Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next NYS Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've a soon to be Tesla owner in Rochester NY. Looking back through the history of the Supercharger buildout I'm really impressed with the scope and scale of the network construction... even in the economic backwoods of Upstate NY! Its the type of thing the enables the future success of Tesla and EVs in general. With Buffalo and Syracuse Online in the next few weeks... where do people think the next NY State Supercharger should go?

Here's my list.

1) PA Line (near Erie) - Enables travel to points west. Buffalo to Cleveland is 189 miles.... which seems OK for Model S. Unless it is cold. And I swear it was snowing this morning again. So to use a Tesla with the Supercharger network from November to the end of April... need this one. I can't even get my new Tesla home from Cleveland so it needs to be shipped!

2) Binghamton. As another thread noted... Pennsylvania is like a giant hole (sure would be nice to have Scranton/Allentown SC). For travel to NYC, NJ or Philadelphia or Balt/DC on the supercharger network you can only take the Great Circle route through Albany. That's not very interesting since 6 hours in the car is enough already... without adding 2-3 hours through Albany. So I know that driving from Western NY to that area is really not a primetime route, but if you add the Toronto area drivers into the mix I think you have enough demand to justify it.

3) Plattsburgh. Partly because I went to school in the North Country. Montreal is an awesome, big, rich city. NYC is the same. That's the connection point between the two. Doesn't really affect me any more though.

4) Rochester. I live in Rochester... but don't really need one personally if I live here. Syracuse to Buffalo is 150 miles... should be ok in the winter for through traffic??? If not then put one here and it bumps up to 1B next to Erie.

5) Hornell. This is nice to connect "Erie" and "Binghamton"... which both don't exist as of yet. Also nobody likes to drive on Rt 17/86 from Jamestown to Corning because its so bumpy. I do drive to DC through this area, but I can't see it being as useful as above.

Anyways just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

Anyone from Québec would say

1) Plattsburgh
2)
3)
4) Binghamton
5) Erie
6) Anywhere else

No #2 and #3, because Plattsburgh is much more needed than anywhere else. Everyone requires it to connect to Albany in the Winter. 60s need it year-round. If you're coming from the Drummondville Supercharger, you want Plattsburgh to avoid a time-consuming detour to the only 2-stall Montreal Supercharger.

To be honest, it would be better if the Superchargers were South of Plattsburgh. Where the marker currently stands, it's much closer to Montreal than to Albany. Travel between Albany and Plattsburgh will mean charging to 100% in the Winter, whereas somewhere better centered would allow stopping at 80%.

There's actually a rest stop off I-87 in the Adirondacks that would be an ideal location. However, since it's in the Adirondack park there could be zoning or logistical restrictions.

> Also nobody likes to drive on Rt 17/86 from Jamestown to Corning because its so bumpy. [DFiveK2]

Actually, this has all been rebuilt and finished just recently. The I-86: Erie > Lake Chautaugua > Hornell > Binghamton stretch is truly delightful compared to years ago when those who tried it said: "Never again!!" And I-88 (Binghamton to Albany) is nicer than in the past, showing recent repairs and repaving efforts. Just drove it both ways in a diesel truck/trailer. I'd recommend this to anyone facing an I-80 or I-70 crossing of Pennsylvania. Try it, you'll like it.
--