Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compass and Elevation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how long it's been like this but my upper right touchscreen corner just says N/A.

Is this from the last firmware or is my GPS kaput?

Mine's been accurate since I got it (haven't checked for ~1 week though). I wonder if setting a special charge rate somewhere would stick (or un-stick if you moved the car)?

No headlight changes and no yellow fault light.

I noticed on the way home that the upper white letters where the compass (now) reads N/A also has the smaller light blue elevation letters also read N/A as well.

Does anyone know if the "Elevation" continues in 100ft increments? I'm just curious as I went over the Sunshine Skyway today and finally saw my readout jump to 100ft and then 200ft. It normally stays constantly on 0ft in Sarasota.
214.jpg

BTW, very cool ride!

(Now also curious if you found out what your problem was Eric?)

Does anyone know if the "Elevation" continues in 100ft increments?
If it doesn't it should. I wouldn't trust GPS based altitude to better than 100ft. (It's basically due to geometry why GPS does much better at 2D horizontal measurement than it does for altitude.) A calibrated barometer does better than GPS for altitude, but I don't know if the Roadster uses one.

For what is is worth, I was charging the other day at a public charge spot, and was looking through the various menus on my Leaf's nav screen. On the GPS info screen it showed my elevation as -62 feet. I know for sure I wasn't below sea level.

For what is is worth, I was charging the other day at a public charge spot, and was looking through the various menus on my Leaf's nav screen. On the GPS info screen it showed my elevation as -62 feet. I know for sure I wasn't below sea level.
This is quite common. GPS isn't accurate on that scale and a barometer has to be calibrated for changes in the weather.

Yeah, I think that is particularly notable for pilots trying to land on instruments that need to make sure they know when they are about to touch down...

Altimeter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...An altimeter... is more reliable, and often more accurate, than a GPS receiver for measuring altitude; GPS may be unavailable, for example, when one is deep in a canyon, or may give wildly inaccurate altitudes when all available satellites are near the horizon...

It's about to get a lot more crowded soon too.

The Galileo system will have assured "safety of life" signals that can give accurate altitude information to airliners, for example. GPS III will have similar. A tri-system receiver that can use both these and Russia's GLONASS would mean you'd almost always have satellites overhead.

...Although I think it also proves my point as your graphic never shows less than 7 satellites visible at any one time.

For whatever reason, I think that much of the time a particular receiver may not be able to lock onto all ~7+ at once.
Maybe they only support less channels, or they found one closer to the horizon sooner, or the antenna is obstructed by something. Particularly in a car there may be some directional preference on the reception. I suppose that some of the sats are out of operation at times too.
I don't recall exactly, but I think I have noticed GPS receivers typically only using 3 or 4 at a time.