Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Basics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just keep reading in this section. Look at the pinned articles - yes many are about eh Roadster and years old - but the issues are the same. Do learn about EVTripplanner.com -- it is great. Level2 refers as far as I can tell to a 220 volt charging system in the non-Tesla world. Generally these are 30 amp, which works out to about 21 miles of charge per hour. A NEMA 14-50 is a 50 amp service and gives you 30 miles per hour. (Not all charging is continuous current draw, so the systems only will allow you to pull 80% of the breaker or stated amp capacity. i.e. a NEMA 14-50 you can pull 40 amps. Some J1772 (also called Level 2) are 50 amp systems. I do not know if the Tesla Adaptor for J1772 can tell a 30 from a 50 amp system. Maybe the 50 amp systems have a different connector themselves.

A suggestion - and this is a matter of personal choice. I think it likely you will want to charge in a garage/drive at home. Many people put in a NEMA 14-50 which can be used with the cables and connectors that are part of your car at delivery. Many people also think it is a good idea to have cables for charging in their cars. Well unplugging and taking the connector for trips gets old. So what I did was buy a second UMC at $650 -- Today you can purchase a HPWC from Tesla for $750. You can use that with a 50 amp circuit - just like the NEMA 14-50 or with a 100 amp service. (You will have to add a second charger to you 70D to get the faster charging rate - another question.) I think the extra $100 for the HPWC is a good idea. First off the cable is a bit longer (it is also heavier and larger). The HPWC is weather proof, so if you want to mount is outside that is fine. Finally the HPWC is physically attached to your house by wires - so nobody is going to take it accidentally or otherwise. If you do decide not to get the HPWC, at least look at the Replacement wall bracket for the HPWC. It is a very nice way to coil and store your UMC and cable as opposed to letting it lay on the floor.

I was in the same situation, although I knew the basic of electricity before and have had one house that ran totally on solar power. However, the EV charging world is different. My education has come by reading this Mode S: Battery & Charging compendium of threads. Charmed specifically has very good data in the thread regarding 25w limitation, but that probably will not be a factor for you in SFO.

My version: Level 1= standard US household outlet 110-120V- 15-20Amps. Generally will charge at 2-3 miles per hour in warm weather, and add nothing in cold weather other than saving the drain due to battery warming.
Level 2= essentially a standard US electric clothes dryer outlet, and the 'standard for typical Plugshare/ChargePoint locations.
CHAdeMO= a fast charger primarily used by Nissan but also a few others. IT has fast charging but for practical purpose can only give 20-30 miles of range to a Model S before overheating, so generally must be stopped every few minutes and restarted. A pain, but still quicker than Level 2
I will not comment on the Tesla-specific options because those are well covered elsewhere.

Frankly, there is nothing quite like taking delivery to focus your mind on this subject. I have devoured everything I can find since taking delivery. Prior to delivery it was all dry and academic. Now it is crucial to life! Actually it all becomes natural and easy very quickly.

Oddly, the CHAdeMO is the area where the biggest questions are. People from Europe (France and Scandinavia, especially, it seems) have a great deal of knowledge on this subject and have a good amount of technical data too. If that subject interests you I suggest reading those geographical threads first. Frankly, Tesla roadside support, CHAdeMO site managers and Tesla service centre people appear to have quite limited experience on this subject. Now that Tesla adapters are on sale that knowledge will probably improve quite rapidly.

I hope that helps a little bit. Have fun! I certainly am.

At the current price point, definitely get the HPWC, installed by a professional. It's a no brainer considering how sexy it looks on your garage wall and you get to keep the UMC in the car with you for maximum range anxiety crushing. I have dual chargers, but haven't really "needed" the feature ... there are times where it has been convenient to have it, e.g., after a day out, quickly getting 60 miles more before going to the city for dinner, or on a Napa day trip, taking advantage of the 80A HPWC at Turnbull Winery to complete my itinerary (there is no SC yet).

- K

CHAdeMO= a fast charger primarily used by Nissan but also a few others. IT has fast charging but for practical purpose can only give 20-30 miles of range to a Model S before overheating, so generally must be stopped every few minutes and restarted. A pain, but still quicker than Level 2
I will not comment on the Tesla-specific options because those are well covered elsewhere.

I have a followup question on this - I just got my CHAdeMO and have not used it yet, but plan to this weekend out of town. Does it help to ratchet your charging amps down to prevent overheating? That might defeat the purpose of a fast charger, but perhaps there's a happy medium at some amp level.

Thanks! (I'm having fun too! :) )

I have a followup question on this - I just got my CHAdeMO and have not used it yet, but plan to this weekend out of town. Does it help to ratchet your charging amps down to prevent overheating? That might defeat the purpose of a fast charger, but perhaps there's a happy medium at some amp level.

Thanks! (I'm having fun too! :) )

You can't adjust amperage on a quick charger - it's controlled by the car and charger. Only on AC charging can you control the power.

We have the CHAdeMO and have used it about a dozen times. Some times for well over 100 miles range(it charges at 150-160 mph). We've never seen the overheating issue. We're in the PNW and use the AV West Coast Electric Highway network. I've probably used it more then the Superchargers and they are at far more places. Best $450 I've spent!

Maybe the Nissan ones overheat? Good to know and look out for.