Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

late lunch meetup after June 9th shareholders meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lorih

May 12, 2013
Some people have already suggested meeting up for lunch, so I am starting a new thread to discuss. I organized a group buffet lunch at a restaurant right next to Computer History museum last year, and I am happy to do so again.

the benefit of this location is that we can park at computer history museum, walk across for lunch and make it back for meeting. Anyone that knows downtown Mountain View know traffic and parking are horrendous during lunch time, so this is a good option.

Meeting starts at 2pm this year (last year was 11, so we had lunch after rush). Given the time this year, reserving a room with a buffet seems like an even better idea.

Who is in?

11:30 then, but we would still need reservations and/group buffet depending how many want to join us. If we go back to Cucina Venti like last year, they were able to accommodate up to 15 to order off the menu or up to 50+ with buffet. But last year meeting was earlier, so we went at 1:00 after lunch crowd, and had a whole part of the restaurant to ourselves.

I am sure they would do the same for us, but 11:30-1:00 is peak business hours, so we would definitely need to arrange in advance.

I need rough head count to start conversation with the owner. So far I think we have 5 folks, which would be easy, but I suspect we will get more, especially if I start contacting locals that I know will be at the shareholders meeting.

Lori, Thanks for taking this on. I'm not sure if Bonnie meant late before the meeting or if she was referring to going after the meeting. One of the issues I worry about is not getting into the main room. In another thread, I had asked what time should we be in line for a 2pm meeting and someone said noon; otherwise, I might end up in the overflow room. I obviously would like to see Elon in person as I would expect everyone else would.

How early did everyone have to be there last year? My husband and I and two others from Scottsdale are up for a meal, but I think we were all leaning toward a time after the meeting. It might make for more interesting conversation since we'll know more about the direction they're taking. What do you think?

Lori, Thanks for taking this on. I'm not sure if Bonnie meant late before the meeting or if she was referring to going after the meeting. One of the issues I worry about is not getting into the main room. In another thread, I had asked what time should we be in line for a 2pm meeting and someone said noon; otherwise, I might end up in the overflow room. I obviously would like to see Elon in person as I would expect everyone else would.

How early did everyone have to be there last year? My husband and I and two others from Scottsdale are up for a meal, but I think we were all leaning toward a time after the meeting. It might make for more interesting conversation since we'll know more about the direction they're taking. What do you think?

I have gone to the meetinglast two years. They do not start letting people in until 1/2 hr before, and I have never seen a line. People pretty much mill around chatting in the parking lot, and head in. I know each year folks consider this more of an "event", but I can't see getting in line before 1:00.

Count me in, too - will be fun to meet some fellow forward-thinking financial geniuses. :)

We are geniuses! I noticed you're in Pacific Grove. We have 2 sets of friends that live there. It's beautiful!

I noticed this thread sort of petered out and I wanted to get things rolling again. Is everyone ok with a possible 345 or 4pm time? I did go to Cucina Venti's website and really liked the menu. I noticed a reservation link and checked to see available times. It looks like we could book for either time and the most I could have booked for was 16. Should we just hold a reservation and reduce it if less than that show up? I think the 4pm time slot would work and if we show up a little earlier, the restaurant should be able to accommodate.

Great! We're up to 10 or 11.

I called the restaurant about two weeks ago, and confirmed that I was organizing another group event and alerted them of the date. As last year, they can handle up to 14 off the menu, but up to 50+ with buffet.

i was thinking I would get a final count about 7-10 days before event. I am bringing 2-3 folks that are shareholders but not part of this forum. So that actually probably already brings us to "buffet quota" already.

I will be setting up a link (evite or Anyvite)v next week, but first I do need a vote. 11:30-1:0, or 3:45 til whenever? I think most folks want later, but some people might not want to so later (flights back home, back to work, or not wanting to deal with 4-7 pm SV traffic), so rather than just saying, "I'm in", please vote on a time.

I will then set up RSVP and you can respond there with total numbers., and coordinate menu with restaurant. As with last year, I will be sure they have enough choices got omnivores, vegetarians, vegan, and gluten-free folks.

I am so looking forward to seeing everyone again!!

The actual menu, and cost will depend on the number of people, that is why I am trying to get the numbers to coordinate with the owner of the restaurant. Last year (if I remember correctly) about 20 people. The buffet included one chicken dish, one lamb dish, side vegetables, salad, one gluten-free pasta dish, appetizer, bread, dessert and a soft drink. I can't remember price, but it was about $25-35 each including tax and tip, and everyone ate til they were very full, plus leftovers, and we had an entire portion of the restaurant to ourselves.

I suspect I will easily be able to negotiate a similar deal as they remembered me right away when I called them.

Here are a few things I learned last year:

-the buffet turns out to be much cheaper than eating off the menu
-we can have more than 14 people in our group
- we can all eat at the same time, get up and move around if we want, and eat however much we want
-it is a lot more social than multicourse sit down service
-Ordering off the menu is difficult for fancy restaurants with very large parties (for example getting 20 different dishes prepared to serve at the same time, and also, what if they only have enough salmon for 12 orders, and 13 people want that?). By corrordinating in advance, they bought special things for us (for example, gluten-free pasta isn't a menu item), and they could prepare some things in advance, so we could all eat at the same time.
-It also makes the bill easier, we split bill equally, folks only had to chip in more if they ordered drinks.

I will give complete details at least a week before the event, I hope your other friends can join us.