Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a photo of old and new.

TeslaTowHooks.jpg

The old hook is about 6 1/8" long, the new one about 7 1/4".

The new hook doesn't fit in the tool kit, at least for my 2008.

They changed the ribs under the trunk floor mat in the more recent Roadsters so the tool kit and the fix-a-flat can be stowed there. (I assume this happened when they switched from carbon fiber to plastic.) It's a nice touch. I'd be curious to hear from a new owner if the new hook still fits there.

For me, I think it's time to abandon the little tool holder and put the tools between the ribs under the floor mat, maybe with some cloth lining to keep them from rattling around.

The old hook is about 6 1/8" long, the new one about 7 1/4".

The new hook doesn't fit in the tool kit, at least for my 2008.

The tow hook that came with my car, VIN #919, is identical to the "new" one in your picture. I always wondered why it just barely fit into the tool pouch; the pouch kinda bulges but does close up. And it does fit under the trunk floor mat, no problem.

Last edited:
For me, I think it's time to abandon the little tool holder and put the tools between the ribs under the floor mat, maybe with some cloth lining to keep them from rattling around.
Tom,
You can still used the tool holder while storing it under the 2008 trunk floor mat. Unwrap the tool holder and lay it face down straddling one of the ribs on the right side. You'll find that, moving the tools around in the holder will allow it to fit nicely under the trunk floor mat with the tools held snuggly in the holder.

Last edited:
The reason that they gave in the accompanying letter was that the shorter one resulted in the tow rope not clearing the body work.

Wifey called me "Were you expecting anything from Tesla? I can't tell for sure but I think they've sent you an iron bar." I got the same reception when I dropt the old one into the FedEx out tray at the office as it landed with a thunk.

My new one is marked up E519 also. Part number or batch I wonder? Odd that they'd swap out a similar part. My original was the short black one that tomsax had. Perhaps the E501 version is weaker.

I think they're just different batch numbers. As far as I could tell they were otherwise identical. That said, I switched hooks anyway.

Doug, I see your notice has a sticker over the "please return the old one" that says "no need to return the old one." Curious.

Do you supposed the old ones are made of iron-plated gold? :)

Maybe they realized that it wasn't worth getting back 1000+ useless tow hooks.

Or maybe it's because I'm in Canada. Different rules? Cost more that it's worth to ship it? Who knows...