Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip from Seattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're planning to drive. Trying to decide if taking our 9 y.o. (who is just the right amount of geeky) would be a wise idea, since it looks like she won't be able to attend most of the events, but she wants to see the factory and take the road trip.

Anybody have any experience with it? Thanks!

We're planning to drive. Trying to decide if taking our 9 y.o. (who is just the right amount of geeky) would be a wise idea, since it looks like she won't be able to attend most of the events, but she wants to see the factory and take the road trip.

Anybody have any experience with it? Thanks!

Check with the people in charge, but I believe Tesla still has an age limit for children to go on the factory tour, and last I saw it (a year ago) it was higher than 9. Just to avoid disappointment ...

Edit:

Someone posted that they have a height limit of 48" as of last August. Worth checking in either case.

Last edited:
We will be driving down from Seattle to attend our first TMC connect, but have not looked at the details of the trip yet. EV road trip with a new 85D will be a first-time experiance, but it gets simpler all the time from what I've read over the last year.

Trying to decide if taking our 9 y.o. (who is just the right amount of geeky) would be a wise idea

If the factory is in operation, then no - it's way too dangerous for a child. There's just too much activity, forklifts, transports, and robots where a child could get in trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm driving down from Portland - the weird thing about driving via Superchargers is you keep meeting up with the same people over and over as you go north or south on I-5 - there's no where else to charge!. Makes it a very friendly experience.

Check with the people in charge, but I believe Tesla still has an age limit for children to go on the factory tour, and last I saw it (a year ago) it was higher than 9. Just to avoid disappointment ...

Edit:

Someone posted that they have a height limit of 48" as of last August. Worth checking in either case.

i took my then 6 and 8 year olds on the factory tour when right before we took delivery of our S. The height requirement is 48" with no age limit imposed. My daughter at the time was only 47" (but she was only 6) I called the person that set up our tour and explained and he said that really if the kids can listen and follow directions from the person leading the tour then height isn't an issue. FWIW my kids LOVED the tour and still tell people about it 18 months later.

I've decided to go. Will either leave Thursday night and stop somewhere along the way or early Friday morning. Thinking of leaving Sunday sometime, but still debating if I'm going to take Monday off and stick around for the picnic. If anyone is interested in traveling together I would be interested in doing so to compare efficiency numbers. PM me or post here if interested.

If the factory is in operation, then no - it's way too dangerous for a child. There's just too much activity, forklifts, transports, and robots where a child could get in trouble.

-

Not if the child is under the watchful eye of a responsible adult. Tesla does not even let adults get into danger zones during the tour. I think this is a great experience for a child.

Most of the tour is actually on a tram, so it's pretty safe. There's a minimum height requirement of 48 inches. I've been on the tour before where there were also some kids. Seemed fine to me. Of course closed-toe shoes, pants, and a shirt with sleeves are required.

Most of the tour is actually on a tram, so it's pretty safe. There's a minimum height requirement of 48 inches. I've been on the tour before where there were also some kids. Seemed fine to me. Of course closed-toe shoes, pants, and a shirt with sleeves are required.

Yup. My 8-yo, 55"-tall son took the tour with us back in December. Most of the time is spent on the tram with a couple of excursions to look at the final assembly line from up above. Completely safe for kids who are old enough and tall enough; they'll love it!

I've decided to go. Will either leave Thursday night and stop somewhere along the way or early Friday morning. Thinking of leaving Sunday sometime, but still debating if I'm going to take Monday off and stick around for the picnic. If anyone is interested in traveling together I would be interested in doing so to compare efficiency numbers. PM me or post here if interested.

I'm leaning more towards leaving Thursday night now. The return trip is still up in the air until we determine what we're doing on Sunday. I've decided to take off Monday but factory tour details are still not in yet. Would love to meet up with someone to travel. Anyone interested post here or PM me.

I'm leaning more towards leaving Thursday night now. The return trip is still up in the air until we determine what we're doing on Sunday. I've decided to take off Monday but factory tour details are still not in yet. Would love to meet up with someone to travel. Anyone interested post here or PM me.

We (Mrs. romp and I) are leaving on Thursday late PM. Will spend the night in central or south Oregon (yet to book the place), expecting to be at TMC on Friday early PM, hoping for the factory tour time slot to be available on Friday PM. We would also love to meet up with other TMC goers. In case we get different cars (S60, 70D, S85, P85, 85D, P85D) driving together extended periods of time, we can compare energy consumption. We're going to take 3 walkie-talkies with us just for this scenario.

Decided to leave our 9 y.o. at home due to logistics of child care while we're attending the TMC events. She's not particularly happy about that, so she will get a separate factory tour some other time.

We will head south on Wednesday the 8th and spend that night at the Best Western Tree House at Mt Shasta CA, then on to arrive at the Hyatt Thursday PM. I promised my wife Mary plenty of Starbucks stops as she isn't keen on long road trips and I'm trying to win her over.

Tentatively (we did sign up) going to Bonnie's soirée Sunday for a little while and then spending Sunday night at the Staybridge Rocklin. We will take a day or two getting back to Seattle at a leisurely pace.

Hopefully we will have some Supercharger encounters enroute, but if not, we look forward to meeting everyone this weekend. We will be in a titanium 85D with WA plates.