and claimed to cost $2 per session. I authorized successfully, but the ChargePoint app didn't show anything and I haven't been charged. Made it 40% Hookset. Easy as pie.

This weekend was kind of huge for me. My wife and I travel between Boston and Montreal about once a month, and this trip was really going to be the deciding factor on wether this car will work for us. It worked out wonderfully, but I can't help but think I might have gotten a little lucky. I cannot wait for more Superchargers along this route. As another said - range anxiety isn't really thing, but charger anxiety is. And I felt that for sure.

I'm glad you guys made it!
I look forward to the days when we won't need a "plan" to make the trips we want just like with ICE cars.